Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 6, 09, 4:23 pm   #1
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Programs: Marriott Plat, EZ Pass, Back of the Plane Platinum
Posts: 4,228
Airplane-related fiction

So I'm looking for some good airplane-related fiction to read. Books whose story really revolve around the airplane itself...not travel stories.

I've read "Airframe" by Michael Crichton (good) and "High Wire" by Kam Majd (not so good). Any other recommendations? (trains and boats would also be good, I guess.)

Thanks.
bitburgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 09, 4:54 pm   #2
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: SEA
Programs: AS, HH, MR elite. Fly AS/DL/AA. Fmr UA Plat, now Silver, soon Dirt. Also B6, BA, WN, VX, Hyatt.
Posts: 15,479
"No Highway" by Nevil Shute.
"Down to a Sunless Sea" by David Graham.
"Airport" by Arthur Hailey.
"Phoenix Rising" by John Nance.
__________________
United: lowest-ranked major airline in new Airline Quality Ratings, tied for last in JD Power rankings. You're doing a heckuva job, Jeffie.
BearX220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 09, 6:17 pm   #3
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Berlin and Buggenhagen, Germany
Posts: 3,509
Nice topic! I devoured "Night over Water" by Ken Follett. Great read.
http://www.amazon.com/Night-Over-Wat.../dp/0451173139

See link for summary and reviews.
tfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 09, 7:07 pm   #4
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Australia
Programs: NZ *G
Posts: 4,251
Second vote for "Down to a Sunless Sea".....

The "797" is a pretty central character in the story...
trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 09, 7:27 pm   #5
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 34,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfar View Post
Nice topic! I devoured "Night over Water" by Ken Follett. Great read.
http://www.amazon.com/Night-Over-Wat.../dp/0451173139

See link for summary and reviews.
Second resounding vote for Night over water.
__________________
Uncle Sam's FAVORITE Nephew
underpressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 09, 8:11 pm   #6
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: houston
Programs: UA Lifetime Platinum, 2MM since 1981, MAR Lifetime Plat, IHG Plat Amb. Global Entry
Posts: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by underpressure View Post
Second resounding vote for Night over water.
And a third. It has now been ported to the Kindle for your convenience.

Follet always tells a good story and this involves the PanAm Clipper, a special age in flying.
Platcomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 09, 11:33 pm   #7
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Berlin and Buggenhagen, Germany
Posts: 3,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by underpressure View Post
Second resounding vote for Night over water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Platcomike View Post
And a third. It has now been ported to the Kindle for your convenience.

Follet always tells a good story and this involves the PanAm Clipper, a special age in flying.
I am honored but not surprised you liked that, too. I might well read it again because luckily I don't remember how the story ends, so the suspense should still be there the second time. It would be a very nice story for a movie. Like someone on Amazon said, it's like the Orient Express in a plane. Which brings us to Agatha Christie, of course, and fulfills the train and boat story requirements. There is also a movie called Transsibirian Express with Ben Kingsley that's quite good, by the way. Thriller type.

Till
tfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 09, 7:18 am   #8
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Wenatchee, WA
Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Posts: 4,910
Sole Survivor by Dean Koontz. Although the plane isn't the central "character," it is critical to the story line, at least until it crashes.
BLI-Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 09, 7:47 am   #9
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Jersey City NJ
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Posts: 2,920
"Fearless".

Although not strictly about airplanes, a plane crash is the central event in the book. The movie is outstanding as well and is always on my top ten list.
adelauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 09, 8:07 am   #10
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: IAD
Programs: united, american, alaska
Posts: 1,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfar View Post
I am honored but not surprised you liked that, too. I might well read it again because luckily I don't remember how the story ends, so the suspense should still be there the second time. It would be a very nice story for a movie. Like someone on Amazon said, it's like the Orient Express in a plane. Which brings us to Agatha Christie, of course, and fulfills the train and boat story requirements.
Christie also wrote Death in the Air, an Hercule Poirot mystery set on an airplane.

I remember reading a Dick Francis mystery involving a character who couriered horses on international flights, but can't think of the title of it.
mhnadel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 09, 9:45 am   #11
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Jersey City NJ
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Posts: 2,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhnadel View Post
I remember reading a Dick Francis mystery involving a character who couriered horses on international flights, but can't think of the title of it.
"Flying Finish" -- A good read.
adelauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 09, 1:33 pm   #12
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Berlin and Buggenhagen, Germany
Posts: 3,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhnadel View Post
Christie also wrote Death in the Air, an Hercule Poirot mystery set on an airplane.

I remember reading a Dick Francis mystery involving a character who couriered horses on international flights, but can't think of the title of it.
I didn't know that. Thanks!

TIll
tfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 09, 6:07 pm   #13
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Madison NJ
Programs: AAPLT, Marriott Silver, HHGLD
Posts: 3,134
Not fiction (and certainly no literary masterpiece), but highly suggest 747... by Joe Sutter. Gave me a whole new appreciation for all of the corporate BS that he had to go through to get the 747 off the ground (e.g., Boeing's best engineers were allocated to an SST project, Pan Am sent Charles Lindbergh to do some mystery shopping). After all, life imitates fiction . . .
767-322ETOPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 09, 6:11 pm   #14
TalkBoard Member, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.003MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 35,550
Small Worlds by David Lodge (Penguin paperback). It's an academic novel, about travel (plane) to Australia for a conference.
MSPeconomist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 09, 6:20 pm   #15
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Orlando, FL, US
Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Posts: 3,359
Mayday - co-written by Thomas Block and Nelson DeMille. Thomas Block was a pilot for US airways, and wrote the "Flying the Line" monthly column in Flying magazine for many years.
__________________
"It's alright to lose your heart, but never lose your head."
djk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:31 pm.