Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Packing tips - Masterthread: Includes how to pack a suit!

Packing tips - Masterthread: Includes how to pack a suit!

Old Apr 9, 2013, 1:30 pm

waiting to post a photo.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 5:39 am

Question about folded shirts instead of on hangers and then bundling...

I get my shirts boxed from the cleaners, not on hangers. I just leave them in the plastic bags they pack them in at the cleaners and use them in the middle of my bundle, alternating collars.

A business colleague told me about the Eagle Creek pack it system for shirts and said the way I get my shirts makes them crease more. I think he's nuts! He's doing the exact same thing as far as I can tell, with the folding board, I just have the folks at the cleaners do it for me. Yes the shirts are sometimes creased, but after an hour of wearing them with a suit, they flatten right out.

Do you get your shirts on hangers or do you get them boxed? I agree that if you bundle and lay your shirts out putting underwear inside they crease less than if you get them boxed or use the Eagle Creek system. But this is soooo convenient. And I think if you are using the Eagle Creek things you are just wasting (a little) space and weight. Boxed shirts are essentially the same thing. No?

I do like the Eagle Creek suit folder. Bundling is better, but for speed, the suit folder is terrific. Again, no wrinkles, but creases, which do come out quickly with wearing.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 10:32 am

Bundle packing tip:

It can be hard to keep a bundle properly situated while putting it in an unstructured bag, especially if there is a men's suit coat on the outside.

These sew-on hook & loop fasteners are available at stores like Walmart or Target and at fabric shops for less than a dollar each. They are 36" in length and in two pieces, one hook, one loop. You put them together for a strap of customizable length and then use them to fasten your bundle while it is on your bed or folding table. They help keep the bundle formed while moving the whole thing into your bag. I use two of them.

I realize many bags have compression straps, but this is for a different purpose. It is so you can carefully build your bundle on a table or bed and then be able to move it into your luggage without it becoming disheveled. These have no buckles and are virtually weightless.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 5:37 am
Original Poster

23kg/50lbs limit what size suitcase

One of the most common questions in this section of Flyertalk is what suitcase size to choose to stay within the usual 23kg or 50lbs limit.

Here is the simple answer:

The 32" is heavier to start with. Tare weight is higher. Thus net load weight goes down because you have a 50lbs limit.

Besides, on some strict airlines you might run into dimension trouble at check-in.

Also, you usually want stuff to fit snugly into your suitcase. When the suitcase is too big for the contents, things will slide around inside. Normally not desirable.

Only exception, you need to transport things that are rather lightweight but simply don't fit into the smaller 28" frame, e.g. art work or vases.

For ordinary use even a 25 or 26" model will do, when filled with the usual assortment of clothes/shoes and a bit of paperwork or books.

P.S.:
I like the velcro idea above. Thanks!
Old Mar 13, 2014, 5:19 am

Best men's dress shirt folding technique I've seen so far ...

How to fold a dress shirt

There are only so many variations on this theme, but many of the methods I've seen are too fiddly with the sleeves (trying to get all the complex folds you see when you unwrap a new shirt), or fold the sleeves straight down the back instead of across the back, as in this video. For whatever reason, I have found this to be quick, easy, and foolproof, thought I'd share. While the EC Pack-It is perhaps the most loved item around here after an AirBoss bag, I've never seen the need for it. I fold using this method, alternate collars and wrap the shirt bundle with dry cleaning plastic.

Till: I've obsessed over toiletry bags for a few years now, and have several. I finally went minimalist and now use your suggestion of a heavy duty zip-lock bag. I put hair brush, comb, electric toothbrush, disposable razors, shaving soap brush (in drugstore pill box), etcetera in a large freezer bag. I put collar stays, cufflinks, band aids, and pain releivers, stuff not needed in morning grooming, in a small, snack-sized ziplock inside that. Liquids go in their own smaller zip lock, although I've left them in my bag for over a year now and TSA does not seem to care. I notice most folks do not pull out liquids any more. But they are in an easy to grab bag.

It's flat, it weighs nothing, it's a great method. I used to be a luggage/bag freak, now I'm a minimalist freak, and once I let go of the toiletry bag, I felt so relieved. This is me, I guess.

Old Jun 2, 2014, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

JC, thanks for the really nice post and the link to shirt folding. Videos are always great to have. I was amazed how many views my jacket folding video got on Youtoube. Had I known, I would have made it a bit fancier.

BTW: This masterthread was once a sticky for a good reason, I believe. Are the tips not useful anymore?

Till
Old Jun 4, 2014, 8:01 am

I think it is terribly useful. Don't know why it's become so inactive. Should still be stickied, IMO, regardless.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 1:08 am

Programs: Ex CO/ UA Gold, Hotels.. TBD
Please STICKY IT! Who the mod?
Old Jun 6, 2014, 1:40 am
Suspended

Just put the suit in. You have to press it anyways when you get there so why bother wasting a lot of time trying to pack things this way.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 2:43 pm

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by JCinPA
Bundle packing tip:

It can be hard to keep a bundle properly situated while putting it in an unstructured bag, especially if there is a men's suit coat on the outside.

These sew-on hook & loop fasteners are available at stores like Walmart or Target and at fabric shops for less than a dollar each. They are 36" in length and in two pieces, one hook, one loop. You put them together for a strap of customizable length and then use them to fasten your bundle while it is on your bed or folding table. They help keep the bundle formed while moving the whole thing into your bag. I use two of them.

I realize many bags have compression straps, but this is for a different purpose. It is so you can carefully build your bundle on a table or bed and then be able to move it into your luggage without it becoming disheveled. These have no buckles and are virtually weightless.
Instead of using the velcro straps you mention here, I find that it's a lot easier to accomplish the same goal by using packing folders (you can find an example here). I still pack in the bundle-pack fashion (in other words, I don't fold each shirt separately), but I use these folders to wrap up the bundle. In fact, I take out the plastic insert boards that come in the folders, so that all I'm using is the cloth folder. They have no buckles and are virtually weightless - like the velcro straps you're using - but the wrap up the bundle even more efficiently and effectively, and make moving the bundle around in my luggage or at the hotel as easy as can be. Works for me.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by JCinPA
Question about folded shirts instead of on hangers and then bundling...

I get my shirts boxed from the cleaners, not on hangers. I just leave them in the plastic bags they pack them in at the cleaners and use them in the middle of my bundle, alternating collars.

A business colleague told me about the Eagle Creek pack it system for shirts and said the way I get my shirts makes them crease more. I think he's nuts! He's doing the exact same thing as far as I can tell, with the folding board, I just have the folks at the cleaners do it for me. Yes the shirts are sometimes creased, but after an hour of wearing them with a suit, they flatten right out.

Do you get your shirts on hangers or do you get them boxed? I agree that if you bundle and lay your shirts out putting underwear inside they crease less than if you get them boxed or use the Eagle Creek system. But this is soooo convenient. And I think if you are using the Eagle Creek things you are just wasting (a little) space and weight. Boxed shirts are essentially the same thing. No?

I do like the Eagle Creek suit folder. Bundling is better, but for speed, the suit folder is terrific. Again, no wrinkles, but creases, which do come out quickly with wearing.
I like the bundling method (I use sort of a hybrid approach) but I don't think it is best for starched dress shirts when done the normal method. I like to get my shirts done folded and boxed but also get them done regularly (on hangers) for when I'm not traveling. So, I sometimes find myself needing to pack my starched dress shirts that are on hangers because I'm short or out on boxed ones. As far as the most wrinkle free at destination I will give you my own personal experience ranking: 1) garment bag on a hanger (but as I'm a ONE BAG NINJA I don't usually use this because I like to use luggage that also works for casual dress travel and will never be asked to be gate checked 2) folded shirts from the cleaners (where they are individually plastic wrapped and have a piece of cardboard within them. (when put on a hanger the wrinkles from folding usually disappear overnight) 3) folded shirts you do yourself with the help of an Eagle Creek folder (HINT: they can now be the CORE of your bundle and the bundle itself will protect them) This is very close to being as good as from the cleaners but their piece of plastic, collar cardboard and base cardboard help the shirts come out better 4) dress shirts put into a typical bundle done the typically described way.

The good news is that the differences between each method are really minimal in most situations. But, when time is at a premium, or you are going somewhere where you won't have access to an iron then go for choices 1-3. If you use choice 4 then never take your jacket off, lol.

PS:
The Eagle Creek Medium sized Specter folder only weighs 8 ounces. so, if you fold yourself you will probably save on weight compared to the folded ones from the cleaners (adding up the cardboard and plastic) plus you have extra anti shift wrinkle protection and some compression to save space. I'm one to scrutinize every ounce and this particular packing helper meets my test since its net utility is outstanding and net weight is low. This folder can become your bundle core providing you are not going crazy with your additions to it.

Last edited by 1holegrouper; Jun 12, 2014 at 9:47 am Reason: add PS
Old Oct 5, 2014, 10:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Bumping this since I thought it was a sticky

I referred someone on another forum to this and thought it was still a sticky. Perhaps it should be.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 12:59 am

Programs: AA, Delta Kryptonium (DM) Hyatt Diamond IHG Fake Plat (Ambassador), HH Gold
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I referred someone on another forum to this and thought it was still a sticky. Perhaps it should be.
Agreed. If it is not going to remain a sticky can you please share why?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.