Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reasonable Rimowa Prices?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2016, 4:17 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
That would be a blatant breach of EU rules to limit sales to anywhere within the EU.
Not necessarily (at least not due to the exporter). In some cases, local or national restrictions may apply and exporting to or even selling in a member state of the EU is prohibited or severely restricted. Obviously these restrictions have to fulfill several criteria to be legally acceptable. Sale of medicine, alcohol, tobacco were or still are restricted.

The EU watchdogs keep a close look on these restrictions and intervene if necessary.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Rimowa luggage hardly falls into this category
Old Oct 3, 2016, 12:08 pm

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
Would anyone know if there is a Rimowa factory store out there? How about an outlet store?
Old Oct 5, 2016, 5:16 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
[joke] Moderator, please change thread to discounted LVMH luggage [/joke off]

Last edited by shuuy; Oct 6, 2016 at 1:15 pm Reason: sarcasm not clear
Old Oct 5, 2016, 7:48 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by shuuy
Moderator, please change thread to discounted LVMH luggage
The transaction has not closed yet. So Rimowa is not discounted LVMH luggage.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 4:04 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Even after the transaction closes, Rimowa will remain a distinct brand, & will not be known as 'LVMH luggage'.

LVMH did not buy the cachet & appeal of the Rimowa brand to throw it away. Samsonite left both their brand Hartmann & Tumi alone, and went on to invest even more in the Hartmann brand, which most people don't even know is owned by Samsonite!
Old Oct 7, 2016, 8:14 am

Has anyone found the Salsa Sport trunk in stock anywhere? I'm talking in either size, any colour. I've only seen the Topas version available on koffer-direkt. Everywhere else seems to be sold out until November but I won't be in the EU that long.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 10:54 pm

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer
Originally Posted by Canaan
I had to buy new suitcases for our holiday. I bought two Topas with electronic tag. Since I flew with BA and AA I couldn't use the display / Electronic Tag. Will fly Lufthansa in September and test if it works.
Hope they add more Airlines soon.
How did you go with the Electronic Tag? Or is it more a gimmick?
Old Oct 11, 2016, 11:36 am

Just received the two 32" Topas I bought. They look really huge. They are at about 64" (h+w+d) just over the 62" limit. Any body actually get charged for oversize for checked luggage with the 32" Topas? Maybe I should exchange them for the 29". Although the 29" is only $40 cheaper and 1lb lighter.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA
What's the best way to get a VAT refund on this and get it out of the country? I envision shipping to London, but then I have to show the luggage to the customs people at LHR... but then will I be able to check in the suitcase at the airline after this customs VAT refund business? Hope someone can walk me through it (esp for LHR)
Old Oct 12, 2016, 4:30 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Need
Just received the two 32" Topas I bought. They look really huge. They are at about 64" (h+w+d) just over the 62" limit. Any body actually get charged for oversize for checked luggage with the 32" Topas? Maybe I should exchange them for the 29". Although the 29" is only $40 cheaper and 1lb lighter.
Unless subject to a laser sizing device -- Qantas in Australia has some but most airports have no such thing in use at check-in -- it's highly unlikely to be a problems unless your bag is also over the weight of your free checked baggage allowance (inclusive of any waivers).
Old Oct 12, 2016, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Unless subject to a laser sizing device -- Qantas in Australia has some but most airports have no such thing in use at check-in -- it's highly unlikely to be a problems unless your bag is also over the weight of your free checked baggage allowance (inclusive of any waivers).
Thanks! I decided to take them back to Bloomingdale and exchange them for the 29" ones. They are a little too big even for us. It is about 3 inches taller than our current luggage but thinner. I think the 29" will have less spaces than our current but only by a little... will probably help with the weight as we will pack less.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by Need
Thanks! I decided to take them back to Bloomingdale and exchange them for the 29" ones. They are a little too big even for us. It is about 3 inches taller than our current luggage but thinner. I think the 29" will have less spaces than our current but only by a little... will probably help with the weight as we will pack less.
I was following what you were doing and also think i will go with the 29's instead of the larger ones..
Old Oct 14, 2016, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by bulbmogul
I was following what you were doing and also think i will go with the 29's instead of the larger ones..
I found out that the 29" is actually the exact same size as my old luggage. Well the old one is nylon and has the expandable zipper but otherwise it is the same size. It is only 2lb heavier than my old luggage.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 11:56 am

A bit off topic. Firstly to mention "reasonable prices" and "Rimowa" in one sentence is an oxymoron.
And now that LVMH ( ( Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton ) bought 80% of Rimowa this ensures that there will be even less chances of "reasonable". Who knew that Rimowa would be such an attractive company with such a distinctive product to warrant a $ 719 million investment and become part of LVMH's portfolio.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.