Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Sign in using an external account

Old Nov 5, 09, 4:50 pm   #1

Programs: AA, Hertz, Marriott, Hilton
Comfortable jeans for men - recommendations?

Hello,

Does anyone have any recommended brands for mens jeans?

For many years I have preferred LL Bean's Double L Relaxed Fit jeans. However, while they still have the best "fit" of any jeans I have ever worn, the colors they are currently offering are uninspired at best.

I'm looking for jeans that can serve a variety of purposes - i.e. something comfortable that can be used for travel as well as other casual use - perhaps even paired with a nice shirt for a dinner out. I'm not necessarily looking for anything trendy. I would prefer a darker blue color - something in a relaxed fit. I have tried jeans from both Lands End and Eddie Bauer, and while they offer better color choices than LL Bean, their jeans just don't fit me well - they tend to be too snug in the hips and thighs (even their 'relaxed' fit jeans). And virtually all of the 'designer' jeans I have tried tend to hang much too low on the waist for my preference.

If anyone can offer any suggestions for jeans brands I should take a look at, I would greatly appreciate it.
Digits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 09, 5:00 pm   #2

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Have you passed your color concerns on to LL Bean?
Old Nov 5, 09, 6:52 pm   #3
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP75, IHG/PC Plat Ambassador, Choice Plat, National Executive Elite
Don't laugh but I bought two pair of Real Work jeans from Rural King in 2006 for $9.99 each; although I generally wear dress slacks I still feel comfortable wearing these out in public despite these being used for yard work, crawling under the house, gardening, etc.

I don't know your location (not disclosed in profile).
Old Nov 5, 09, 6:59 pm   #4

Programs: AA, Hertz, Marriott, Hilton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italy98 View Post
Have you passed your color concerns on to LL Bean?
Yes, I have. They sent me a reply thanking me for writing, and stating that they would pass my comments on to their product development team. I'm sure they get a lot of comments from a variety of people, so who knows if my e-mail will have any impact.
Digits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 09, 12:04 am   #5
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT 1MM, UA Something or other under the new system MM, Costco General Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digits View Post
Hello,

Does anyone have any recommended brands for mens jeans?

For many years I have preferred LL Bean's Double L Relaxed Fit jeans. However, while they still have the best "fit" of any jeans I have ever worn, the colors they are currently offering are uninspired at best.

I'm looking for jeans that can serve a variety of purposes - i.e. something comfortable that can be used for travel as well as other casual use - perhaps even paired with a nice shirt for a dinner out. I'm not necessarily looking for anything trendy. I would prefer a darker blue color - something in a relaxed fit. I have tried jeans from both Lands End and Eddie Bauer, and while they offer better color choices than LL Bean, their jeans just don't fit me well - they tend to be too snug in the hips and thighs (even their 'relaxed' fit jeans). And virtually all of the 'designer' jeans I have tried tend to hang much too low on the waist for my preference.

If anyone can offer any suggestions for jeans brands I should take a look at, I would greatly appreciate it.

Call me a traditional, conservative kind of guy, but there is this company that makes jeans called Levis, and they make several relaxed fit styles. Thats my main pants for travel, and well, not travel as well.
Old Nov 6, 09, 12:14 am   #6
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Mileage Run & Manufactured Spending

I stay away from denim when travelling as it's usually a.) heavier than alternatives and b.) takes longer to dry. And by travel I mean longer trips farther away than Vegas for a weekend. If it's down to two pair of chinos or one pair of jeans the options with more just make sense.

Around home I dig a recent pair of Eddie Bauer jeans that fit me so well and are broken in so are just plain comfortable.
Old Nov 6, 09, 6:19 am   #7

Programs: AA EXP, VX Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digits View Post
I was a Levi's man for my entire life, and had the same "fit" issues you had with designer jeans. Recently I bought two pair of Wranglers and I have to say they are far better than any Levi's I ever owned. Relaxed fit, well made, soft, etc.

I always associated Wranglers with the cowboy crowd; my bad. I have no problem recommending them to anyone.
Old Nov 6, 09, 6:49 am   #8

Programs: UA Lifetime Platinum, 2MM since 1981, MAR Lifetime Plat, IHG Plat Amb. Global Entry
Think about it boys and girls. The word "fit" has at least two meanings, one of which we have control over.

Perhaps they need to staff their "product development teams" with, can I say, "older" people?

Oh, and Icurhere2, what a great site. I have always wondered where the farmers get their incredibly comfy clothes. I might even get myself a pair of the bib ones with the linings when I visit my kids in Central NY this winter. Grandad will look really cool, don't you think?
Platcomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 09, 7:47 am   #9
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
They make dozens of different styles of jeans because there are dozens of body types. You really need to do trail and error to find what fits you.

My all time favorite most of my life has been the Levi's 501 button fly jeans. They come in a variety of cuts and styles, from deep dark stiff to washed and faded.

I too prefer not to take jeans when traveling. Most of the ones I have worn at various times beep through the detectors, and while it's just a wanding or whatever it's still a pain. They are heavy, they don't dry, they take up way more space then other casual pants, etc.
Old Nov 6, 09, 9:04 am   #10

Programs: Marriott Plat, EZ Pass, Back of the Plane Platinum
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordelli View Post
My all time favorite most of my life has been the Levi's 501 button fly jeans. They come in a variety of cuts and styles, from deep dark stiff to washed and faded.
Agreed. I also like Old Navy jeans.
bitburgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 09, 7:51 am   #11

Tommy Bahama has some very good light weight jeans. Modern, stylish but not flashy. I use them for travelling.
http://www.tommybahama.com/
They have their own stores but also sold in some dept store eg Macy's and specialty stores depending on where you are located.
osamede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 09, 8:07 am   #12
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcook052 View Post
I stay away from denim when travelling as it's usually a.) heavier than alternatives and b.) takes longer to dry. And by travel I mean longer trips farther away than Vegas for a weekend. If it's down to two pair of chinos or one pair of jeans the options with more just make sense.

Around home I dig a recent pair of Eddie Bauer jeans that fit me so well and are broken in so are just plain comfortable.
I usually wear a pair of jeans when I fly, because I do like to have them but as you note they take up a ton of room.

My jeans of choice these days are Nautica, because their relaxed fit fits me perfectly and they hold up really well. I've lost a lot of weight though (but I don't want to buy new clothes until I'm close to my goal weight, so I look like I'm wearing clown pants ), so when I shop for new ones my brand may have to change.
SRQ Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 09, 11:41 am   #13

Programs: *G
i favor buffalo david bitton for a combination of comfort, reasonable style, and VALUE

http://www.buffalojeans.com/
deniah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 09, 1:42 pm   #14

Programs: IHG Gold, HH Gold, WN RR & Somebody Stole my Airline (CO)
I love JC Penny’s custom fit jeans. They’re about $60 a pair but well worth it. Put in your exact measurements (down to the ˝ inch) plus other parameters like thigh diameter, choose high/low/medium crotch rise, seat (butt), weight, etc and voila! You can choose zipper or button fly, coin pocket or no coin pocket, and other things.

They take a few weeks and are shipped by UPS. They also do custom fit slacks, which are also excellent.

JC Penny's Custom Fit Clothing
RoyalFlush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 09, 9:33 pm   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcook052 View Post

I also stay away from denim when flying. Generally I look to Levi Flat Front Dockers in black or khaki. They provide the most flexibility, clean easily and pack thin.
learned is offline   Reply With Quote