Wiki Posts
Search

Expensive vs. Cheap Luggage

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2016, 8:35 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I travel "light", never check luggage, over 100,000 air miles/year, but my carry-ons are always in my possession.
I had been using 15" carry-ons, I bought at Walgreens, 2 for $10 (these had several zippered compartments, great for organizing "stuff".) But after a few years inner linings began to tear.
I decided to "splurge" and bought a 15" carry-on from Amazon, $11.00 for a single bag...poor quality (but it didn't "act up" during the 30 day return period.) I made a "patch", and it seems to be OK (now).
[Walgreens no longer sells them--I'd buy for future travel]
Old Jul 6, 2016, 7:33 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I need luggage that is very durable (polycarbonite seems best) for lots of international travel, I want four spinners (I want to roll it, not lift it, as much as possible), and then as light as possible. The ultralights by the more expensive brands have fit the bill, but I always look for sales. All I have I got at substantial discounts online. Titan is my favorite.

Now if I could just get more airports to take up their carpets.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 6:48 pm

Has anyone encountered problems with online dimensions versus "real" dimensions, when trying to order luggage online?

I am in the hunt for the largest hardside checked spinner luggage (B&R and Rimowa are not in the budget) that will still be under the 158cm/62" international requirements. I'm traveling throughout Asia and on some carriers that friends say are PITA about things being oversized.

It seems that most of the 28" pieces are too large (sometimes by 1 linear inch...jeeez).

I liked the looks of a Delsey model (Delsey Helium Shadow 3.0 29" Spinner Suiter Trolley) but have found a review that claimed that though ebags says it's at 61" linear inches, it's actually larger than that (and they got stuck with an oversize baggage fee...which given that I have 12 legs on this trip...I'd rather not pay $2k to carry my stuff around and should just spring for something pricy ).

I guess if I have to I can go with a 24" bag, that just seems SOOO small for 3 weeks (where I won't be able to do laundry/dry cleaning frequently).

Anyone have any non-Briggs & Riley/Rimowa recommendations? Can anyone find me a 28" bag that is under 62 linear inches? I have been searching, and searching, and searching (unfortunately I have not found a way to search by linear size).
Old Jul 28, 2016, 11:48 am

Here you go. and it won't break your budget.

https://www.amazon.com/Travelpro-Lug.../dp/B00CL68KHQ
Old Jul 28, 2016, 3:06 pm

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite
If your comfortable with going wheeless, I would suggest the northface base camp duffels.

The largest one is my go to checked bag. They are super water resistant, comfy on the back and strong with tons of room to haul your kit.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 11:32 am
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
There are three principal reasons I buy "quality" bags -- B&R, TravelPro and Samsonite:

1. To reduce the chance of having a critical malfunction (wheel coming off, etc.) while traveling. I REALLY don't want to have that happen while I'm in an airport! I want to reduce the odds of a "catastrophic" failure as much as I can given how much I travel.

2. Usability -- how well the bag packs and holds what I need it to hold.

3. Durability -- Given the tough conditions my bags sometimes go through (3rd world transport, etc.) I want rugged luggage that is less likely to rip or tear or leak.

I always look for deals and I've been able to get all of my bags at good discounts. The lifetime warranties on the B&R bags have also been really worthwhile.

Last edited by BLG; Jul 30, 2016 at 11:41 am
Old Jul 30, 2016, 9:15 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Two things seem to militate against cheap luggage: wheels and checking. Lousy wheels stink, and I've found B&R bags have extremely dependable wheels. Checking is a similar story, especially as you transport fragile valuables--think hardside versus softside.

But for bags with less moving parts and well within maximum size regulations, I'm gravitating to cheap: http://https://www.amazon.com/Goodho.../dp/B00ESN5NNY.

This bag fits any overhead bin, no matter how small. I used it last April for 10 days in Ireland with laundry midway through the trip and one set of shoes but also with everything, including electronics. It helps that I'm now using a convertible tablet/computer that allows me to pack everything into a very small bag and that I'm willing to wear outfits more than once during a trip.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 1:32 pm

I buy Briggs luggage almost exclusively now because I often check it. Carry-ons? I'm still using a backpack I bought at Target years ago and since it never gets checked it has lasted.

Just got a new Briggs spinner "wardrobe" and I hope those wheels are up to the punishment they will get when checked through; they look soooooo vulnerable sticking out as they do.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 1:11 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by hapuna
Has anyone encountered problems with online dimensions versus "real" dimensions, when trying to order luggage online?...
I liked the looks of a Delsey model (Delsey Helium Shadow 3.0 29" Spinner Suiter Trolley) but have found a review that claimed that though ebags says it's at 61" linear inches, it's actually larger than that (and they got stuck with an oversize baggage fee...which given that I have 12 legs on this trip...I'd rather not pay $2k to carry my stuff around and should just spring for something pricy ).
I have a Delsey Chatelet and it is precisely the stated size (in cm not inches so it is fractional inches). Some sleazy LCC airlines include wheels and handles in the "linear dimensions" which can inflate the size quite a bit, but the major airlines dont play that game (at least I've never encountered it in hundreds of trips). Delsey is the best suitcase for travel I've owned yet (like it better than even Cosmolite which is more expensive).
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:34 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by number_6
I have a Delsey Chatelet and it is precisely the stated size (in cm not inches so it is fractional inches). Some sleazy LCC airlines include wheels and handles in the "linear dimensions" which can inflate the size quite a bit, but the major airlines dont play that game (at least I've never encountered it in hundreds of trips). Delsey is the best suitcase for travel I've owned yet (like it better than even Cosmolite which is more expensive).
Umm, actually most major airlines include every part of the suitcase. (After all those parts don't magically disappear when you put the bag in an overhead locker - and some of us use bags without wheels and large handles too. Do you think they should subtract the weight of those parts too?)

Airlines explicitly mentioning wheels and handles as part of dimensions: Delta, United, AA, Cathay Pacific.
(I can imagine the litigous nature of the US forces some of those to be extra explicit?)

Wheels and handles in the sizer: BA: "You must be able to fit your bags into the baggage gauge at check in, including handles, pockets and wheels."

Airlines that I've seen using sizers (de-facto including wheels and handles, although not mentioned online): LH, LX, SAS, BA
Old Aug 23, 2016, 3:18 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by televisor
...Airlines explicitly mentioning wheels and handles as part of dimensions: Delta, United, AA, Cathay Pacific.
(I can imagine the litigous nature of the US forces some of those to be extra explicit?)...
My experience is that these airlines do not (and I have had some close calls on sizing), and their web sites back up this, see for example CX at http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_A...c-flights.html where it specifies: "Your bag’s total dimension is the sum of its width, height and length.". Do you have any references for your contention that this is not correct? Also the topic was checked baggage, so carry-on limits are not relevant -- and those do include wheels and handle sizes, unlike checked bags.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 4:08 am

One of each for me...

An old Samsonite proper hard shell (wish I'd bought TWO of them back then!!!)
I can use it as a gun case travelling overseas to comps.... it is quite legit for that.. and doesn't LOOK like a gun case!

A soft wheeled duffle... cheap...and replaced every 3 or 4 trips.... for clothes etc..

That combo works best for me...
Old Aug 23, 2016, 8:41 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by number_6
My experience is that these airlines do not (and I have had some close calls on sizing), and their web sites back up this, see for example CX at http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_A...c-flights.html where it specifies: "Your bag’s total dimension is the sum of its width, height and length.". Do you have any references for your contention that this is not correct? Also the topic was checked baggage, so carry-on limits are not relevant -- and those do include wheels and handle sizes, unlike checked bags.
No reason to think they'd suddenly apply different standards for checked luggage: after all it's all your luggage which you own, and it's taking up a given amount of space in a cargo hold which could be used for other items. (Can I subtract the wheels of my bike if I transport it by air?)

Anyways, United checked luggage:
"The maximum exterior dimension (length + width + height) of standard checked baggage is 62 inches (158 cm), including handles and wheels."
https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...edBaggage.aspx

British Airways:
"A checked bag can be up to 90cm x 75cm x 43cm (35.5in x 29.5in x 16in) – including any bits that stick out, like the handle, pockets and wheels."
http://www.britishairways.com/en-us/...age-allowances

Regardless of any rules, you're pretty much dependent on the agent in question: be nice, and be lucky, and they won't ever measure your luggage so you don't need to worry too much. Be a DYKWIA and/or be unlucky and they'll be as restrictive as they want with their measurements.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.