Beautiful Images...Just Because

Beautiful Images...Just Because

Old Sep 22, 2008, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
A few from a recent long weekend in the US Southwest

Horseshoe Bend

Upper Antelope Canyon

Lower Antelope Canyon - a non-typical image, it's not very often you use 105mm inside Antelope. Part of an ongoing experiment of mine using telephoto lenses in traditional WA settings to capture textures, patterns, color

Sunrise Point, Bryce Canyon

West entrance to The Wave, Vermilion Cliffs

Toadstool Hoodoos at sunrise

Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park

Last edited by CPRich; Sep 23, 2008 at 1:48 pm
Old Sep 22, 2008, 5:48 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, EZ Pass Plat, Starbucks Gold, Whatever flight is cheapest
Originally Posted by CPRich
A few from a recent long weekend in the US Southwest
Super shots! ^ That's my kind of long weekend.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 9:56 am
BLV

I don't see CA/Fringing, but I do see what appears to be halos from oversharpening. The colors also seem overly vivid. But I'm on my work laptop, not my calibrated home monitor - I know my laptop screen bites, and my Spyder2 doesn't work on it for some reason.
USM: threshold = 0; radius = 0.3; amount 75.

Am I missing something and we're supposed to offer our critiques on post processing in this thread?
Old Sep 23, 2008, 10:05 am

Portions of the post that previously appeared in this space have been deleted. I would provide you with a reason why, but doing so would likely be against the TOS.

Last edited by uncertaintraveler; Dec 18, 2008 at 10:35 am
Old Sep 23, 2008, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

EDIT: whatever.

Originally Posted by uncertaintraveler
Amazing shot. It is pretty close to one of Peter Lik's shots (click on "collection" and he's got a few antelope canyon photos).
Thanks. I was in his Maui studio last summer and could have spent hours there. There were at least a dozen shots of places I have been and I found it very instructive to look at the different composition, lighting, and exposure/processing choices he made. I'm always looking to learn and it was a great opportunity. Honestly, his work is on another plane, but it's interesting looking for the small details that make the real difference.

(though I must say, his image is significantly over-saturated, hue-balanced toward red, and more contrasty than reality. I consistently struggle with processing my shots for "accuracy" vs. visual appeal. I must admit, it doesn't look like it did when I was standing in the canyon, but it sure looks great.)

Last edited by CPRich; Sep 23, 2008 at 10:39 pm
Old Sep 25, 2008, 11:54 am

Programs: Marriott Silver & Starwood
Originally Posted by Jassy-50
at the farmers market in Basel:

WOW... what amazing colors... TFS...

I loved all the photos...
Old Sep 30, 2008, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Amazing stuff

CPRich,
Thanks for sharing your great work.

I will be at Bryce next month. Got any particular tips about shooting in the Canyon? e.g. time of day, position of camera, filters etc.... Is a 28mm wide enough? Thx.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There seems to many many opinions on Bryce. Sunrise Point seems obvious for sunrise. But many also suggest (the oddly named) Sunset Point. When I checked into the hotel, they told me I needed to be at Inspiration Point for sunrise. And the sign at Bryce Point says "most photographers agree Bryce Point is the place to be for sunrise".

In any case, the Canon faces due east, so sunrise is certainly the time to be there. The points mentioned above jut out into the canyon and look back into the amphitheaters.

Personally, I preferred Sunrise Point. The spires have streaks of white that provides some contrast and can't be found elsewhere, and are more jagged than the other locations.

Don't shoot toward where the sun is rising, as 95% of the people will be. Get out to the edge of the overlook, or a little ways down the trail, and shoot back at the spires.

After an hour or so of shooting sunrise, hike down the connected Queens Garden and Navajo Loop Trails and shoot upwards as the light gets into the canyon. Sunset's a dud as it sets opposite the interesting bits, and they all fall into complete shadow before any decent light appears.

I used a graduated ND filter to avoid overexposing the sky in many places. What type of camera is the lens mounted to? I looked at the EXIF from my shots and the sunrise shots are all 24mm or wider. On a 1.6 crop factor camera, that's 38mm FF equivalent. Many are 35-40, so 28 even on a 1.5 or 1.6 body should be OK for sunrise. Once I got down into the trails, I was using down to 12mm.

You can look at the shots in my gallery - hover over the image and select the "Photo Info" from the flyout panel and you can see the focal length (and other data) for each shot. Most were with my 24-105, but went down to the 12-24 and even some close-ups with 100-400.

http://richs.smugmug.com/gallery/596...72465303_PrsXY
Old Oct 1, 2008, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
There seems to many many opinions on Bryce. Sunrise Point seems obvious for sunrise. But many also suggest (the oddly named) Sunset Point. When I checked into the hotel, they told me I needed to be at Inspiration Point for sunrise. And the sign at Bryce Point says "most photographers agree Bryce Point is the place to be for sunrise".

In any case, the Canon faces due east, so sunrise is certainly the time to be there. The points mentioned above jut out into the canyon and look back into the amphitheaters.

Personally, I preferred Sunrise Point. The spires have streaks of white that provides some contrast and can't be found elsewhere, and are more jagged than the other locations.

Don't shoot toward where the sun is rising, as 95% of the people will be. Get out to the edge of the overlook, or a little ways down the trail, and shoot back at the spires.

After an hour or so of shooting sunrise, hike down the connected Queens Garden and Navajo Loop Trails and shoot upwards as the light gets into the canyon. Sunset's a dud as it sets opposite the interesting bits, and they all fall into complete shadow before any decent light appears.

I used a graduated ND filter to avoid overexposing the sky in many places. What type of camera is the lens mounted to? I looked at the EXIF from my shots and the sunrise shots are all 24mm or wider. On a 1.6 crop factor camera, that's 38mm FF equivalent. Many are 35-40, so 28 even on a 1.5 or 1.6 body should be OK for sunrise. Once I got down into the trails, I was using down to 12mm.

You can look at the shots in my gallery - hover over the image and select the "Photo Info" from the flyout panel and you can see the focal length (and other data) for each shot. Most were with my 24-105, but went down to the 12-24 and even some close-ups with 100-400.

http://richs.smugmug.com/gallery/596...72465303_PrsXY
Wow, I enjoyed and inspired by your portfolio of the Canyon shots. Thank you for sharing. I recommend all photogs (or want-to-be) check out his work Awesome ^
I am in the market for a new DSLR. Hope to get it before my trip to the Canyons. Strongly leaning toward the Nikon D90 body. For my own use, I want to carry only 1 lens (I don't want to carry too much weight). Either a Tamron (AF18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC (Vibration Compensation) LD Aspherical (IF) Macro), or Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S VR DX. Still evaluating the lens.
Did you use tripot for all those shots?
Thanks again for sharing.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 5:28 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Guys, just a suggestion, but perhaps we could use other threads for lengthy discussions and keep this one for images as originally intended?
Old Oct 2, 2008, 6:01 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, HH Diamond, Fairmont RIP, Hertz Plat, BA Gold
Here's a photo I snapped while on a safari at the Leopard Hills Private Game Reserve in Sabi Sands area of South Africa. (notice the blood on the right side of the cheetah's face)

Here's a photo of a YellowBilled Hornbill flicking termites into its mouth. I caught the termite in mid-flick.

Here's a photo of a lion right after feasting on a fresh kill

I'm still uploading photos from my trip. The can be found here: www.worldflyer.net/africa
Old Oct 25, 2008, 9:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
A few of mine

Last edited by GadgetFreak; Oct 25, 2008 at 9:51 pm
Old Oct 27, 2008, 2:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold

From the Lustschloß Hellbrunn garden
Salzburg DO

Best viewed in Large
Flickr set
Old Oct 27, 2008, 3:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The leaves are finally changing in NYC. Taken in Central Park this past weekend.

Old Oct 28, 2008, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
I can't get enough of the white-sand beaches at Fort Walton Beach. I don't think I've ever seen sand as white anywhere else.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.