FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Photography (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-photography-629/)
-   -   Lost Camera (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-photography/808665-lost-camera.html)

indegrl Apr 3, 2008 11:54 am

Lost Camera

I am really really sad :(:(:(:(:(

I left my camera on a flight to JFK and I have been trying to figure out the best way to get my camera really more importantly the SD card back with the pictures. I know all pictures are important - but these have a very special meaning to me and I have to get them back. Anyone have an idea on the best way to try and recover it...I left it on the plane - on my seat.

Mary2e Apr 3, 2008 12:01 pm

You should contact the airline you were flying.

ScottC Apr 3, 2008 12:25 pm

This is the number for JFK lost and found:

JFK airport Lost & Found Services:
(718) 244-4225
(718) 244-4226

If you let me know the airline you were on I'll lookup their lost and found number for you.

Your only hope is that the camera was found by someone honest who turned it in. Do you have the box of the camera? Having the box means you'll also have the exact model and serial number of it, which will make retrieving it much easier.

GadgetFreak Apr 3, 2008 2:16 pm

I think it is also important to act pretty quickly. I have not left many things on planes or at airports. Sometimes they do come back though so get the numbers and get on the phone with the airline as soon as possible.

zenia Apr 4, 2008 1:05 am

Try to contact the airline immediately. If they didn’t find anything in your seat, try to ask the next passenger. Don’t forget the persons, who were sitting beside you, ask for their records and try to contact them all!

uva185 Apr 4, 2008 2:50 am

There was a poster who left his expensive digital camera on a US Airways flight. He posted in the US Airways forum and believe it or not an employee saw the post and returned the camera to him.

Its a long shot but go ahead and try it ^

Thats really too bad about your camera, I know how special some pictures can be. Did you leave the camera on the seat or in the seatback pocket.

chuckmiser Apr 13, 2008 4:02 am

I try to allways download to my computer as soon as possible as I am forever losing stuff. I also move stuff to CD as quick as possible incase I have a hard drive meltdown. diversefy everything. I lost a ton of stuff in Malaysia when I drowned my camera in saltwater and am still kicking myself in the butt becuase I could have taken my own advise and downloaded the night before, would have been a bad day instead of a bad week! I was diving at Sipadan and missed a ton of pictures like the one below!
http://www.cheapcharlieshotels.com/i...nama%20Bay.jpg
Your best bet is to contact the airline and if you get it back make sure to thank the person that returns it in writing to their bosses!

notsosmart Apr 13, 2008 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by indegrl (Post 9513646)
I am really really sad :(:(:(:(:(

I left my camera on a flight to JFK and I have been trying to figure out the best way to get my camera really more importantly the SD card back with the pictures. I know all pictures are important - but these have a very special meaning to me and I have to get them back. Anyone have an idea on the best way to try and recover it...I left it on the plane - on my seat.

Sux to be you indegrl, I know how it feels to lose (or have stolen) a favorite camera.

Excuse to buy a new one!!! :D

(Welcome to FT :-:)

DontCallMeShirley Apr 14, 2008 9:28 pm

You might want to find out where the plane went after JFK. Many times cameras aren't spotted until the end of the day, especially if they slip down to the bottom of the SB pocket. I find all sorts of gizmos and gadgets and I have turned in every last one of them. So there is definately hope.

Good Luck.

jason8612 Apr 15, 2008 2:13 am

Contact the airline ASAP and the service center. Always try if possible to back up the photos somehow. I started to do that recently after I lost most of my first HDR shots of Krakow when one of my drives failed (was able to restore some of them). I love Picasa (comes also with a gmail account and its free like Flickr). I usually back up there my already edited JPG, on a DVD the original RAW, and usually leave the photos on my hard drive of the RAW and the edited ones.

SJUAMMF Jun 16, 2008 9:28 pm

Well it happened to me. I left my Nikon P5000 in seat 2D on UA1220 to RDU. I sent UA Customer Relations people a message but whether they come up with it is anyone's guess.

On this DEN-RDU flight, it was incredible to see the amount of flooding west of the Mississippi. I had the pictures marked with my Garmin eTrex Venture CX. Now I lost those pictures.

Mikey likes it Jun 17, 2008 10:06 am

Sorry to hear of these losses. Hate to say it but my batting average in getting anything of value returned from an airline is .000.

vandykes44 Jun 20, 2008 6:41 pm

Several years ago I left my camera on an American Airlines flight after a family trip to Disney. After several frantic phone calls, the airlines did locate my camera and delivered it to my home the next day at no cost. I wrote them a very nice thank-you note in return.

SJUAMMF Jun 20, 2008 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by vandykes44 (Post 9914130)
Several years ago I left my camera on an American Airlines flight after a family trip to Disney. After several frantic phone calls, the airlines did locate my camera and delivered it to my home the next day at no cost. I wrote them a very nice thank-you note in return.

Yes, I left my noise reduction headset on UA in Denver and was returned. So I am at 50% right now. UA sent a letter and gave me 2500 points in this latest incident.

atxtraveler Jun 21, 2008 7:43 am

I agree on the topic of Picasa... what a wonderful quick backup tool. The post to web album feature is pure awesomeness, you would be surprised how many pictures that has saved me from a bad SD card/laptop crash, backup HDD crash.

I likely have 3000 pictures saved on Picasa.