Reload this Page >

Online camera stores ...

Online camera stores ...

Old Oct 27, 2008, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 3mm Plat
Originally Posted by ghia74
Thanks, but this would not be a gray market camera. It would be a brand new USA model, just not bought from an authorized Nikon dealer. And B&H is not the Ebay retailer I was considering. I would probably go with them if I went the authorized dealer route.
They are actually authorized dealers of many items that ALSO sell for less as gray market goods.

In both cases the goods are brand new.

The difference is that as an authorized dealer, they are seller merchandise imported by the authorized distributor.

As a gray market dealer, they are selling brand new goods that they have bought overseas and imported themselves. European or Asian models of the same equipment. At least they used to do this. And this is how it was explained to me by B&H when last I bought from them.

Last edited by Teacher49; Oct 27, 2008 at 8:11 pm
Old Oct 27, 2008, 8:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Am I correct that even if I buy a new, non grey market camera, with the USA warranty, from an on-line retailer that is not anauthorized Nikon dealer, Nikon will not honor the warranty?

I am looking to get the D90. I found a retailer on Ebay who gets great ratings on both there and resellerratings.com. I am considering them over one of the authorized dealers because I have a 10% off coupon from Ebay I can apply to it, saving $100. If Nikon will not honor the warranty I do not think it is worth it for the savings.
Everything I've read online says your warranty will be useless/non-existent. For a new camera I wouldn't risk it, certainly not for $100 in savings.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 11:22 pm

Be REALLY CAREFUL with online camera stores! I had a friend who had his identity stolen after purchasing $2K in camera equipment. The online camera shop knew he was purchasing the equipment for a trip to Argentina.

I strongly SUGGEST spending the X-tra $$ and using a trusted site.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 10:30 am

Programs: AA/UA/UR/MRP/IHG Plat
One Stop Camera?

Anyone have any experience with One Stop Camera & Electronics? They seem to have some decent prices on photo equipment...and, more importantly, they claim to sell USA equipment and be authorized reseller for everything they sell. Any eqperiences...or reactions to their claims? thank you in advance.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have used BuyDig.com for multiple point and click cameras as well as my flat-screen TV.

I would have no qualms making a purchase there for my SLR. There a division of Beach Trading inc. an authorized Canon dealer.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 9:30 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Internet/Mail Order Source for Nikon D80 kit

Moving to digital, after several years of basic point and shoots, and have decided that the Nikon D80 presents a good place to start after experience with film SLRs. I've seen a discounted "kit" which included two lenses, the basic, 18-70mm IIRC, and a 70-200mm which seem to fill our needs for mostly daylight travel photos.

Priced variously on the 'Net, not available locally, I'd like some advice (after reading a few horror stories/bad experiences) from FTers as to the choice of equipment and the dependability of retailers. I am "price conscious" in the range of an $800+ figure.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 3:06 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by TMOliver
Moving to digital, after several years of basic point and shoots, and have decided that the Nikon D80 presents a good place to start after experience with film SLRs. I've seen a discounted "kit" which included two lenses, the basic, 18-70mm IIRC, and a 70-200mm which seem to fill our needs for mostly daylight travel photos.

Priced variously on the 'Net, not available locally, I'd like some advice (after reading a few horror stories/bad experiences) from FTers as to the choice of equipment and the dependability of retailers. I am "price conscious" in the range of an $800+ figure.
I initially thought of getting the D80 to. After some research though I learned the incremental increase to go to te D90 was well worth it. The other choice would have been to go to the D40 which seemed to offer the best bang for the buck.

After the feedback here I ended up going with Cameta Camera. They are online through Ebay and are an authorized dealer so I did not get a grey market camera and it has the full manufactures warranty. I love the shots I have taken of my kids and look forward to my first trip with it to Egypt.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold

After the feedback here I ended up going with Cameta Camera. They are online through Ebay and are an authorized dealer so I did not get a grey market camera and it has the full manufactures warranty. .....
I purchased a Canon EOS 450D with 2 lenses from Amazon. One of the lenses was actually sold by Cameta. I was not aware of it at time of purchase. I received the lens in 10 days compared to 2 days from Amazon. All via free shipping.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 8:13 pm

After the feedback here I ended up going with Cameta Camera. They are online through Ebay and are an authorized dealer so I did not get a grey market camera and it has the full manufactures warranty. I love the shots I have taken of my kids and look forward to my first trip with it to Egypt.
I really like Cameta Camera and have bought from them several times including a couple of DSLR bodies. Good service ^^

Even though it was through EBAY I knew they have a real 'brick and mortar' store out on Long Island.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 1:56 pm

Programs: Long Live NWA Silver Elite,Delta Silver Medallion
Nikon Grey Market

FWIW, NIkon USA will NOT service grey market products in or out of warranty. This doesn't mean you won't ever get any service; it does mean you may have to go through independent servicers ( I have one I use who is great) and there is NO warranty.

I wouldn't tell anyone not to consider grey market, I WILL tell you to consider it VERY VERY carefully.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA Advantage Starwood
Another good cheap source...

I have to agree that if you are looking for safe and secure service, B&H Photo, Adorama and Roberts have great reputations. I have purchased from all of them in the past. Sometimes my photography wants get ahead of my finances and I have to really look for bargains. You can find some at the Nikonians Forum website. Fellow photographers sell their used equipment. I'll agree with the other poster that Cameta Camera on Ebay often has some very good prices. I have bought 2 lenses from them with good results.

Last edited by FertilityDoc; Apr 18, 2009 at 9:16 pm
Old Apr 7, 2009, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
I have used B&H with great success. In fact I just bought several things from them.

But I just got a 50D from Crutchfields http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Crutchfield Extremely happy with the whole process. I bought the BG Grip from B&H because Crutchfields was on BO and they suggested that I call B&H. I love service that goes that far.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 9:55 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
I actually like J and R in NYC. www.jr.com. Purchased a Panasonic Pocket Digital this past October, great pricing, low delivery charge and no tax. Customer service and emails were great
Old Apr 9, 2009, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I have bought from B and H and J and R. Most of my camera gear (canon MarkII 1ds and L lenses). I check KEH for used stuff. The prices are high, but they have a good reputation.

I don't buy gray market because of warranty issues.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA [Gold]
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
I actually like J and R in NYC. www.jr.com. Purchased a Panasonic Pocket Digital this past October, great pricing, low delivery charge and no tax. Customer service and emails were great
+1

I have used J&R several times and each time I've been thankful for their prices and service. I would recommend them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.