Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

Online camera stores ...

Online camera stores ...

Old Apr 2, 2008, 9:20 pm

Programs: Long Live NWA Silver Elite,Delta Silver Medallion
One other dealer I can recommend..

B and H and Adorama are well known to amateurs, let me recommend Roberts in Indianapolis. These people do a ton of business with pros, but lots of business with amateurs as well. VERY honest people that know their stuff.

It's amazing to me you'll spend lots of money for a digital camera and get NO SERVICE. When I've need something for a shoot, sometimes very quickly (like within 24 hours) it was where I needed it to be.

Try Roberts. You'll find that whatever price difference may or may not be there is more than made up by the real knowledge and expertise those folks possess.

Good luck.

Michael

Originally Posted by Teacher49
I am about to replace my several years old Canon Digi Rebel with a Nikon D40 simply because I am tired of the wait for the Canon to power up after going to sleep.

In looking around I see that not many places have the body only, in fact that some say that the D40 is offered only in a "kit" with the 18 - 55 lens.

So this brings up the question of reliability of the places that are offering the body only at prices as low as $320.00 as compared to $500.00 at places like B&H.

Broadway Camera is one of those places, for example. Any experiences with that out fit? Any general observation on how to tell the honest from the less than?

I have bought from B&H for years, but ...
Old Apr 2, 2008, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thebigfish
B and H and Adorama are well known to amateurs...

Come on now,

B&H is the largest photo supply source for professional photographers in the U.S. - bar none. The number of NYC pros alone [fashion, photo-journalism, corporate, etc.] that use B&H on a monthly basis is likely more pro business than Roberts, or Calumet, etc. see in an entire year.

Roberts may be a fine place to buy gear but it is silly to suggest that B&H is somehow geared towards "amateurs".

Last edited by anrkitec; Jun 22, 2013 at 10:42 pm
Old Apr 2, 2008, 11:51 pm

Programs: Long Live NWA Silver Elite,Delta Silver Medallion
You have your opinion

I'm glad you support your local dealers and I'm sure they appreciate it. I've done business with BandH occassionally.

The fact that I dare suggest someone might consider someone other than B&H, and imply that they are some local ma and pa (which isn't a bad thing either) shows where you and I differ. Roberts supplies and supports thousands of professional photojournalists nationally and internationally with pricing that equals and many times beats B&H. And they do it with personal service. The fact B&H is so big may be the reason they don't have quite the same level of personal service.

I've used B&H but you've evidently never used Roberts, so, which one of us is up for a new experience?

On the other hand, maybe I shouldn't encourage you to try something new. Maybe where you're at is where you need to be.

P.S. I'm not sure that your assumption that B&H is the largest supply source for professionals is correct. Calumet has stores in the US as well as Europe ..collectively they may be bigger..speculation on my part, but no more than your assumption that B&H is the biggest.

Last edited by thebigfish; Apr 3, 2008 at 12:00 am Reason: add comment
Old Apr 3, 2008, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 3mm Plat
Well, I went to the local Calumet today to handle the D40. They are offering the D40 at the same price as B&H - $20.00 more that Amazon (thanks, Scott).

The fellow there was certainly knowledgeable. I decided that I will buy there even though the price will be 8% more, net, because of the California sales tax. If I were to do otherwise, I'd simply feel like a creep after taking advantage of handling their stock and taking up their time.

The salesman made a "fair go" attempt to up sell me to the D60 or the D40X, and dangled the D80 before my eyes for a moment, but in no obnoxious way. When I said they are more than I need, he moved on quickly.

I was running out of time I had more questions about comparisons to the newer Canon Rebel and said I would think about it and come back. In a good move both as a salesman and as someone providing service, the fellow, said, "take this with you, download the software, charge the battery use it and if you don't want it after two weeks return it."

I resisted because I did want to think free of any obligations, but will buy from that fellow in the next few days. Or take him up on his offer of a trial!!

I will buy my accessories from B&H because I know what I want. I am thinking the f1.8 50mm lens, a media reader and a just a couple of filters: the UV and circular polarizing. Any other suggestions?

Thanks to all for the tips.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thebigfish
I'm glad you support your local dealers and I'm sure they appreciate it. I've done business with BandH occassionally.

The fact that I dare suggest someone might consider someone other than B&H, and imply that they are some local ma and pa (which isn't a bad thing either) shows where you and I differ. Roberts supplies and supports thousands of professional photojournalists nationally and internationally with pricing that equals and many times beats B&H. And they do it with personal service. The fact B&H is so big may be the reason they don't have quite the same level of personal service.

I've used B&H but you've evidently never used Roberts, so, which one of us is up for a new experience?

On the other hand, maybe I shouldn't encourage you to try something new. Maybe where you're at is where you need to be.

P.S. I'm not sure that your assumption that B&H is the largest supply source for professionals is correct. Calumet has stores in the US as well as Europe ..collectively they may be bigger..speculation on my part, but no more than your assumption that B&H is the biggest.
Well, I have purchased from Robert's before; several years ago they seemed to have a lens [can't remember which one] in stock before everyone else did and at a fair price - as I said my issue isn't with Roberts nor do I think that B&H is perfect.

Please, by all means stick with Roberts. What I said was it is silly to suggest as you did that B&H is for "amateurs"

I use B&H because [1] they carry just about every Nikon [and other brand] piece of equipment and accessory and they have it in stock. I doubt that Roberts or anyone else could match the number and variety of Nikon filters, eye pieces, lens hoods, battery holders, flash adapters, and cords, etc. that B&H always has in stock - most local/regional pro shops have in recent years stopped carrying much of that stuff and [2] B&H will also always ship my order same-day if placed before 1 PM, and they let me use my own FedEx account.

As for size, B&H does in excess of $700 million annually which I would wager is several times the combined annual sales of Roberts and Calumet.

Ritz/Wolf is however by far the biggest in the U.S. with 1200 stores and $1 billion+ in annual sales but they also have the largest overhead and it can safely be said that pro sales make up just a tiny percentage of their business - they simply don't stock what most pros want/need.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The fellow there was certainly knowledgeable. I decided that I will buy there even though the price will be 8% more, net, because of the California sales tax. If I were to do otherwise, I'd simply feel like a creep after taking advantage of handling their stock and taking up their time.
Which is a nice way of doing business on your part and quite rare these days - Cheers.

I will buy my accessories from B&H because I know what I want. I am thinking the f1.8 50mm lens, a media reader and a just a couple of filters: the UV and circular polarizing. Any other suggestions?
Regardless of where you buy consider: a micro-fiber cloth, a lens pen, a rocket blower [for sensor cleaning], a spare Nikon battery, CaptureNX for RAW processing, a spare CF/SD card, and for nearly the same money as the 50 f/1.8 you might want to consider the 55-200 VR companion lens to the 18-55 kit lens, you may find that combination more useful.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by Lurker1999
If you're looking to comparison shop I've used Abe's of Maine. They have a good online presence and the price is slightly less for a Nikon D40 than you quoted for B&H.
Here's another vote for Abe's of Maine. I'm no photo or video expert, but I've made several purchases of point-and-shoot and video equipment from them and had excellent results, both in terms of price and customer service.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Whole post is OT

As the OP, I will place this one OT post just incase anyone is interested.

I went back to Calumet and ended up with the Canon Rebel XTi. Reasons:

- most importantly, the only Nikkor 50mm lens available will not work with autofocus with any Nikon below the D80 in their product line.

- the cost of Cannon plus a Cannon 50mm f 1.4 lens that will work with the new XTi was less than the D80 plus ... (Yes, the D80 is way more camera, but more, too than I want to spend.)

- My reasoning: I want the fast 50mm so that I can shoot my students in the class room with available light. The zooms are all closed down to 5.6 at a similar focal length. I have not tried it yet, but I am hoping the difference will be significant enough to allow me to get the shots that I have been having to pass up. I do this for pleasure as well as for my web site - i.e. promo.

- The camera I am replacing is the old Canon EOS Rebel - old enough to have now XS or XT modifyers. The start up was very slow and so on. I do have a couple of media cards, and a few filters, and a Speedlight 420 EX flash that will transfer to the new camera, I think. So some savings there, though I hardly ever use the flash.

Thanks again for all the tips and help.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 8:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by anrkitec
Interesting.

I didn't know that Amazon still sold electronics on their own, just 3rd party sellers.

Doubly interesting that an on-line only store is Nikon authorized as Nikon themselves make such a big stink about not buying from Internet-only companies.

I guess a buck is a buck and Amazon must move a lot of prodcut.
I dont know about Nikon but I bought Canon USA stuff from Amazon and got the Canon USA rebates for it, and Canon had the numbers in their computers when I called about the rebates.

I have bought online from B&H, Adorama and Amazon. No trouble with any. Ive been buying stuff from B&H for 15 years and Adorama for longer. When there has been an issue they have fixed it and no funny business from any of them ever. I wouldnt buy from anyone other than those three basically. If it is from B&H or Adorama they plainly sell stuff with or without US warranty. Pick which you want.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just to day that I bought the additional lens I was looking for ( Canon f 1.4 50mm) from Roberts. They were the only ones who had it in stock between Calumet, B&H, J&R. They were great to deal with.

So thanks for the tip and the addition of another arrow in the resource quiver, thebigfish.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
I've been quite satisfied with B&H, and I've also been extremely satisfied with Roberts out of Indianapolis. (Roberts is my first choice when shopping, B&H and the others are the backups if they don't have what I want).
Old Apr 17, 2008, 9:00 pm

Programs: nobody
+1 on B&H (is like a candy store for me everytime I stop by their store ), Amazon (direct only), Samy's (soCal).
+1 also on OneCall.com, BeachCamera both as long as you don't have to deal with returns.

for local here in Chicago, I deal with Calumet, Helix and Central (in downtown)
Old May 4, 2008, 9:30 am

Programs: WN, Marriott, Choice
thecameraprofessionals.com

has anyone had any experience, pro or con, with these folks? I'm considering a $1500 purchase, but unfamiliar with them. The reviews I've been able to find are somewhat akin to ebay's feedback... many glowing praises, a few horror stories.
Old May 4, 2008, 9:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Jeffie
has anyone had any experience, pro or con, with these folks? I'm considering a $1500 purchase, but unfamiliar with them. The reviews I've been able to find are somewhat akin to ebay's feedback... many glowing praises, a few horror stories.
I wouldn't touch them. Based on the fact that there is no contact information available other than a toll-free number and an email address. Their domain name registration is private and the "contact us" page on their website just has the phone number. Between all that and their hours of operation I'm guessing that they are another face of one of the many Brooklyn shops that people have so much trouble with. How much money are you saving shopping there versus the other reputable shops? That should give you an indication of just how likely they are to be legit (too much savings = less likely).
Old May 4, 2008, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Another reason to avoid them...

Another reason to avoid TheCameraProfessionals.com:

http://www.resellerratings.com/store...aProfessionals

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.