Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

Online camera stores ...

Online camera stores ...

Old Feb 1, 2017, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by parthivshinde1
Try amazon for buy online camera and amazon give you good service.
In the US you have to be careful buying camera equipment on Amazon if you want to receive an official US warranty from the manufacturer. Aside from Amazon there are may third party sellers that can appear on an item's page and some of them are shipping gray market items that do not come with US warranties.

A good example of what can happen is when you are searching for a camera body and the web page shows boxes to click on combining the camera body with a lens bundle. When you select one of those lens bundles the seller can change from Amazon to someone else.

The moral of the story is to always make sure that the seller is Amazon and not someone else before you purchase the item!!!
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

B&H to Pay $3.22M to Settle Lawsuit Filed by the Dept. of Labor

The U.S. Department of Labor has announced that the giant NYC-based photography retailer B&H has agreed to pay $3.22 million to resolve a lawsuit filed by the agency back in February 2016. B&H had faced allegations of discrimination, bias, and harassment.

The settlement, first reported by The Phoblographer, is a "consent decree" between the U.S. Department of Labors Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs and B&H Foto & Electronics Corp. that resolves the allegations.

"The decree settles allegations that B&H Foto discriminated against female as well as black and Asian job seekers by hiring only Hispanic men for entry-level positions," the Labor Department writes. "In addition, there were allegations that Hispanic shipping workers were paid significantly less than comparable workers and denied promotion to higher level positions." PetaPixel
Old Aug 17, 2017, 7:56 am

B&H Agrees to Settle Outstanding Government Claims: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora...ernment-claims

B&H settled this matter without admitting guilt and in fact continues to deny any guilt. Why did we settle? To put this matter to rest so we could resume normal business operations. As the matter dragged out, lawyers were the only ones really benefiting.

The OFCCP statement included this, from their Regional Solicitor of Labor Jeffrey S. Rogoff.:
“We are pleased that B&H Foto entered into this agreement, and has committed to ensuring that their workers will receive equitable wages and opportunities, and enjoy a workplace that promotes equal employment opportunity.”

--
Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video
PTravel likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Does anybody here understand how this settlement is supposed to help the alleged victims, individually or as a group?

B&H did not admit wrongdoing, so they wont change anything. I am not sure if the government is committed to using the $3.22M it got to help those victims. So in the end the money will just disappear in the vast government coffers?

OTOH, good call on B&H's part. If I was targeted by a powerful gang alleging some wrongdoing on my part, I'd most likely "settle" too.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aktchi
Does anybody here understand how this settlement is supposed to help the alleged victims, individually or as a group?

B&H did not admit wrongdoing, so they wont change anything. I am not sure if the government is committed to using the $3.22M it got to help those victims. So in the end the money will just disappear in the vast government coffers?

OTOH, good call on B&H's part. If I was targeted by a powerful gang alleging some wrongdoing on my part, I'd most likely "settle" too.
You didn't read Henry's link, which includes the following:

"B&H is pleased that an overwhelming portion of the settlement payout will end up with our current and former employees. Our success is a result of the hard work and dedication of our employees."
Old Aug 17, 2017, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From the PetaPixel link:

"B&H serves as a federal contractor and the U.S. Government responded to allegations to ensure that taxpayer money is going to a business that treats its employees fairly.

In addition to paying $3,220,000 in back wages and monetary relief to over 1,300 workers involved in the settlement, B&H will also be hiring a workplace consultant to correct employment practices at its current Brooklyn warehouse and future New Jersey warehouse. Managers will also be receiving annual training on harassment prevention and equal opportunity principles."
I believe I have posted before that I bought my first camera from B&H in the early 80's when I was 12 or 13. This was at a time when B&H was pretty much the only honest mail order house in NYC as Adorama [under previous ownership/management] and most of the rest were all bait-and-switch clip joints.

The late, great Herbert Keppler then instituted Modern Photography's honesty and integrity seal of approval program and stopped selling ad space to those companies that didn't change their practices and comply.

One could buy a well equipped Honda Accord with what I have spent with B&H in the 30+ years since that first camera.

I am, what is the right word, saddened, disappointed by this and the other recent lawsuit[s]. But I am hopeful that going forward things will change for the better. With nearly all the great local camera stores gone [even Keeble and Shuchat went out of business for crissakes], God help all photographers when Best Buy or Walmart or Amazon Marketplace are the only places left to buy photo equipment and supplies.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by PTravel
You didn't read Henry's link, which includes the following: "B&H is pleased that an overwhelming portion of the settlement payout will end up with our current and former employees. Our success is a result of the hard work and dedication of our employees."
Great, an unexpected bonus for some or all employees, good for them.

The "B&H is pleased" part sounds silly. How can you be pleased that someone forced you to give out money that you did not think you owed?

However, this outcome is better than continuing to waste money on lawyers.
​​​​​​​
Old Aug 18, 2017, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by anrkitec
I believe I have posted before that I bought my first camera from B&H in the early 80's when I was 12 or 13. This was at a time when B&H was pretty much the only honest mail order house in NYC as Adorama [under previous ownership/management] and most of the rest were all bait-and-switch clip joints.

The late, great Herbert Keppler then instituted Modern Photography's honesty and integrity seal of approval program and stopped selling ad space to those companies that didn't change their practices and comply.
Most interesting. I'd of course have expected a few tourist traps in and around Times Square, but didn't realize that the situation across the entire NYC area was so bleak.

Last edited by aktchi; Aug 18, 2017 at 12:28 pm
Old Aug 18, 2017, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Most interesting. I'd of course have expected a few tourist traps in and around Times Square, but didn't realize that the situation across the entire NYC area was so bleak.
IMO there are only 2 real players in NYC, B&H and Adorama. @:-)
Old Dec 6, 2017, 3:49 am

Programs: BA Exec Club - Bronze. Emirates Skyward - Blue. Virgin Flying Club - Red.
I've just bought new super cheap lenses from e-global based in Hong Kong. There are some shocking review online, but it saved me hundreds of dollars so thought it was worth the risk. I will let you know how they turn out.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 11:10 pm

Canon 530 DS

I just bought one last month and it is very good to recommend
Old Jan 17, 2018, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by evyamcs
I've just bought new super cheap lenses from e-global based in Hong Kong. There are some shocking review online, but it saved me hundreds of dollars so thought it was worth the risk. I will let you know how they turn out.
update? and link? there are a number of e-global camera sites in the interwebs.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 4:47 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Been dealing with B&H since the old film days, then they made them charge sales tax,

Made my Number 2 Roberts in Indy,

Roberts has always been great, they collected sales tax..

B&H has always been great, meet them at CES many years ago, real nice people, just like Roberts..

Last edited by satman40; Mar 8, 2019 at 7:07 pm
Old Nov 14, 2019, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The legal drama seems to never end for B&H.

New York Attorney General Accuses B&H Photo of Avoiding Over $7 Million in Taxes on ‘Instant Rebates’

"The New York Attorney General has filed a major lawsuit against photo and video gear retailer B&H Photo alleging that the retail giant has dodged millions in sales taxes over the past 13 years. B&H calls the lawsuit “outrageous” and says these claims are “flat wrong.”

As initially reported by The Verge, the lawsuit was filed in the Supreme Court of New York for the County of New York earlier this morning, and the allegations are quite serious. According to the NY Attorney General, a whistleblower revealed to the state that B&H knowingly avoided paying over $7 million in sales taxes since 2006 on products that it offered to customers via “instant rebates.”

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.