Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

Camera Lens in Japan

Camera Lens in Japan

Old Dec 18, 2007, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Hertz Presidents Circle
Camera Lens in Japan

I'm going to Japan later this week. Frommers had a blurb about the camera lenses that are sold in an "electronics" district of sorts.

There are quite a few Nikon lenses that I've had my eye on for a while. For people who have actually purchased a lens/camera in Japan or are aware of what Frommers is referring to, I have a couple of questions:

1. Are the lens cheaper than in the US?
2. Is there a better variety of lenses in Japan?
3. If purchased in Japan, will warranty be honored here?
4. Any opinions about purchasing lenses in Japan? I will be buying authentic Nikon lenses...

Thanks in advance,
PIT_Flyer
Old Dec 18, 2007, 8:29 am

I don't know about specifically buying lenses in Japan, but I know that Nikon equipment sold outside of the US has an international warranty, rather than a US warranty. This means that for any service you'd need to send it in to Nikon somewhere OUTSIDE the USA (usually Canada). The US service centers will not accept it for warranty work.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 9:37 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by PIT_Flyer
...1. Are the lens cheaper than in the US?
2. Is there a better variety of lenses in Japan?
3. If purchased in Japan, will warranty be honored here?
4. Any opinions about purchasing lenses in Japan? I will be buying authentic Nikon lenses...
This question has been dealt with several times in the Travel Photography Forum. Hopefully, it will be moved there or to the Japan Forum so the real experts will see it.

I am not a "Nikon guy," but in general:

1. No.
2. Yes.
3. Generally no.
4. The consensus seems to be that you can do just as well here, with less hassle and complete warranty service from Nikon USA.

As a side note, the "electronics district" the guidebook refers to is most likely Akihabara but many of the real camera stores are located elsewhere in Tokyo. If you want to check out the discussions in the Japan Forum, just do a search on "Tokyo" and "camera."

JR
Old Dec 18, 2007, 11:43 am

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
When we visited a couple of years back (with the stronger $) the prices were not really cheaper than in the US - and though mrs alect (a Nikon addict) was tempted, nothing was even close to a bargain, though she did buy an SB600 flash just because she needed one.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 11:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
It is very tough to beat US prices on camera equipment. When I looked in Akihibara I found a good selection, but no price that I couldnt beat from reputable mail order places in the US. In some cases the prices were a lot higher than in the US.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 11:56 am

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
This question has been dealt with several times in the Travel Photography Forum. Hopefully, it will be moved there or to the Japan Forum so the real experts will see it.

I am not a "Nikon guy," but in general:

1. No.
2. Yes.
3. Generally no.
4. The consensus seems to be that you can do just as well here, with less hassle and complete warranty service from Nikon USA.

As a side note, the "electronics district" the guidebook refers to is most likely Akihabara but many of the real camera stores are located elsewhere in Tokyo. If you want to check out the discussions in the Japan Forum, just do a search on "Tokyo" and "camera."

JR
Your wish is my command.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Don't know what exactly Frommer's was referring to. But it is no big secret that practically all cities in Japan have plenty of huge camera stores, such as Yodobashi Camera. Also read this link:
http://photo.net/photo/japan-buying

To give my 2c to your Qs:

1. Are the lens cheaper than in the US? - No. US has become the shopper's paradise for almost everything, including lenses!

2. Is there a better variety of lenses in Japan? - Yes, in terms of many second tier brands. But as far as Nikon's own, you can get all those that they posted on their US web site. For antique Nikon lenses, Japan might be a better place to find them (but not better price).

3. If purchased in Japan, will warranty be honored here? - I don't think so. The authority for that is the US Nikon.

4. Any opinions about purchasing lenses in Japan? I will be buying authentic Nikon lenses... - You will get authentic products from a big store.

I always window shop whenever I was in Japan. Yodobashi in Shinjuku and various stores in Akihabara are my favorites. I will be in Osaka in 2 weeks, plan to check out the Yodobashi and Den Den Town there (not to buy). Do my research in Japan and buy in US.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 1:53 pm
Oxb

Programs: Earthling, TSA Disparager Gold
Generally, NikonUSA will not honor the warranty on a nonUSA Nikon product bought in the USA. If you purchase the item outside of the USA and present your receipt that proves that fact NikonUSA will honor the Nikon worldwide warranty.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 8:37 pm

New lens/camera prices are as high or higher then US mail order prices. Its really hard to beat B&H, Adorama, or KEH for new Nikon prices. HOWEVER.....

Used lens prices in Japan are great and the equipment is indistinguishable from brand new equipment. The Japanese take care of their equipment, and upgrade frequently, thus resulting in some good used lens prices. When the exchange rate was 120 yen/dollar I purchased a 80-200/2.8 2-ring for 580 dollars that looked like it had been taken out of the box and just put on display.

My favorite place for used lens shopping is Fujiya camera located in Nakano, about 30 minutes via train from Ginza. Its located just north of Nakano station on the we4stern side of town, outside the Yamanote line.

The prices are great at Fujiya, and the selection is among the best in Tokyo for both new and used equipment. They have shelves full of used Nikon (more popular here then Canon) and they will let you examine the lens fully to include providing a camera body to go through all the functions of the lens. They provide a (7 day I think) exchange policy and provide a Nikon International warranty if the lens is new enough to be covered. Fujiya camera also has some english speaking workers who can help you with the transaction. Overall its a bit out of the way and hard to find for westerners, but they must be doing something right because everytime I have gone I have seen westerners selling their used equipment and buying new stuff. Oh, that's right, they also offer good prices for your used equipment!
Old Dec 20, 2007, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Hertz Presidents Circle
Thanks for all the responses. I will be staying at Hilton Tokyo in Shinjuku, so will certainly check out Yodobashi.

halcyongolf, thanks for the tip on Fujiya camera. I am in the market for a couple of lenses and (hopefully) a speedlight (SB800). I know how much these items cost here in the US and will see if I can get them any cheaper at Fujiya...I don't mind used lenses, but will speedlights have to be new...!

Thanks again.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVPG, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mf44
I don't know about specifically buying lenses in Japan, but I know that Nikon equipment sold outside of the US has an international warranty, rather than a US warranty. This means that for any service you'd need to send it in to Nikon somewhere OUTSIDE the USA (usually Canada). The US service centers will not accept it for warranty work.
Actually, that is not the case. As long as you have the International warranty, any Nikon service center should service it. I purchased my 18-200 VR lens in Taiwan (because, well, they actually had them in stock and it was slightly cheaper than in the US), and I've had no issues getting it serviced by Nikon USA.

I believe it is the grey market lenses imported by someone else that Nikon USA will not service. But if you import it yourself with the International warranty, you should be fine.

To address the OP's question--I've found myself in the same boat. I've really wanted to buy a new lens in Japan, but it turned out to be significantly more expensive than in the US. Same with pretty much everywhere else in Asia I've been. It doesn't help that the dollar is tanking right now, either
Old Dec 24, 2007, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by seadan
Actually, that is not the case. As long as you have the International warranty, any Nikon service center should service it. I purchased my 18-200 VR lens in Taiwan (because, well, they actually had them in stock and it was slightly cheaper than in the US), and I've had no issues getting it serviced by Nikon USA.

I believe it is the grey market lenses imported by someone else that Nikon USA will not service. But if you import it yourself with the International warranty, you should be fine.

To address the OP's question--I've found myself in the same boat. I've really wanted to buy a new lens in Japan, but it turned out to be significantly more expensive than in the US. Same with pretty much everywhere else in Asia I've been. It doesn't help that the dollar is tanking right now, either
I'm curious now; did you have warranty service completed or did you pay for the service required?
Old Dec 25, 2007, 9:56 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVPG, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mf44
I'm curious now; did you have warranty service completed or did you pay for the service required?
Warranty service was completed; I believe they replaced the focusing motor and my only cost was shipping it to them.

Another poster summarized it well, I think: International product bought internationally can be serviced by NikonUSA under warranty, but International product bought in the USA (e.g. imported by someone else) can not.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.