Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

How (and where) to embed your pictures in the Travel Photography forum

Old Sep 16, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gfunkdave
I have copied the first post in this thread to this wiki so anyone can edit it.

A few people have asked in various threads, and I though that this might be a good opportunity to have some instructions for the various image hosting services out there on how to present their images on the TPF forum. I'm going to include the couple responses I've already drafted, but if people have info for ones I haven't included feel free to suggest the provider to me and/or write up the instructions.

S.
And, once you've decided to post your images on FlyerTalk, here are a couple decent threads to share on:
If you're having trouble posting images and cannot seem to figure out why they aren't showing up in the post, make sure to check your profile settings. There is an option to display images or not, and that may be the source of the problems. To get to the setting, click on the My FlyerTalk link, then on the Edit Options link. On that page scroll down and make sure that the check box is selected next to the option "Show Images (including attached images and images in [IMG] code)" and save the settings. Hopefully that will fix things.

Update:
Just wanted to add a welcome to folks who are coming over to this thread from some of the other fora that recently had photo embedding enabled. If you're having any problems or want to include details about a new hosting service please feel free to post in this thread and/or PM me.
Print Wikipost

How (and where) to embed your pictures in the Travel Photography forum

Old Dec 26, 2008, 8:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by semsem
But it is much nicer to put the pictures in the report itself.
Agreed. Which is why I'd suggest you pick one of the many other services that make publishing your images free and easy. You got some pretty good photos in your collection from the trip that I saw on Shutterfly; no good reason to settle for the limited publishing options that they present to you.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 8:01 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
I'm using shutterfly currently for my UAL F class trip report and it works fine however I don't know how to make the pictures larger than thumbnails?
Old Jan 9, 2009, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JHIN
I'm using shutterfly currently for my UAL F class trip report and it works fine however I don't know how to make the pictures larger than thumbnails?
As noted above, I have not found a good way to leverage Shutterfly as a host for third-party sharing of images. Sorry.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 11:22 am
Original Poster

A smugmug Update!

I got sick of copy/pasting to "assemble" a link from my smugmug gallery, so I spent a bit of time over the past day and managed to cobble together a Grease Monkey script that will put together the UBB code for a particular picture when you click on the Share | Get a link option for any image. It will add a text box at the top of the page. The default code will have the link to the LightBox of the image and will show the medium sized image. Those options can be edited in the script towards the top; there is some documentation in the comments for how to do it.

The code looks like this:
[URL="http://gallery.millerworks.net/gallery/7770679_V8fYm/1/#502752747_KJN8q-A-LB"][IMG]http://gallery.millerworks.net/photos/502752747_KJN8q-M.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
and results in this being displayed:

You can get a copy of the GreaseMonkey script here:
http://old.wanderingaramean.com/smugmug-UBB.user.js

Once you've installed the script you'll need to manage the included sites bit through the GreaseMonkey interface to reflect your personal smugmug account.

ETA: This was all well and good, and the original script is still online, but it turns out that it no longer works and it is wholly unnecessary. SmugMug has updated their systems to now essentially provide the results that my script does and they do it natively. Just chose the BBCode-Medium line on the Embeddable Links page when you go to share an image.

Last edited by sbm12; Sep 17, 2009 at 5:00 pm
Old Apr 3, 2010, 8:36 am

Programs: No Longer Anything
preventing downloads

I don't think I saw this addressed in this thread; can anyone tell me if there is a way to stop photos from being saved off a FT post? I am using Picassa to host. I didn't think I could save photos from these threads before, but definitely can now.

Not that big of a deal for what photos I have posted (not many), but it would limit my use of some others I have.

Is the solution using watermarks or other photo labeling?
Old Apr 3, 2010, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JenGal
I don't think I saw this addressed in this thread; can anyone tell me if there is a way to stop photos from being saved off a FT post? I am using Picassa to host. I didn't think I could save photos from these threads before, but definitely can now.

Not that big of a deal for what photos I have posted (not many), but it would limit my use of some others I have.

Is the solution using watermarks or other photo labeling?
If the image is published online preventing it from being downloaded is almost impossible; there are workarounds to just about every technical "solution" presented. I've chosen to watermark my photos in most cases (SmugMug does it for me automatically or I use Picasa to do so if exporting and posting to my blog), or just acknowledge that they are of a low enough resolution that they aren't really useful to most folks looking to get rich by stealing my content.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 6:41 pm

Programs: No Longer Anything
Thanks sbm12. I'll have to look into that. My picasa webpage is not public, but that has no influence. I'm not a big poster of anything on the internet (FT is the only website I have ever participate in), and don't think anyone would make money off my photos; but only want to share some photos for people to view. thanks, learn something every day!
Old Apr 3, 2010, 8:48 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by sbm12
... that they are of a low enough resolution that they aren't really useful to most folks looking to get rich by stealing my content.
I think this is a key. I have a pretty extensive Facebook album that I share with my friends. None of them would rip me off but I don't know that others can't get to it. I just make sure I post only in "e-mail" resolution - usually 800x600 - and figure nobody is going to make anything on such low-res images. They look fine on the web but would not reproduce worth a hoot.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 7:42 pm
Suspended

Thanks for suggesting the great list photo up lode sites.

Thanks for suggesting the great list photo up lode sites.
The images posted here are awesome .
Old Jul 9, 2010, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Help

Need help with using Photobucket to post photos. I've been posting a bunch of aircraft interior photos to that thread in this forum; this is the first time I've been posting photos to Flyertalk.

It seems straightforward, but what seems to be happening is that if I upload several pictures, resize them, and then post them, the last of the pictures does not show properly when linked to from FT. On Photobucket it is showing the photo has been re-sized to 640x480, but the image that actually loads into Flyertalk is still 1024x768. And heaven forbid I need to rotate the last photo, that doesn't show up properly either (it's weird that I even need to rotate a photo in PB, since it's always properly oriented on my hard drive before I upload it).

Any hits or suggestions?
Old Oct 10, 2010, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA Plat., 1.52 MM
Embeding photo from Facebook into OMNI

Greetings.
I tried to embed in a post in OMNI forum a photo out of my Facebook page.
My IMG setting seem to me to be enabled.
I copied the URL of my photo in Facebook from the "properties" of the photo.
When I published the post on FT, I got back the URL in blue fonts. I clicked on the URL and got a 404 message (or was it 401?)...
What's your advice?

Thanks for your dedicated work on this PF.
Mandy

p.s. I assume that I can't copy and paste the digital photo from my computer, am I right?
Old Oct 10, 2010, 12:19 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, EZ Pass Plat, Starbucks Gold, Whatever flight is cheapest
Originally Posted by Intrepid
Greetings.
My IMG setting seem to me to be enabled.
The OMNI forums don't allow embedded images.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA Plat., 1.52 MM
Originally Posted by cheepneezy
The OMNI forums don't allow embedded images.
The FT related answer is painfully disappointing.

Your photography work on smugmug is.... AWESOME.
:-::-::-::-::-:
Old Oct 10, 2010, 1:35 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, EZ Pass Plat, Starbucks Gold, Whatever flight is cheapest
The FT related answer is painfully disappointing.

Your photography work on smugmug is.... AWESOME.
:-::-::-::-::-:
Thanks!
Old Oct 10, 2010, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
See this TB motion about many fora that allow embedded pictures on FT. For discussion thread: here

Another fellow FTer was able to share some pictures of the new dog in OMNI from his Facebook page. Check out this thread and see how he did it.

p.s. I assume that I can't copy and paste the digital photo from my computer, am I right?
Correct. (unless your computer provides or serves as a hosting services/site)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.