Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

How (and where) to embed your pictures in the Travel Photography forum

Old Sep 16, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gfunkdave
I have copied the first post in this thread to this wiki so anyone can edit it.

A few people have asked in various threads, and I though that this might be a good opportunity to have some instructions for the various image hosting services out there on how to present their images on the TPF forum. I'm going to include the couple responses I've already drafted, but if people have info for ones I haven't included feel free to suggest the provider to me and/or write up the instructions.

S.
And, once you've decided to post your images on FlyerTalk, here are a couple decent threads to share on:
If you're having trouble posting images and cannot seem to figure out why they aren't showing up in the post, make sure to check your profile settings. There is an option to display images or not, and that may be the source of the problems. To get to the setting, click on the My FlyerTalk link, then on the Edit Options link. On that page scroll down and make sure that the check box is selected next to the option "Show Images (including attached images and images in [IMG] code)" and save the settings. Hopefully that will fix things.

Update:
Just wanted to add a welcome to folks who are coming over to this thread from some of the other fora that recently had photo embedding enabled. If you're having any problems or want to include details about a new hosting service please feel free to post in this thread and/or PM me.
Print Wikipost

How (and where) to embed your pictures in the Travel Photography forum

Old Oct 18, 2008, 6:50 am

Programs: AA MARRIOTT Lifetime Plat Premier ; Marriott Vacation Club
Originally Posted by sbm12
For folks who don't want to find a 3rd party hosting source, FlyerTalk now offers photo album hosting as part of your user profile.
I've been using PBase for my image hosting & posting here on FT and elsewhere. I also notice that the "image" icon has disappeared from my message editing capabilities. The new syntax I find when clicking the IMG box thus far leaves me confused as I can only show a link and not an image using either command.

More important, I do not see anything about an album link when I click My Flyer Talk. If I click your "pictures and images" referred to in your message, I get a denial of permission message which seems to indicate that I'm not picutre album access enabled.

Kind of looks as if this thing is not yet rolling ( not a problem as I can check back in a few days ). It was more coincidental that today I sit down to post some images in a message and get myself entangled in a different posting syntax.

Barry
Old Oct 18, 2008, 7:03 am

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, EZ Pass Plat, Starbucks Gold, Whatever flight is cheapest
I think the Flyertalk picture and album hosting feature is a benefit of Flyertalk Premium.
Old Oct 18, 2008, 8:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cheepneezy
I think the Flyertalk picture and album hosting feature is a benefit of Flyertalk Premium.
Good to know. Thanks. I updated the instructions above.
Originally Posted by jerseyfinn
I've been using PBase for my image hosting & posting here on FT and elsewhere. I also notice that the "image" icon has disappeared from my message editing capabilities. The new syntax I find when clicking the IMG box thus far leaves me confused as I can only show a link and not an image using either command.
Are you seeing the images in this thread? If not then you need to edit your settings to enable pictures to show. The steps are at the end of the first post. That is usually why people see links instead of images inline in the posts.

As for the image button in post editing, what forum are you in that it isn't present? And are you creating a new post or editing an old one? You have to "go advanced" if you are editing to get the icon to show up.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA MARRIOTT Lifetime Plat Premier ; Marriott Vacation Club
Still having problems

. . . Are you seeing the images in this thread? If not then you need to edit your settings to enable pictures to show. . . .

Yes, I can see the images in this thread just fine, so my settings are OK.

. . . . As for the image button in post editing, what forum are you in that it isn't present? And are you creating a new post or editing an old one? You have to "go advanced" if you are editing to get the icon to show up.
Thanks for the hints.

When I reply to your message in this response ( hitting the quick reply button ) , the insert image icon is immediately visible, even before hitting the "go advanced button". The picture icon is also visible after I hit "go advanced".

Here's the interesting part, I can not get the picture icon to display in the US Airways forum, the Marriott forum, Hawaii forum, or UK forum ( I stop at this point ). This applies either starting a new thread, quick reply to a thread or a quote to reply. It is plain and simple not there.

So . . . . it looks like images may not be enabled in many of the forums reply/new thread actions, save this, the travel photography forum. At least that is how it is beginning to look.

Thanks again,

Barry
Old Oct 21, 2008, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerseyfinn
So . . . . it looks like images may not be enabled in many of the forums reply/new thread actions, save this, the travel photography forum. At least that is how it is beginning to look.
You figured it out. Currently there are six fora that support images. They are Travel Photography, Trip Reports, FlyingBlue, CommunityBuzz, Starwood and Luxury Hotels.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

ImageShack

Posting images from ImageShack is pretty easy. They actually have a box on the page when viewing an image that has all the code you need. The problem is that they have too much code there.

On this page you see the image and then below it you'll see four boxes with code in them. When you click in the top box ("Forum") it will automatically highlight all the text. Right-click and choose copy. Then come back over to FlyerTalk and choose paste. That will give you this:
[URL=http://img519.imageshack.us/my.php?image=file0001061kj5.jpg][IMG]h ttp://img519.imageshack.us/img519/6782/file0001061kj5.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
[URL=http://g.imageshack.us/img519/file0001061kj5.jpg/1/][IMG]http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/file0001061kj5.jpg/1/w640.png[/IMG][/URL]
As you can see, there are two entries there. The first one is actually the picture. The second one is an advertising bit that we don't really need. So you can delete that second bit and be left with this:
[URL=http://img519.imageshack.us/my.php?image=file0001061kj5.jpg][IMG]http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/6782/file0001061kj5.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
When the extra spaces are removed you get this:

Image used from Boeinglover24's collection.

Last edited by sbm12; Dec 4, 2008 at 10:21 am
Old Nov 24, 2008, 8:59 am
Original Poster

FlyerTalk Gallery

FlyerTalk Galleries is another photo sharing venue that is available. I don't really know much about the rules for posting there, but they support a lot of file formats (jpg, jpeg, gif, png, asx, asf, avi, mpg, mpeg, mp2, wmv, mov, qt, swf, mp4, rm, ram) and apparently images can be uploaded in a ZIP archive to create a gallery, among other methods.

The main page of a gallery has all the thumbnails. If you right click on one of those images and choose properties you'll get something like this:
http://gallery.flyertalk.com/gallery/albums/DCA-CBRthelongway/IMG_1623.thumb.jpg

The URL is the gallery name, the IMG_1623 part is the picture name and then there is the .thumb part and the .jpg part. In addition to ".thumb" there is also a ".sized" option that will give a larger image and one that is more conducive to viewing in a trip report.

So basically you can construct the path to the image that you want to embed by using the path to the gallery ([noparse]http://gallery.flyertalk.com/gallery/albums/DCA-CBRthelongway[noparse]) the image name (IMG_NNNN), .sized for a normal sized image and .jpg at the end. If you put all that together and paste it in the box that pops up when you click on the insert picture button it should work out for you. Obviously you'll need to change the picture file name depending on which one you want to show.

In this case, the image put inside the [I MG]...[/IMG] tags looks like this:

Pictures by, and instructions produced with the help of, [B]Fly'nAAgain[/B]

Last edited by sbm12; Dec 4, 2008 at 10:22 am
Old Nov 25, 2008, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
... In this case, the image put inside the [I MG]...[/IMG] tags looks like ...
If you want to include proper syntax, use the "NOPARSE" tags:

e.g. [noparse][IMG]...[/IMG][/noparse] will show as [IMG]...[/IMG]
Old Nov 25, 2008, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
FlyerTalk Galleries is another photo sharing venue that is available. ...
I use this all the time. Rather than embed large images directly into the post, I use smaller image sizes from which the larger images can be loaded if desired simply by clicking on them.

Note that FlyerTalk galleries automatically generates three images of different sizes, from thumbnails to large.

Generally I use the "Thumbnails" as centred image < 10Kb, with embedded links to the larger versions.

Syntax:

"[CENTRE][URL=<larger image url>][IMG]<image thumbnail URL>[/IMG]<new line>
<Image Title/Desc>[/URL][/CENTER]"

e.g.
"[CENTER][URL="http://gallery.flyertalk.com/gallery/album28/065_sun_morning"][IMG]http://gallery.flyertalk.com/gallery/albums/album28/065_sun_morning.thumb.jpg[/IMG]
2007 ZQN Do
Sunday Morning[/URL][/CENTER]"

Shows as this:
Click on the thumbnail/title to get a larger one, click on the resulting image to get the main one.

Last edited by serfty; Dec 4, 2008 at 3:38 pm
Old Nov 26, 2008, 8:20 am

Programs: After years of status, back to Peon levels. Anti-Apostheid Platinum, PWP CentCom
FlyerTalk Galleries is another photo sharing venue that is available. I don't really know much about the rules for posting there, but they support a lot of file formats (jpg, jpeg, gif, png, asx, asf, avi, mpg, mpeg, mp2, wmv, mov, qt, swf, mp4, rm, ram) and apparently images can be uploaded in a ZIP archive to create a gallery, among other methods.
I'd keep this in mind before posting your photos to any kind of hosting provided by FlyerTalk:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...0&postcount=26

Personally, I'm pretty sure that the aforementioned policy wouldn't hold up if someone mounted a legal challenge, but I'd just as soon not go there in the first place.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
[*]After photo loads, click "Preset Sizes" ==> "Message Board" ==> "Apply" ==> "Save" ==> "Overwrite existing..." or "Save new copy".
I could not find the option for Message board on Photobucket. 15" screen option seems to work though.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lallyr
I could not find the option for Message board on Photobucket. 15" screen option seems to work though.
Indeed, they've changed the options there. The Large option (640x480) or the 15" Screen option (800x600) are both reasonable for use here. I've updated the instructions.

I'm also going through and updating the instructions for all the services to leverage the noparse tag. Thanks, serfty!!

Last edited by sbm12; Dec 4, 2008 at 10:13 am
Old Dec 8, 2008, 9:29 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Thank you for this tutorial! ^
Old Dec 26, 2008, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by semsem
C:\Documents and Settings\....\My Documents\My Pictures\Adobe\Digital Camera Photos\2008-12-25-1217-50
semsem:

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

I noticed your troubles here and in the TripReports thread where you tried to put the pictures in your post. I just took a look at the Shutterfly interface to see if it is one that we could add to this tutorial. Unfortunately it seems that Shutterfly is much more focused on hosting images in order to make money selling prints than they are on allowing images to be hosted and shared. Based on that it seems that they do not really have a reasonable means for being a source for embedding your photos to share here. If you use one of the other services noted in the first post on this thread you should have better success.

S.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 8:14 pm

Thank you. I will check the other sites. I tried to indent but my addresses started with a C: not HTTP and it did not work.

At least I figured out Shutterfly. But it is much nicer to put the pictures in the report itself.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.