Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

Good Educational Resources

Good Educational Resources

Old May 21, 2007, 6:02 pm

Another site to add to the list...

Digital Photography Photojournal - basically a compilation of reviews, plus a few other random nuggets. They do have nice side-by-side reviews of new cameras compiled from some of the major sites listed elsewhere in these two threads.
Old May 22, 2007, 8:17 am

Programs: After years of status, back to Peon levels. Anti-Apostheid Platinum, PWP CentCom
Originally Posted by Emma65
Just picked up the Adobe Photoshop Lightroom book by Scott Kelby. Just flipped through it and yup - it's well worth the money.

I do consider myself being a fairly advanced computer user. I have been running Lightroom since the first beta came out. Still there is a ton of stuff in there for me to learn and already picked up a few things.

Now I'm going to have less sleep than I already do.
I took a skim through this one and Martin Evening's Lightroom book at Borders recently, and for once, I can recommend Kelby's book over Evening's (where the opposite holds for Photoshop). I don't know if I'd call either of them "worth it" at US$40, but with one of those frequent 30% off coupons at Borders I keep getting in email, it might be a better deal.
Old May 25, 2007, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA MARRIOTT Lifetime Plat Premier ; Marriott Vacation Club
Some additional sources for Photography Phanatics

For those of you who are now digital photography oriented:

I'd suggest subscribing to PCPhoto magazine. I like it's balance between photography, articles on techniques, listings for hands-on photography seminars and photography sessions, and a very nifty section on how to better use Photoshop. I know that there's lots of photography magazines and journals out there, but this one is fresh and emphasizes the digital world.

Because photography and Photoshop now go hand in hand , I'd also suggest going to Adobe.com and signing up for e-mail updates on the various Photoshop and related products as Adobe sponsers all sorts of seminars around the country ( many are free or nominal charge ). Some of these seminars have extensive emphasis upon photography as it relates to Photoshop. I've attended a few of these and I learn new things both about Photoshop and photography.

If you're a Photoshop photographer enthusiast, I also suggest joining NAPP -- the national association of photoshop professionals. The organization encompasses and serves graphic designers, web authors, content desingers, and photographers. It's magazine, Photoshop User is the Gold Standard for Photoshop. Mr. Kelby and others write monthly in this magazine, offering useful practical tips both for photographers and for Photoshop users. Also another good source for finding out about photo seminars and lectures around the country.

I have benefited greatly as a photo enthusiast from all three of the above sources.

Barry
Old Jul 1, 2007, 9:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by Emma65
Just picked up the Adobe Photoshop Lightroom book by Scott Kelby. Just flipped through it and yup - it's well worth the money.

I do consider myself being a fairly advanced computer user. I have been running Lightroom since the first beta came out. Still there is a ton of stuff in there for me to learn and already picked up a few things.

Now I'm going to have less sleep than I already do.

/E
Im fairly new to the computer side of photography and have been struggling with it. Based on the recommendations for Lightroom discussed on the other thread I ordered Kelbys book on Lightroom from Amazon Wednesday night and got it Friday. In just the time since then I have learned a huge amount, and I can see lots more. Im really delighted with this book and would highly recommend it to anyone doing digital photography and using Lightroom, and maybe even people not using Lightroom (although why would anyone not use Lightroom? ).
Old Jul 1, 2007, 4:03 pm

Programs: FB, EB, Delta, AC, PC, HH.
All lightroom users who have bought the Kelby book should go to www.scottkelby.com and follow instructions on how to get the 28 page pdf which includes the new uses of lightroom 1.1
Old Jul 31, 2007, 6:28 am

To me a while to get through this one...

I bought "Mastering Digital SLR Photography" by David Busch over a year and a half ago and now just finished it (yeah, I'm one of those people with a huge stack of books at the bedside that takes years to finish)

I'd have to say I was pleasantly surprised by this one. I wouldn't say this book is a "must have" or for everyone, but a very interesting read and reference if you are interested in a deeper discussion of the technical aspects of digital photography (Like the differences between CCD, CMOS, and why Fovean is theoretically better than the Bayer pattern, etc.) - a nice background into the whys and hows of digital as it relates to photography. In the end, it *is* a photography book, so it's interesting for the geeky (such as myself) as well as for the photographer who wants to gain a deeper understanding on how to manipulate those pixels for better pictures.

Nothing in this book provides really new information about digital technology, photography, or post-processing. What made this book useful to me was that it combined all 3 into one book and one comprensive discussion. This is why I'd say it's a non-essential book, but made interesting because of the context. If you're someone who always asks "why" then this is a good book to have.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA-PLT CO BA UA
Lot's of good suggestions already but I'd like to add:

www.danheller.com -- very successful travel photographer. He has a detailed section on his site of tutorials for photographers. The link is at the top of the home page (tutorials). He also has books which he sells on his web site but there is a wealth of information on his site.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

this thread should be Sticky-fied!
Old Dec 30, 2008, 4:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by chexfan
this thread should be Sticky-fied!
I agree. Thanks for pointing it out.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 2:01 pm

i liked the article that thom hogan wrote on how digital cameras work. i was wondering if there are other more indepth articles of that nature available? having studied electrical engineering in college, i'm curious as to what sort of digital signal processing techniques are commonly employed in digi-cams these days ...
Old Jan 5, 2009, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Don't forget this, it is fast coming up.

http://www.photoshopworld.com/
Old Apr 1, 2009, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL - exPlat (now Gold) ; AB - Gold ; TK - Gold; BMI - exGold; US - exChairman ; UA-ex1K; NW-exGold
For photogs that travel feel free to check out my site. I address many concerns related to traveling with gear and often if you search the site you'll find some decent answers

www.flyingwithfish.com
Old Apr 1, 2009, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA Advantage Starwood
For lighting geeks...

The strobist is a top notch site for learning about lighting and flash. It is a tough and bottomless subject for a photographer. There are many video tutorials there

http://www.strobist.blogspot.com/
Old Apr 10, 2009, 1:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH LTD
Does anyone here know the New York Institute of Photography?
Old Aug 22, 2009, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bdjohns1
Nikon should just get rid of whoever writes their manuals and let Thom Hogan write them. He's that good.
It's not just Nikon. Canon manuals suck also. It must be because they are written in Japanese and then translated into English. Also, for the same reasons, the thought-word processes are very different for English speaking readers.......Funny words and terms, etc

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.