Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

Advice for extended travel - photo gear?

Old Jul 27, 2017, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Earlier this year I went on a 60 day trip to NZ+Australia, but was very worried about my carry-on limit. Apart from my "laptop bag", I had my photo backpack. It has an insert, so I actually checked my actual camera "bag"/liner, and filled the insert. I had:
- My full frame camera
- 2 camera lenses
- DJI Mavic drone + extra batteries + controller
- GoPro + extra batteries
- Some delicate camera accessories that I couldn't check (i.e. glass filters)
- Battery power bank

And then I checked my tripod in my luggage. Although I never got checked for size or weight, I just barely fit within the weight limit. And the camera bag itself is like 2-3lbs, so good thing I checked that I guess (it makes everthing look bigger too).

I'm looking to return for an extended trip to NZ, but would like to bring at least a couple more items. Very concerned about it fitting in the carry-on though. Checking camera gear is just asking for problems (plus I can't exactly lug a pelican case around with me?) and then there are things like the batteries which take up space+weight yet are required to be in carry-on. I did chuck a few of the smaller items in my pockets - like the power bank and batteries, but it'll also be warmer this time around and having a jacket would just look further out of place...

10kg (or more!) carry-on limit would be great, but Air NZ has 7kg. I think if I were to book another international flight to Auckland, I could get a higher carry-on limit - but then what about the domestic flight from Auckland to, say, Queenstown (I want to go to south island)? I'm traveling from Toronto, and so my route would almost certainly be YYZ->(SFO or YVR or LAX)->AKL->(somewhere in south island)

I thought about renting a lens or two there (even if I already own it!) but I think the extended rental price would make it a silly decision. I *did* manage with what I brought last time, but honestly would have liked to have an extra lens or two, like one that works ideal for astrophotography...

Apart from just packing a heavier carry-on and just hoping for the best, does anyone have any advice or suggestions for this?
Old Aug 5, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: QF
Travel a premium cabin and carry 2 bags or look into a foam lined Pelican case for checked baggage.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 2:10 pm

About the only other option would be to ship it in a locked, sturdy pelican case to your hotel and switching your gear back into its normal case(s) when you get there but if you're talking 10+kg that's not going to be a cheap option either.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.