Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Photobucket and TRs image linking deleted

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2017, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by DanielW
I use smugmug for my website/photo hosting, $60 a year so very reasonable.
As with BA's Buy in Board*, I'm reluctant to start paying for what used to be free

* (Not that I/we fly in Economy )
Old Jul 1, 2017, 9:06 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

And why you guys don't want free Flickr hosting?
Old Jul 1, 2017, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by bwiadca
I recommend Flickr too. Imgur compresses/reduces the quality of the pics, whereas Flickr doesn't.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bwiadca
Imgur seems to work for me, and seems highly rated. I've already 'repaired' 3 large Trip Reports in the last 24 hours, so it's clearly user-friendly for an old person!

I looked at hosting here on FT, but the image size seems a constraint. I shall explore that further, but until I actually test it in an extant TR I'm not yet convinced it's the best route. But Pharmawalk's image on the previous page suggests it works ... provided I down-size imagery much more than usual (I used 1800 px width).

Last edited by T8191; Jul 1, 2017 at 10:10 am
Old Jul 1, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by T8191
Thanks, pharmawalk ... I'll have an explore of that and see how it goes. That would certainly cover the TR requirement 'in-house'
You betcha! GoDaddy has a promotion right now for $1/mo for 100GB webhosting with a domain name.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 11:57 am

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Imgur seems to work for me, and seems highly rated. I've already 'repaired' 3 large Trip Reports in the last 24 hours, so it's clearly user-friendly for an old person!

I looked at hosting here on FT, but the image size seems a constraint. I shall explore that further, but until I actually test it in an extant TR I'm not yet convinced it's the best route. But Pharmawalk's image on the previous page suggests it works ... provided I down-size imagery much more than usual (I used 1800 px width).
FT actually downsizes pics for you, although it recommends doing it yourself for best quality. Seems like the auto-downsize works fine though.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pharmawalk
You betcha! GoDaddy has a promotion right now for $1/mo for 100GB webhosting with a domain name.
I NEVER pay for things I can get Free

But thanks for the thought

Originally Posted by pharmawalk
FT actually downsizes pics for you, although it recommends doing it yourself for best quality. Seems like the auto-downsize works fine though
Oh, goody! That will/could save a lot of time. I'm not looking for a Photographer of the Year award, with my pocket Lumix! DMC SZ10 ... so its IT day tomorrow

(EDIT = Seems to be working well ... if a bit slowly. And. strangely, it doesn't seem to sort the images in numerical order, so I'm using List view which works just fine)

Last edited by T8191; Jul 1, 2017 at 1:19 pm
Old Jul 1, 2017, 1:19 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

FT's image attachment facility is pretty convenient but it isn't really set up for trip reports. For example it simply displays the images at the foot of the post. While you can control the display order, what you cannot do is interlace the images within the narrative or add captions.

I think flickr would probably be the best fit for your needs Uncle T
Old Jul 1, 2017, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Prospero
FT's image attachment facility is pretty convenient but it isn't really set up for trip reports. For example it simply displays the images at the foot of the post. While you can control the display order, what you cannot do is interlace the images within the narrative or add captions.

I think flickr would probably be the best fit for your needs Uncle T
I'll see how it goes.

It doesn't seem to be embedding in the text at all, having loaded 4/5 pictures. Or even going to the end of the post! Imgur for now, I think, but open to other options as FT doesn't seem to work.

Something to do whilst iWife does the laundry tomorrow morning
Old Jul 2, 2017, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Using the FT "Albums" facility in "My Profile" seems to working fine: a bit fiddly to operate, but with care it's OK. My thanks again to pharmawalk for setting me on the right path! ^
It's NOT the "attachments" feature, which as Prospero says puts the pictures at the end of the post.

First Part of "PHX2" already updated. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post28179252

Last edited by T8191; Jul 2, 2017 at 3:28 am
Old Jul 8, 2017, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

My plan of hosting TR images here on FT has failed, as it appears there is a limit of 100 photos

Oh, well, off to Imgur to carry on repairing
Old Jul 23, 2017, 6:48 pm

Programs: QF, HH
My plan of hosting TR images here on FT has failed, as it appears there is a limit of 100 photos
Dang! Feeling the same, and there's other forums out there too with folks similarly freaking out over this sudden change. What's the bet Photobucket is going to lose a lots of members... Not to mention the clumpy website – even my latest MacBook spits the dummy on their page!

My few trip reports are now a mass of text with no imagery too. Personally I like a mixture of good writing with a few great snaps. But those snaps are no longer, until I get around to updating. Sounds like my weekend will be given over to this new-fandangled uploading business!
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I NEVER pay for things I can get Free
Sometimes you get what you pay for.....

I do agree, though, that SmugMug is for serious photographers hosting, presenting, sometimes selling, their portfolios. They gave up on the free account/mass market approach quite a few years ago.

Perhaps this - 16 Free Image Hosting Websites for Your Photos - can help. It says it provides deatils on all the sites, so things like count/storage limits, resolution, linking, etc., may all be covered in one place.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPRich
Sometimes you get what you pay for.....

I do agree, though, that SmugMug is for serious photographers hosting, presenting, sometimes selling, their portfolios. They gave up on the free account/mass market approach quite a few years ago.

Perhaps this - 16 Free Image Hosting Websites for Your Photos - can help. It says it provides deatils on all the sites, so things like count/storage limits, resolution, linking, etc., may all be covered in one place.
Thanks for the thoughtful and constructive reply. ^

I'm not in the least bit serious about photography. I just want to illustrate my TRs. If I can't do that, I just stop bothering to write them

And ... I have no idea why the ANU slips into post #3 when linked!!
Old Jul 28, 2017, 11:25 am

EDIT: Nevermind the post below. It didn't work. I was logged in to Google Photos so I was able to see the pic, but no one else could.

If you use google photos to backup your pictures, you could link them to here too.

Just follow these steps:
1) Go to Google Photos and find the picture
2) Put your browser in window mode and adjust the size to get the size of the picture you want to insert
3) Right click on image and Copy Image Location
4) Click Insert Image Icon here and paste the URL
5) Add -tmp.jpg to the end of the URL and click OK.

Like this:

Last edited by Need; Jul 28, 2017 at 5:51 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.