Convince me I shouldn't buy a small drone

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Convince me I shouldn't buy a small drone

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2017, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

its not really crowdfunding, but the drone market and a few other markets. basically creating PR to sell Y product at 10X, when same exact product Y is available without same middlemen for X. with zero difference in product, not like a product with lower manufacturing cost. literally the same.

and then with how big the markups can be, the products can be worse, or even scams.

Originally Posted by chx1975
First time my wallet thanks Flyertalk. Usually it becomes much lighter reading various product threads here but this time the money stays in there.
i agree with those suggesting: why (buy) ? i have never really gotten the point, but then i am weird and do not get the point of many popular things. on the other hand, not everything that is popular is good/etc.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 4:30 am

Programs: Flying Blue ; Qatar Privilege Club, KrisFlyer
If you want to fly a drone, then be prepared to concentrate on uninhabited areas (wilderness, mountains, seaside, empty parks) because you are not allowed to fly over other people basically. Of course the laws differ where you go, but this is a basic guideline. It's lots of fun, though and you soon appreciate how awesome drone footage looks compared to handheld video or stills.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: AS MVPG, UA Silver, Marriott + SPG Gold, Global Entry
I just shot this in Mexico, it will probably convince you to get one haha
Old Apr 9, 2017, 8:00 pm
Used to be 'Scooter'

Programs: Free Agent
I couldn't have stumbled on this thread at a better time. I've been trying to justify reasons to get a drone for several weeks now, but I'm coming to the conclusion that it'll be basically useless here in San Diego unless I want to go way out in the desert to play with it.

Bummer, cause I really want one!
Old Apr 10, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: (PM)AA SPG (Marriott), Hilton
Originally Posted by chx1975
So I am looking at this [drone] ... and need someone to convince me it's a bad idea. I am salivating here about what video I could make if I could fly this around, say, Il Duomo di Firenze.
Search Youtube for "Drone" + your topic, and you may find videos you can enjoy without the expense of buying and flying one. "Duomo di Firenze" seems to have some drone footage (external) already posted. Viewing the footage may either fill your needs or just encourage them.

If you're not taking pictures of you, footage that already exists may be good enough. If you are taking pictures of you, the cameras on average drones may not be the best for this.

One drone that caught my eye in the past was the "Hover Camera" (url: gethover.com). Their drone is $600 with a 1-3 month lead time as of this writing. The weight of this drone is explicitly kept low enough to avoid some regulatory issues as mentioned upthread. This one is designed to allow indoor use. The propellers are well guarded, unlike the one in mentioned in post 1.

Casey Neistat reviewed a pre/early release copy of the Hover Camera in a youtube video titled "$550 FOLDABLE 4K NOTEBOOK DRONE "

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.