DSLR inflight use

Old Apr 3, 2017, 6:37 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM & 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I'd rather have a slower lens with 4 stops of IS than a fast lens. Also, if photographing food is important, even in premium cabin the food is going to be really close to you. You'll want to see what the minimum focus distance of your lens is. And remember that if you get a fast lens, if you're taking a photo at F1.2 or 1.8, etc, your depth of field will be really shallow. And if you decide to use it a smaller aperture to get greater DOF, you won't have IS to help with the increased exposure time. And aircraft generally are not smooth platforms, its something you'll really notice trying to take a picture inside an aircraft cabin. The IS makes a huge difference.

You'll also often find that airplane windows vary in optical quality. It often doesn't matter at all how good your gear is. And forget about taking photos out of a RJ window, I'm pretty sure they scrub those things with Brillo I've also found that windows near the boarding door are often in worse shape, I'd guess due to the jetbridge shroud rubbing on the window exterior.

I've never had any issue taking photos with my DSLR in the aircraft cabin, the noise is minimal compared to the ambient noise while in flight.

Anyway, I love my window seats and haven't yet gotten tired taking photos out the window I'll usually figure out the optimal seating based upon where I'm expecting the sun to be and what we might be flying near. Enjoy!
Old Apr 9, 2017, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by thesun
I'd rather have a slower lens with 4 stops of IS than a fast lens. Also, if photographing food is important, even in premium cabin the food is going to be really close to you. You'll want to see what the minimum focus distance of your lens is. And remember that if you get a fast lens, if you're taking a photo at F1.2 or 1.8, etc, your depth of field will be really shallow. And if you decide to use it a smaller aperture to get greater DOF, you won't have IS to help with the increased exposure time. And aircraft generally are not smooth platforms, its something you'll really notice trying to take a picture inside an aircraft cabin. The IS makes a huge difference.
With moving objects in your photo, a faster lens becomes more important than the IS. And while I agree that the IS does help, I don't depend on it for 4 stops. And if you are really worried about your DOF being too small, you can focus stack (which is what I have to do for shooting macro even at f/11).
Old May 4, 2017, 8:07 am

As some of the previous posters have mentioned, getting a faster lens will help, but I would get either a 16-35, 50 prime, or 24-70. Another thing you could do is bump up the ISO setting on your camera. I think your camera should be able to handle ISO1600 without too much "graininess" in your image. Even if there is a little, you can "take it out" in post processing.

As for me, for photos of family and food in the airplane, I'll just use the 16-35 so I don't have to switch lenses. I will use flash sometimes if needed. Now a days, I'll have a family member turn on the cell phone flashlight to illuminate the food and take photos that way. Regardless, nobody has ever complained.

Enjoy your travel!

Originally Posted by Explorer789
So I'm considering to get my first DSLR (Nikon D7200 and 18-200mm Nikkor lens) soon to use for my upcoming trip this summer. Of course, common sense dictates no flash and avoid taking pics of other people, but one thing I was wondering about is the shutter noise. What's the etiquette to using a DSLR during the flight to take pics of food and window shots? Do you switch to your cellphone for meal service? Or does no one care and do whatever you want?

Just trying to get an idea of what many of you do.
Old May 4, 2017, 5:11 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Hopefully you got your D7200 and 18-200, prices on the D7200 are great now that the D500 is out, LOL.

If you didn't secure a zoom lens you should also consider the 16-85, or the new sigma lens.

I have a few primes, one thing to note fast primes even on DX result in very shallow DOF, a very different look then what you get out of your iPhone, unless it is in portrait mode. SO yes helps with low light, but beween VR and the D7200 sometimes even a fast lens you want to stop down for a little more DOF.

Oh, last tip, DO NOT BUY NEW, used either FM, eBAY or Nikon refurbished, or CL offer screaming deals.
Old May 18, 2017, 3:28 am

Programs: Professional Studies
Nice i also wanted to ask this.
Old May 18, 2017, 6:14 pm

Austrian Air meal in December between FRA & VIE:

Old May 25, 2017, 2:08 pm

I never have problems using my mirrorless camera on the flight. It makes a slight click when it snaps, but the people around probably only hear the sound of the engine. When flying business though, sometimes the flight attendant sees the camera and have asked if I want my photo taken.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.