Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

Southern Utah National Parks: what would you take?

Southern Utah National Parks: what would you take?

Old Jan 23, 2017, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
To clarify the "you need a tour guide", which often confuses people. You do need a tour guide, only for Upper Antelope, but the Indian tribe that manages the location runs them from where you park.

I showed up mid-morning, signed up for the photography tour when the sun rays would be entering the upper canyon (somewhere around 1 or 2 pm - they'll know) and then did the self-tour of the lower canyon for a couple of hours. I walked back over to the parking lot 10 minutes before my slot and hopped on the transport out to Upper.

There are plenty of external tours, at much higher prices - the explanation sometimes makes is seem that you need that.

(unless something has changed in the last several years).

I'd also suggest at least putting your name in for the lottery at The Wave. Only 10 permits a day, with hundreds of applications, but if you get lucky, as I did, it's one of those things a photographer has to do.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich
To clarify the "you need a tour guide", which often confuses people. You do need a tour guide, only for Upper Antelope, but the Indian tribe that manages the location runs them from where you park.

I showed up mid-morning, signed up for the photography tour when the sun rays would be entering the upper canyon (somewhere around 1 or 2 pm - they'll know) and then did the self-tour of the lower canyon for a couple of hours. I walked back over to the parking lot 10 minutes before my slot and hopped on the transport out to Upper.

There are plenty of external tours, at much higher prices - the explanation sometimes makes is seem that you need that.

(unless something has changed in the last several years).

I'd also suggest at least putting your name in for the lottery at The Wave. Only 10 permits a day, with hundreds of applications, but if you get lucky, as I did, it's one of those things a photographer has to do.
Actually, there are 20 permits per day for The Wave, 10 of which are given out throught the online lottery and the other 10 held in reserve for walk-ins. If more than 10 people show up at the BLM office, then they hold a lottery to give out the remaining 10 permits. I've had much better experience getting a permit through the walk-in method than the online lottery.

I went to the lower canyon last year and they have implemented the need for a guide for the lower canyon as well. The lower canyon isn't as crowded at the upper canyon, so if you don't like huge crowds, the lower canyon is a better option. Shop around at the guide booths as they can vary greatly in price and features.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by CPRich
I'd suggest sunrise, at the aptly named Sunrise Point. But hike a few hundred feet down Queen's Garden to avoid the "looking down into" perspective of most shots, from folks who just hang out at the rim.
I've been to Bryce Canyon 4 times over last 4 years and was there for many sunrise / sunsets. My favorite viewpoint to do Sunrise is Bryce Point. You can also shoot sunrise from Inspiration Point but its a lot harder to reach the top as compared walking from the parking lot to Bryce Point.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 7:11 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM & 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by txflyer77
I was planning to pick up perhaps the MeFoto Backpacker Air tripod. I generally haven't used a tripod in the past but this will be my first foray into landscape photography so definitely time to buy one.
Note that the Mefoto Backpacker Air (and I think possibly the whole Air series) isn't super stable, especially if you extend the legs and center column all the way. If you're going to buy it, just note that you might end up having to use it lower to the ground than eye height - it worked much better for me with the center column down all the way which if I recall puts my camera somewhere around chest/neck level. I have a heavier body than you though so you might have better luck.

But it is lightweight and super compact which is why I got it. So if weight and size matter, it could be a good choice but if not you may want something more sturdy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.