Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

BIG camera va (small) camera

Old Dec 5, 2016, 10:18 am
Original Poster

OK so I've got both my trusty canon 7d (and yes, even an OG digital rebel) AND sony nex 5.

I've been lazy and gotten used to nex5 as my travel rig...and perhaps may begin bringing my digital rebel instead of the 7d. has anyone 'downsized" and began brining their 4/3rds and/or older camera when travelling?

btw, if/when I travel and bring the digital rebel, i'll be sure to shoot in raw...as it's the only way to shoot, imo...

TIA! ^^^^^^^^^
Old Dec 5, 2016, 1:28 pm

Programs: most of them
I downsized from Nikon to Olympus m4/3 for my travels. Best decision I ever made.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I still have my 7D, but left my 70-200, 100-400, and tripod home for the family trip to Oz this summer. I can generally get by with 10-22, 24-105, 50 or 85 prime, though I get the long ones out if I'm shooting sports or something specific.

I have too much invested in glass to make a big move, and I don't find any of the Canon EF-mount compacts attractive.

Last edited by CPRich; Dec 5, 2016 at 3:06 pm
Old Dec 9, 2016, 6:41 pm

Programs: MP
I've gone the opposite direction and got more and more upsized

On the other hand though, my glasses collection has grown so much that I can't bring them all with me anymore, so I only bring selected few at a time.

My policy is: As long as I don't regret bringing that extra weight, I'll do it while I still can.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HH Diamond, Delta Platinum
I have a Nikon D610 that I previously traveled with. Between that, the lenses, WEIGHT, and the rest of gear, I decided to not travel with it anymore. A friend of mine had a Leica D-Lux6 with the grip, viewfinder, and flash. I bought all of it from him for $400. BEST decision ever! The Leica takes phenomenal photos and is lightweight. I like it because I can still use all the "features" of the Nikon. Shooting manual, etc, etc. I love this camera and I'm glad I started carrying it around on my trips.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 2:36 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
I prefer a DSLR. For small trips I use a compact camera. I'm not to happy with smartphone pictures.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 3:11 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I carried a BIG camera rig for over 30 years. Made a lot of pictures at some really great locations. Sold a bunch and made a lot more memories. That said, about 5 years ago I switched to m4/3 and have noticed no appreciable decrease in image quality or impact on editorial acceptance. If I did billboards or fashion layouts, I'd still be using full-frame. Since I don't, the only real impact has been to my back - less pain - and my carry-on size - much smaller, lighter and more compact. When I was 30, carrying a 35mm, several lenses and related gear up a 20k+ peak was a pain but necessary. Nowadays, with the equipment we have, I'd never do that.

For travel photography, I would never go back to BIG gear.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HH Diamond, Delta Platinum
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
For travel photography, I would never go back to BIG gear.
Where's the like button???^^^
Old Dec 10, 2016, 6:21 pm

Once I started carrying full frame DSLRs, I was no longer happy with the quality of the pocket Digi-Cams. Maybe subconsciously I started taking poor photos with the little ones to justify the expense and weight of the full frame kits....
Old Dec 10, 2016, 6:22 pm

I suppose the answer lies on what is your true purpose for traveling.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 6:13 am

I have my Sony RX100 for when I truly can't pack more stuff with me and just got myself a Nikon D5500 for all the road trips and easy trips where I can pack myself more stuff. I like having the ability to take more pictures at night and better pictures overall. S7 is my backup for when I really need to do it fast and it's not too dark.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by WorldLux
I prefer a DSLR. For small trips I use a compact camera. I'm not to happy with smartphone pictures.
^

Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
Once I started carrying full frame DSLRs, I was no longer happy with the quality of the pocket Digi-Cams. Maybe subconsciously I started taking poor photos with the little ones to justify the expense and weight of the full frame kits....
Pretty much the same for me, smartphones just can't beat the quality of a DSLR, esp in lower light. I'd love to give mirrorless a try but really don't want to get a second system.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA Plt Pro, UA Silver, DL, QF; HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
I always debate bringing my Canon 5d and lenses -- or just bringing the Fuji x70 and going light. Usually I carry the weight, but if I had it to do all over again I'd invest in a Sony a7rii or similar smaller outfit. I'm too cheap to change now...
Old Dec 12, 2016, 7:06 pm

Problem with mirrorless for me is the EVF. I just find that when I view my shots through a viewfinder, it's just not the same.

Somehow it's as if the joy is being sucked out via the viewfinder.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
I usually travel with a Nikon D5100 DSLR and two lenses. On a recent short trip to Ecuador I realized that I could fit everything I'd need, everything, into a day pack if I didn't have such a large camera, so I dusted off my five-year-old Panasonic superzoom. A few pictures, such as Quito after dark, would have benefited from the Nikon, but not more than that since I'm not planning to make 11x14s from any of them. Definitely the right move. Now I'm considering updating the Panny to something more modern with a 1" sensor, and just using that - selling the Nikon or keeping it for special situations. Have to decide before Jordan and Israel in March. (Maybe the Nikon DLs will finally be available in time ...)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.