Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BIG camera va (small) camera

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2016, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
Originally Posted by pon18n
While theoretically pixel size should have better ISO because they have larger collecting area, in practice it doesn't matter that much.
Yet every comparison of a high resolution body compared to a lower resolution sibling has the lower resolution body with less noise.
And why observatories with science grade sensors still use binning to increase their s/n, which doesn't net 4x better, but up to 2x.

Again, though, every generation of sensor and processor is getting significantly better than predecessors, narrowing the gap. And if your results with your gear get what you want, there is no disagreement.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 6:52 pm

Programs: MS AMEX PLAT- Marriott Titanium-HH G- UA Silver-JPM RC . DL-AA-BA
Big vs Small for me is Nikon D4 vs D700 without the vertical grip I recently purchased a 24-120 f4 VR and i am impressed. I think the D700 with that lens and no vertical grip will be my new favorite for travel.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 8:58 pm

Programs: QF
Canon 5D3 vs RX100M3 vs GoPro Hero 5 Black for me and sometimes all three. Depends on what sort of trip it is, the type of photography I expect to shoot and convenience.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by CitizenWorld
Canon 5D3 vs RX100M3 vs GoPro Hero 5 Black for me and sometimes all three. Depends on what sort of trip it is, the type of photography I expect to shoot and convenience.
Gopro Hero 5 Black ? For daylight it is nice, but night lapses are horrible. No wonder as the sensor is very small. And despite better technologies and software, laws of physics do not allow an equal image quality in low light with a small or large sensor.

I tested mine yesterday side by side with the Canon EOS 6d for a night lapse.

I set the 6d to every 20 seconds an exposure at 15 seconds at ISO 6400, WB 4000K, and mounted the Samyang 14 on it which has just a slightly larger FOV than the Hero 5 in rectilinear mode.

The Hero 5 to Nightlapse Photo, 20 seconds interval, automatic exposure (which will be close to 20 seconds) and the result is very very dark, compared to a nice moving starry sky with the 6d.

EDIT: The AUTO exposture setting was WRONG.

Now I repeated (despite the partly cloudy sky) with exactly the same settings as the 6d: interval 20s and exposure 15s.

That video (short, a few seconds) is reasonable, despite it does not match DSLR quality. The images are not boosted, this is the original exposure.

http://misc.nicejewel.com/flyertalk/...663-854-10.mp4

So hope raises to make nightlapses in full flight. Pasting the Gopro to the aircraft window and let it run ....
For that reason the 6d is way too heavy.

Last edited by airsurfer; Jan 6, 2017 at 11:26 am
Old Jan 6, 2017, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by airsurfer
Gopro Hero 5 Black ? For daylight it is nice, but night lapses are horrible. No wonder as the sensor is very small. And despite better technologies and software, laws of physics do not allow an equal image quality in low light with a small or large sensor.

I set the 6d to every 20 seconds an exposure at 15 seconds at ISO 6400, WB 4000K, and mounted the Samyang 14 on it which has just a slightly larger FOV than the Hero 5 in rectilinear mode.

The Hero 5 to Nightlapse Photo, 20 seconds interval, automatic exposure (which will be close to 20 seconds) and the result is very very dark, compared to a nice moving starry sky with the 6d.

Now I repeated (despite the partly cloudy sky) with exactly the same settings as the 6d: interval 20s and exposure 15s.

That video (short, a few seconds) is reasonable, despite it does not match DSLR quality. The images are not boosted, this isj the original exposure.

So hope raises to make nightlapses in full flight. Pasting the Gopro to the aircraft window and let it run ....
Depends on what you're after and expectations. For snapshots and casual shooting I'm happy with the GoPro.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 6:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Personal Travel - Sony a7r
Work - Pair of 1Dx and a slew of lenses.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by glennaa11
I downsized from Nikon to Olympus m4/3 for my travels. Best decision I ever made.
Similar situation here with micro four thirds. Panasonic GM5.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:13 pm

Programs: MP
Originally Posted by airsurfer

That video (short, a few seconds) is reasonable, despite it does not match DSLR quality. The images are not boosted, this is the original exposure.

Do you have sample of GoPro 5 stills during the day? Also, do GoPro allow capturing in RAW format?
Old Jan 20, 2017, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by pon18n
Also, do GoPro allow capturing in RAW format?
The 5 will shoot RAW but it's a pretty small file.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 8:10 pm

Programs: A3 *G, HH Gold
Nikon D750 vs a Nikon Coolpix A for me. Bring the D750 when travelling heavier (aka check-on) and the Coolpix when traveling lighter. It's also great in that it's still APS-C, has the exact same control layout as the other Semi-pro Nikon DSLRs and looks like a normal point and shoot so it's way less conspicuous.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 9:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
You check in your DSLR?
Old Jan 20, 2017, 9:52 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by wco81
You check in your DSLR?
Oh Lord, I hope not.

Perhaps he means he has more room in carry-on for camera gear due to packing most other stuff in checked bags.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 10:00 pm

Programs: MP
Originally Posted by wco81
You check in your DSLR?
Dear God no.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 1:38 am

Programs: A3 *G, HH Gold
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Oh Lord, I hope not.

Perhaps he means he has more room in carry-on for camera gear due to packing most other stuff in checked bags.
This, if I take my DSLR gear, that's basically most of my carry-on gone. I'll put extra stuff like tripods and what not in the Check-in though.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 8:20 am
Original Poster

hey guys...good conversations going on here.

i am leaning to bring the nex5, oem kit lens, and the 55-210 mini-bazooka with me, along with the 3 batteries, and the smallest/lightest laptop i have at home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.