Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

Can a suction cup pasted safely on aircraft window ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2016, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

I have a Gopro with a suction cup which works nicely. When disengaging from any flat surface however is goed a bit tightly, of course I released the lever.
Can this harm the (inner) aircraft window as these are made of just transparent plastic ?
Old Nov 20, 2016, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by airsurfer
I have a Gopro with a suction cup which works nicely. When disengaging from any flat surface however is goed a bit tightly, of course I released the lever.
Can this harm the (inner) aircraft window as these are made of just transparent plastic ?
I do it a lot. never had an issue, I just pry it off slowly. Even on the flight deck, the pilots have no problem attaching/detaching.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 2:46 pm

legality of suction cup phone mounts on windows

i am tempted to bring a car windshield suction cup type iphone mount and use that when i want to film the view out the windows of an aircraft.

is this a violation of any faa code?

what if its attached to the frame instead of the window pane itself?
Old Nov 21, 2016, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by ramondelapaz
i am tempted to bring a car windshield suction cup type iphone mount and use that when i want to film the view out the windows of an aircraft.

is this a violation of any faa code?

what if its attached to the frame instead of the window pane itself?
No violation AFAIK. I've done it and never had a problem. You might want to clear it with a flight supervisor in case an ignorant FA thinks you're up to no good. I don't think the suction will work on the frame since it tends to be porous and not flat.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 5:31 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
The FAA only regulates major alterations, this is crystal clear in their answer to the external variant of this question as found on http://www.avweb.com/blogs/insider/FAA-camera-memo.php

Major alteration means an alteration not listed in the aircraft, aircraft engine, or propeller specifications -
(1) That might appreciably affect weight, balance, structural strength, performance, powerplant operation, flight characteristics, or other qualities affecting airworthiness; or
(2) That is not done according to accepted practices or cannot be done by elementary operations.

So it's not that. If staff wants to overract then the removal can be shoehorned with a lot of imagination into 18 U.S.C. § 32 : US Code - Section 32: Destruction of aircraft or aircraft facilities. "if such placing or causing to be placed or such making or causing to be made is likely to endanger the safety of any such aircraf" -- if someone thinks you are trying to destroy the inner part of the windows then yeah, it's against the law (surprise!) but it really requires bending reality.

Last edited by chx1975; Nov 24, 2016 at 5:36 am
Old Nov 29, 2016, 12:37 am

Programs: MP
I really doubt a tiny suction cup would do anything to the airplane window.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 1:14 am

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by pon18n
I really doubt a tiny suction cup would do anything to the airplane window.
And if it would, it speaks volumes about aircraft durability and safety.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 3:17 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
The only time I would not use the suction cup is if I am seated in the exit row / emergency exit and any attachment may block the window and what can be seen outside. I am pretty sure any flight crew would ask for it to be removed in those instances anyway.

That said, I tried my first time take-off lapse on my SYD-JNB flight earlier this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.