Impact Damage

Old Aug 30, 2016, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan / Airmiles
Impact Damage

Well, that's what i get for putting my camera backpack into my checked luggage. A few days after returning from Europe I went to change lenses on my camera and was shocked to see that my 24 -105mm Sigma was coming apart. Took it to the store where I bought it, and they sent it to Sigma for repair. Just had a phone call to tell me there was impact damage to the lens and it will cost $300 to repair it. From now on everything that I take with me on flights will be carry-on.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 2:10 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
That was an expensive lesson. Sorry to hear it.

For others, tripods and other "tough" gear can go in checked luggage but camera bodies and lenses should always go in the cabin with you.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
That was an expensive lesson. Sorry to hear it.

For others, tripods and other "tough" gear can go in checked luggage but camera bodies and lenses should always go in the cabin with you.
I totally agree as not only can they be damaged but also stolen if you put them in checked luggage. Just consider them "precious cargo"! @:-)
Old Aug 30, 2016, 3:14 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

My camera equipment never leaves my side and it's consider my personal item as carry-on. I also have insurance on it just in case.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 7:01 am

Ever watch how they stack the luggage carts? I'm sure your damage was crush damage because your bag was on the bottom. I'd venture to say bags are heavier than ever these days, not to mention cargo that can be mixed in.

A lesson for all of us. Not sure I'd trust a tripod either, but what can you do?
Old Sep 5, 2016, 4:45 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by klevin99
Ever watch how they stack the luggage carts? I'm sure your damage was crush damage because your bag was on the bottom. I'd venture to say bags are heavier than ever these days, not to mention cargo that can be mixed in.

A lesson for all of us. Not sure I'd trust a tripod either, but what can you do?
I'm perplexed why you would think that bags are heavier these days. INLE, enforcement of overweight bags has been increasing yearly. Do you have data that there are a greater proportion of overweight bags over the time period you are considering?
Old Sep 5, 2016, 8:50 am

Programs: none
[QUOTE=Beven12S;27167065]I'm perplexed why you would think that bags are heavier these days. INLE, enforcement of overweight bags has been increasing yearly. Do you have data that there are a greater proportion of overweight bags over the time period you are considering?[/QUOTE

This FT. You don't need support for your conclusions.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by klevin99

Originally Posted by Beven12S
I'm perplexed why you would think that bags are heavier these days. INLE, enforcement of overweight bags has been increasing yearly. Do you have data that there are a greater proportion of overweight bags over the time period you are considering?
[QUOTE=Allan38103;27167828]
Originally Posted by Beven12S
I'm perplexed why you would think that bags are heavier these days. INLE, enforcement of overweight bags has been increasing yearly. Do you have data that there are a greater proportion of overweight bags over the time period you are considering?[/QUOTE

This FT. You don't need support for your conclusions.
IMHO we are veering OT with this luggage weight discussion. There is only one rule we should all follow when flying with our personal camera equipment and that is NOT to check it.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 8:37 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
[QUOTE=RSSrsvp;27177411]
Originally Posted by Allan38103

IMHO we are veering OT with this luggage weight discussion. There is only one rule we should all follow when flying with our personal camera equipment and that is NOT to check it.
Ignoring the potential damage issue. Why would one check an expensive and easily stolen piece of equipment?
Old Sep 15, 2016, 9:35 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I've heard that the TSA can be touchy about tripods that have pointy ends once any rubber feet are removed. So it goes into the checked bag well cushioned by clothing. Not an insanely expensive tripod, and seems sturdy so it's okay.

The Spousal Unit's full camera back and lens kit us always in view or one or both of us while on trips though.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 8:35 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Never ever check any camera gear. If you do open the bag and test every single thing right there. If you have a problem immediately go to baggage services.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
Never ever check any camera gear. If you do open the bag and test every single thing right there. If you have a problem immediately go to baggage services.
Why go to baggage services? They're just going to tell you you shouldn't have checked it.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Correct me if I am wrong but most airlines have a disclaimer saying packed electronic gear is excluded and they are not responsible?
Old Sep 21, 2016, 7:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Given liberal cabin bag allowances, there simply should be no issue about items such as camera bodies and lenses.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 9:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Why go to baggage services? They're just going to tell you you shouldn't have checked it.
Atleast report it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.