Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

Looking for a new camera

Looking for a new camera

Old Aug 9, 2016, 1:09 am
Original Poster

Looking for a new camera

Looking for a new camera for upcoming travels. My NEX 5N is starting to show its age after 4+ years and its time to get something new. I used to have DSLRs and now will not go shooting with them during travels. They are just too big. I am currently looking at mirrorless APS-C or M43.

I need a flip out screen for selfie mode. A good standard zoom and a good tele is a must. I am currently looking at Panasonic GM8 with the 12-35mm 2.8. Is there anything else I should be looking at?
Old Aug 9, 2016, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by sigma6
Looking for a new camera for upcoming travels. My NEX 5N is starting to show its age after 4+ years and its time to get something new. I used to have DSLRs and now will not go shooting with them during travels. They are just too big. I am currently looking at mirrorless APS-C or M43.

I need a flip out screen for selfie mode. A good standard zoom and a good tele is a must. I am currently looking at Panasonic GM8 with the 12-35mm 2.8. Is there anything else I should be looking at?
Panasonic Lumix GX8, GX85 or Sony A6300, you can keep the 5N lenses if you do stick with the Sony (it doesn't have a flip out screen - it only articulates though).
Old Aug 9, 2016, 8:26 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
I too have put down my DSLR with its ginormous zoom (needed it for safaris) for fear of needing a neck brace and am awaiting the arrival (in two days) of a Panasonic DMC-FZ1000. It's a little bigger than the cameras you mentioned, but the capabilities are pretty amazing, from the big sensor to 4K video. I've had older models of the Lumix line and have found the lenses and ergonomics to be terrific, and I'm looking forward to taking the new one out for a spin. My neck and shoulders are already celebrating.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 9:20 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I can not recommend the Samsung Galaxy family of cameras enough! I have had or used the Galaxy Camera, The NX 110 and NX 30. Loved them all.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 1:26 pm

If you're looking APS-C mirrorless check out the Fuji X-T10 or X-T1.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
You should also consider either the Olympus Pen F (rangerfinder body) and E-M5 Mark ll (weather proof). They both have a fully articulating screen which was on your wish list to take selfies. Also in the m4/3 format the lenses from Panasonic and Olympus are interchangeable on the bodies of both brands. Therefore you will find a very large selection of glass to select from and all price points. @:-)

PS, I strongly considered the Sony a6000 and a6300 but after doing a great deal of research purchased the E-M5 Mark ll and absolutely love using it!!! ^
Old Aug 11, 2016, 12:21 am

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
PS, I strongly considered the Sony a6000 and a6300 but after doing a great deal of research purchased the E-M5 Mark ll and absolutely love using it!!! ^
What pushed you towards the Olympus?
Old Aug 11, 2016, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dimramon
What pushed you towards the Olympus?
A few major reasons, I was really fixated on the exceptional auto focus of the a6300 and all of the great reviews it was receiving. Then I started reading the Sony forum on dpreview.com and there were many threads concerning the cost of good lenses and the limited selection that was available. Also I don't care about 4k video which the Sony has so that was a non issue.
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/1042

These are some of the reasons why I changed my search and decided on Olympus.
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/1041

My Olympus E-M5 Mark ll body is weatherproof. ^
It has a 5 axis IBIS that is superior to the Sony a6000 & a6300. ^
It has a touch screen. ^
The screen itself is fully articulating which is something I wanted.
Focus Bracketing ^
40 Megapixel High Res Shot Mode ^^
The Olympus has a SLR type body vs. the rangefinder style of the Sony. @:-)
I rarely shoot raw and Olympus is known for their fabulous jpegs!!! ^

Another major factor is that Panasonic and Olympus are partners in the Micro Four Thirds technology and their lenses are interchangeable between the two brands. Therefore there is an extremely large selection of lenses (some are weather proof) at many different price points to choose from and this blows away what you can purchase for the two Sony bodies.

Finally, for the most part the size of the lenses are smaller with m4/3 which does make a difference.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 7:31 am

I too have a nex5 - hope it lasts another 3-5 years atleast.....it's a workhorse, yes....but for easy use/size factor....its better than the dslr (canon 7d) that I have.

keep us informed.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 8:45 am

Micro Four thirds will keep your total size and weigh of package to a minimum. I'd go in that direction.

The Panasonic GX8 is one approach. But bear in mind that the Panasonic GF7 is even smaller and lighter if you must "selfie" and dont need the EVF.

There is also the GX7 which is not the "latest" model, but has still a very current sensor with same image quality.

But will be cheaper and smaller than the GX8.

For the lens, one approach to keep lens package size down could be use a good prime like the 20mm f1.7 or 25mm f 1.4, which are best sharpness but very flexible in useage - and match that to a zoom like the 35-100 f2.8 or 35-100 f4-5.6 or even the 14-140.

I have used the 25mm f1.4 as a "walkabout" lens on the GM1 and it is really impressive.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 8:46 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
I saw this online this morning...like a DSLR camera but attaches to your phone.

https://luxhd450.com/ss8/index.php?A...3&SID=NEWPAGE3

I haven't seen any reviews of it, but if it works as it says, it would be a great space saver.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 7:22 am

Programs: *G
the Olympus EM1 is really well priced right now at 800/900 USD. Its on a sale to clear the way for upcoming EM2 announcement...except theres nothing hinted in the EM2 that makes it a compelling upgrade. So while the EM1 is a bit old, relatively speaking (if youre a serial gear hog), its sensor, ergonomics, features, are all IMO top notch.

Sold with the 12-40/2.8 pro zoom for 1250$ on amazon
Old Aug 18, 2016, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deniah
the Olympus EM1 is really well priced right now at 800/900 USD. Its on a sale to clear the way for upcoming EM2 announcement...except theres nothing hinted in the EM2 that makes it a compelling upgrade. So while the EM1 is a bit old, relatively speaking (if youre a serial gear hog), its sensor, ergonomics, features, are all IMO top notch.

Sold with the 12-40/2.8 pro zoom for 1250$ on amazon
Olympus USA had a 1 day flash sale on Aug. 15 where they were selling the E-M1 for only $799. Also if you bundled the 12-40mm f2.8 Pro lens which retails at $999 was discounted by $300 so there was a $600 savings in total. Currently the E-M1 is selling on the Olympus USA site for $899 and the 12-40mm f2.8 Pro lens for $799.

The new E-M1 Mark ll will be announced on Sept. 19 and if the rumors are correct it will have some major improvements over its predecessor which IMHO would make it a compelling upgrade. Don't forget that Olympus released the E-M1 body 3 years ago and I have no doubt that they will definitely up the ante to stay competitive with Sony, Fuji and Panasonic.

http://www.43rumors.com/ft3-new-olym...-pen-f-sensor/

Also please show us the link for the $1250 price for the Amazon bundle as I have never seen that combination sold at such a low price.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 5:05 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
Olympus USA had a 1 day flash sale on Aug. 15 where they were selling the E-M1 for only $799. Also if you bundled the 12-40mm f2.8 Pro lens which retails at $999 was discounted by $300 so there was a $600 savings in total. Currently the E-M1 is selling on the Olympus USA site for $899 and the 12-40mm f2.8 Pro lens for $799.

The new E-M1 Mark ll will be announced on Sept. 19 and if the rumors are correct it will have some major improvements over its predecessor which IMHO would make it a compelling upgrade. Don't forget that Olympus released the E-M1 body 3 years ago and I have no doubt that they will definitely up the ante to stay competitive with Sony, Fuji and Panasonic.

http://www.43rumors.com/ft3-new-olym...-pen-f-sensor/

Also please show us the link for the $1250 price for the Amazon bundle as I have never seen that combination sold at such a low price.
gray market

https://www.amazon.com/Olympus-OM-D-...ds=olympus+em1

mines taken a lot of abuse, with cosmetic damage, so im anticipating a new one, with the only wishlist being a sony ~24mp backlit sensor to give a 1 or 1.5 stop low light advantage..... but that doesnt seem to be the case:

20mp sensor. likely the same as in recent m43 cams? marginal improvement.. extra 400 pixels per edge.. not compelling

4k video. great for producing videos. not my field however

dual sd card. for working pros, an essential. not really for amateurs

handheld high res mode. meh

improved autofocus. the current one is already so so good at S-AF. good C-AF especially with Tracking would be cool.

high res EVF. personal opinion EM1 already sport the best EVF in the biz... prefer it to Fuji and Sony.

improved IS? already a godly-good IS system

its just that i think existing camera is soooo versatile, mature, and excellent that the marginal gains might be offset by risk of a redesign that takes away the what was already good about existing cam, like ergonomics. basically, if i had to design an imaginary mark 2 from scratch, i actually wouldnt know what to change, except the aforementioned sensor and maybe working tracking focus
Old Aug 19, 2016, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deniah
gray market

https://www.amazon.com/Olympus-OM-D-...ds=olympus+em1

mines taken a lot of abuse, with cosmetic damage, so im anticipating a new one, with the only wishlist being a sony ~24mp backlit sensor to give a 1 or 1.5 stop low light advantage..... but that doesnt seem to be the case:

20mp sensor. likely the same as in recent m43 cams? marginal improvement.. extra 400 pixels per edge.. not compelling

4k video. great for producing videos. not my field however

dual sd card. for working pros, an essential. not really for amateurs

handheld high res mode. meh

improved autofocus. the current one is already so so good at S-AF. good C-AF especially with Tracking would be cool.

high res EVF. personal opinion EM1 already sport the best EVF in the biz... prefer it to Fuji and Sony.

improved IS? already a godly-good IS system

its just that i think existing camera is soooo versatile, mature, and excellent that the marginal gains might be offset by risk of a redesign that takes away the what was already good about existing cam, like ergonomics. basically, if i had to design an imaginary mark 2 from scratch, i actually wouldnt know what to change, except the aforementioned sensor and maybe working tracking focus
The link you provided was for a used in good condition gray market bundle. Most people here in the US would opt for something with a US warranty or if buying used from a reputable company like Adorama, B&H or KEH a reasonable limited warranty on the used items with a 30 day return policy.

The new Mark ll is definitely going to have a much improved PDAF as Olympus has to keep up with their competition, Sony, Fuji and Panasonic and also hope to steal some customers away from Nikon and Canon who are tired of carrying those heavy body/ lens combinations and move over to a solid performer with a much smaller size and weight combination.

There are many rumors from highly respected sources that say the new sensor (possibly stacked) is designed by Olympus and made by Sony now that their factories are back running from the earthquake. The reports say that the new sensor will be considerably faster than the 20mp one in the Pen-F.

The E-M5 Mark ll and the Pen-F have their latest IBIS and both are superior to the original E-M1. I have the E-M5 Mark ll and love using it because of the IBIS. If Olympus improves the IBIS on what they are making now in the new E-M1 Mark ll that would be a major selling point to many.

They already have the hi res mode in the E-M5 Mark ll which people love and that will definitely be in the E-M1 Mark ll body.

If they add 4k video they will lure back customers who want a m4/3 system and had switched over to Panasonic for that particular feature. Olympus is not known for pushing video like Panasonic but they know it is an important selling point to many. I personally don't care about 4k video but may change my tune now that I have a new grandchild.

The list of what they can add to the new E-M 1 Mark ll body goes on and on but Olympus is known for really pushing the limit when they bring out a new body like this so stay tuned until the announcement next month. ^^^

PS, if your heart is set on the original body the prices on it will drop even further when the new one is released. @:-)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.