Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

Looking for a new camera

Looking for a new camera

Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:23 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
The link you provided was for a used in good condition gray market bundle. Most people here in the US would opt for something with a US warranty or if buying used from a reputable company like Adorama, B&H or KEH a reasonable limited warranty on the used items with a 30 day return policy.
That price is for NEW, gray market combo, fulfilled through amazon. (Looks like now its available @ 1220. The used sets on the same listing are going for 1100. If buying something like this , gray market, i would also look for a vendor-supported warranty, or atleast buy it with a flexible credit card with some sort of purchase protection. I've had to send a few olympus items for repairs
Old Aug 19, 2016, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by michalis
Panasonic Lumix GX8, GX85 or Sony A6300, you can keep the 5N lenses if you do stick with the Sony (it doesn't have a flip out screen - it only articulates though).
If the lack of the selfie screen isn't a dealbreaker, I wouldn't rule out the A6000. It's still a nice upgrade over the NEX-5 and it's a very, very good deal.

The A6300 is unquestionably even better, but I'm not 100% sure it's worth the price premium as long as the A6000 is still available and ~$400 cheaper.

I like my EOS M3, it does have the selfie screen -- it's a flawed camera, but it's a very inexpensive way to get an advanced-amateur APS-C mirrorless camera with a great image sensor. The two main down sides:
* slow focus -- not as horribly slow as on the original EOS M, but slow enough to be annoying all the same.
* really, really limited native (EF-M) lens selection. The ability to use regular EF-S and EF lenses makes up for this if you've also got other Canon DSLR lenses but would make no sense to buy them purely for mirrorless use.

Secret tip: at least at B&H, the "$189.99" electronic viewfinder is MUCH cheaper if you order it at the same time as a camera body or camera body and lens combo. When I ordered mine (body only) last year, it was a $160 discount ($29.99 total)... at present, it's a $199 package discount -- that is to say, not only is the EVF free, you actually save $10 on the camera body or body/lens combo by ordering the EVF.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by deniah
That price is for NEW, gray market combo, fulfilled through amazon. (Looks like now its available @ 1220. The used sets on the same listing are going for 1100. If buying something like this , gray market, i would also look for a vendor-supported warranty, or atleast buy it with a flexible credit card with some sort of purchase protection. I've had to send a few olympus items for repairs
I for one stay away from gray market cameras and lenses as I have read about too many issues. I would sooner purchase a used lens from Adorama, B&H or KEH that comes with a rock solid 30 day return policy and an extended warranty. I also would consider a reconditioned lens or body sold directly by Olympus if the price was low enough and then purchase an extended warranty directly from them for the item.

The only thing gray in my kit is my hair color!
Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:51 pm

Programs: Delta PM
I would second the Fuji recommendation. I have the xt1, a gorgeous solid camera. Xt2 is already out, so you might also consider that too, lenses and image quality better than my mid range canon dslr/ L lenses.. Going mirrorless still means big enough to not fit in pocket. I find for my casual travel, I grab an even smaller camera, the sony rx100, that can truly fit in my jeans pocket.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.