Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

Any tips for taking a tripod as a carry-on?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2016, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan / Airmiles

I did a search and nothing came up.
I have a small tripod in a bag and I'm hoping to take it with me as a carry-on.
Have any of you photographers had any problems with a tripod? Are they allowed as carry-ons?
Old Aug 8, 2016, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
I carried my mini-tripod (an older version of this: http://www.slik.com/CMS-COMPACT_II.html) on this past weekend to/from Europe. No issue.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 12:57 pm

probably depends on the size of tripod, and TSA agent's mood (if you're in the states)

on the USA side, tripods aren't explicitly excluded as a carryon item, but some TSA agents might claim it can be used as a weapon and not allow you to bring it as a carryon.

YMMV

https://travelersunited.org/columns/...lines-updated/

i've brought my mini magnetic gorillapod in my bag, no issues

it's tiny though, only for my P&S: http://joby.com/gorillapod/gorillapod-magnetic
Old Aug 8, 2016, 1:22 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Mine folds up small enough to fit in the rollaboard so it rides there. Cameras and lenses go in a small backpack that fits under the seat in front of me. I have had security ask me to open my bag so they can see what the tripod is but never been refused passage. I suspect the folded tripod looks like something else on an x-ray.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 3:31 am

I carry three tripods with me in my carry-on bag and a handheld gimbal usually.
I even mount the larger of the tripods externally on my bag (using my backpack's molle and some bungee cord)

Never ever had an issue or even questioned about it.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 4:43 am

Programs: Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 24karat
I did a search and nothing came up.
I have a small tripod in a bag and I'm hoping to take it with me as a carry-on.
Have any of you photographers had any problems with a tripod? Are they allowed as carry-ons?
Why would you want to take a tripod as a CARRY ON? Cameras, lenses, memory cards, yes, but tripods are pretty tough and not likely to be damaged if packed in with your checked luggage. I have taken a small MeFoto tripod (in the case provided) in my checked luggage a number of times without loss or damage.

I've seen other posts with similar questions and just have to wonder why.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by walttom
Why would you want to take a tripod as a CARRY ON? Cameras, lenses, memory cards, yes, but tripods are pretty tough and not likely to be damaged if packed in with your checked luggage. I have taken a small MeFoto tripod (in the case provided) in my checked luggage a number of times without loss or damage.

I've seen other posts with similar questions and just have to wonder why.
Not sure about the OP but for me is because I can have all my camera gear in my backpack ready without having to unpack my suitcase and repack my backpack.

Also for weekend trips my backpack can be my only bag so I get no choice to check it in even if I wanted.

I usually check the tripod in on my return flight, when trying to offload extra weight from the backpack where I don't care for having it immediately accessible.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 7:44 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by walttom
Why would you want to take a tripod as a CARRY ON? ... ... I've seen other posts with similar questions and just have to wonder why.
Many of us never check bags. Ever. For a variety of reasons that have been discussed to death here on FT.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Getting a full-size tripod into checked luggage isn't that easy. Having stooped over for many years, a requirement for my last purchase was putting the viewfinder at eye level for someone who is 6'2" without extending the center column. That puts the fully collapsed length at 24+ inches or so, at best. Add a head to it (I don't want to unlock/remove every trip), and you're at a pretty sizeable piece of hardware. I can fit it in my luggage diagonally, barely, but it takes up a fair bit of packing space.

I only check luggage when traveling with family, so we have 4 carry-on + 4 personal items available, so it's a lot easier just to carry it on.

If you're just carrying a mini/tabletop, it's a very different issue.

I've never had a problem, even with my sizeable one.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan / Airmiles
I've booked a trip that will involve five flights. That means every checked bag will cost
$25 per flight. Anyway, I've solved the problem. I bought a Samsonite backpack carry-on bag with wheels, and I bought a Milano travel tripod at London Drug. The tripod is quite nifty. It's a full-size sturdy tripod that folds to about 15 inches for travel., and it has a good quick-release. It easily fits into the carry-on bag.

Last edited by 24karat; Aug 11, 2016 at 3:00 pm
Old Aug 11, 2016, 5:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I've traveled with one as part of my carry-on kit for more than a decade. Only once was I asked to check it rather than being allowed to carry it on. That was ~10 years ago in Turkey, and I had it in my carry-on for the outbound portion of that domestic trip; only on the return did I have to check it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.