Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

What primes to rent for A7RII?

Old Jul 12, 2016, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond

I just sold off my 6D and picked up an A7RII. I'll have a metabones adapter to use my 24-70 f/2.8L II with, but I wanted to rent one or 2 Sony FE primes. I was thinking about the 28 f/2 or the 35 f/1.4.

Any thoughts from experienced shooters? I'll be in Singapore/HK/Tokyo/Seoul. The other reason for a faster prime is for some in cabin shots on the plane without having to crank my ISO.

Thanks!
Old Jul 12, 2016, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
Crank that ISO! You'll love the low-light performance. 28/2 isn't a great lens but if you need something wide then it's ok I guess. 35/1.4 should be sublime, 85mm batis or 85GM1.4 are amazing lenses.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by chongl
I just sold off my 6D and picked up an A7RII. I'll have a metabones adapter to use my 24-70 f/2.8L II with, but I wanted to rent one or 2 Sony FE primes. I was thinking about the 28 f/2 or the 35 f/1.4.

Any thoughts from experienced shooters? I'll be in Singapore/HK/Tokyo/Seoul. The other reason for a faster prime is for some in cabin shots on the plane without having to crank my ISO.

Thanks!
I do not have a full frame Sony (only have a Sony APS-C model) but I would agree...Crank that ISO. Full frame camera at f2.8 will be just fine for cabin shots. Even at 6400 ISO you will get great results with the A7RII.

When travelling I would take any zoom lens over any prime.
Depending on what you are planning to shoot I would take a wide zoom i.e (Sony FE 16-35mm f/4 ZA OSS Lens) and/or a tele zoom (Sony FE 70-200mm f/4 G OSS Lens).
Old Jul 25, 2016, 5:18 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
I'd take a 35mm or 50mm for street photography. I think 28mm is one of those things not wide enough for landscape and not zoomed enough for street.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Thanks guys...I decided on the 35mm f/1.4 for the trip
Old Aug 2, 2016, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
chongl this camera and photography is so far out of my league - but I am REALLY excited to see what you shoot. Maybe another TR in the future??
Old Aug 3, 2016, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Yes, another trip report will be coming next week . I leave on the 11th from LAX, and as usual, I'll be posting updates during my trip. I might slow the pace down so I don't feel as rushed to edit at night when I really just want to relax.

However, I'm still very much a low level amateur with good gear (to make up for my own deficiencies and shooting ability)
Old Aug 4, 2016, 10:37 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by chongl
Yes, another trip report will be coming next week . I leave on the 11th from LAX...
^^^. Cool! Where are "we" going?
Old Sep 6, 2016, 10:25 am

Quick question guys: Has anyone ever used the Sony Lenses on their A7r2 and how does it compare with the Canon EF lenses?

Is there an advantage to staying onto Sony's native system?
Old Sep 6, 2016, 8:57 pm

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by Calvin Chong
Quick question guys: Has anyone ever used the Sony Lenses on their A7r2 and how does it compare with the Canon EF lenses?

There is. There's a noticeable degradation in sharpness esp in corners when using any sort of adaptive compared to the native mount. If you can get a Sony equivalent (G master) then use those ones.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by CitizenWorld
There is. There's a noticeable degradation in sharpness esp in corners when using any sort of adaptive compared to the native mount. If you can get a Sony equivalent (G master) then use those ones.
Awesome, thanks for the reply! Would this be something that's worth renting if I didn't have the Sony equivalent?

Also, how do you feel about the differences between the g-master and the Zeiss series?
Old Sep 9, 2016, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Calvin Chong

Originally Posted by CitizenWorld
Do you have a cite for "noticeable degradation in sharpness" when using the Sony LA-EA3 A-Mount Adapter as I have not heard that to be the case?

Calvin, I would recommend looking at the Dyxum lens database to help you in your decision about which lens to acquire.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.