Reload this Page >

Panasonic GM1 need lens recommendation

Old Jul 1, 2016, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat

Was looking at getting a extra lens for some safari shots. Don't want to buy a new camera or spend too much on a new lens. Tried to do some research but there are way too many options and I am not that savvy on camera stuff. Wanted a good point and shoot that will help me get some good close up shots.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Was thinking about this one
Old Jul 1, 2016, 5:51 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
That lens is a classic inexpensive tele for m4/3. It has the advantage of being quite inexpensive but for a safari it might be a bit limited. For a really limited budget, it is probably your best choice.

If the cost isn't a major factor, I might recommend something longer, like the PL 100-300 mm. I use mine for outdoor sports and it works quite nicely to bring things closer.

https://www.amazon.com/PANASONIC-100.../dp/B0043VE28S
Old Jul 2, 2016, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Cost is a factor as to be honest 99% of the time I use my iPhone for daily pics. Just need something for 7 days and after that I am sure it will be back in the cupboard till the next time.

So that is a good choice? Its light and cheap but offers good quality pics.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by onlysuites
... Its light and cheap but offers good quality pics.
Yes. Light, cheap and adequate image quality.

To a degree, you get what you pay for and pro quality lenses will carry pro quality prices but the Oly 40-150 mm offers a good compromise of price and quality.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Yes. Light, cheap and adequate image quality.

To a degree, you get what you pay for and pro quality lenses will carry pro quality prices but the Oly 40-150 mm offers a good compromise of price and quality.
^
Old Jul 2, 2016, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
RENT?
Old Jul 2, 2016, 4:45 pm
Suspended

Since the GM1 lacks in-body stabilization, you should get one of the Panasonic tele zooms that has image stabilization. The one I use is the Panasonic 45-175mm. the Panasonic 45-150 is also good, and somewhat cheaper.

Specifically for the purposes of shooting wildlife at great distances, you might also want to get an inexpensive, but good, front-mounted teleconverter for it, that just happen to work great. The Olympus C-180, which is a 1.7x converter, and Olympus C-210, which is a 1.9x converter, each work shockingly well on all of these zoom lenses, and they are dirt cheap (like $30-40 on ebay).

You will also need a filter step ring, which ring depends upon which lens you are using.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OLYMPUS-IS-L...IAAOSweW5VTOL-
Old Jul 3, 2016, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by lhgreengrd1
Since the GM1 lacks in-body stabilization, you should get one of the Panasonic tele zooms that has image stabilization. ...
Yeah, you are right. As one who spent the first 30 years of my career with no IS at all, and who now leaves it off on the tripod, I often don't think about it.

Of the PL lenses available in that range, I think I'd look at the 45-200mm for this purpose but it is about $100 more than the 45-150mm. Buying used might make up for that if the lens is unlikely to see much use after the safari.

OP, if you can find a Panasonic Lumix Vario lens in the same length and general price range, it would make a better addition to your kit than the Oly. The Oly 'may' be a tad sharper and a little cheaper but you would benefit from Image Stabilization which would make up for any slight image quality differences. Sorry I might have given you a bit of a bum steer at the beginning.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Ordered the Olympus one all ready. Oh well. I am sure it will be decent enough.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 10:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Yeah, you are right. As one who spent the first 30 years of my career with no IS at all, and who now leaves it off on the tripod, I often don't think about it.

Of the PL lenses available in that range, I think I'd look at the 45-200mm for this purpose but it is about $100 more than the 45-150mm. Buying used might make up for that if the lens is unlikely to see much use after the safari.

OP, if you can find a Panasonic Lumix Vario lens in the same length and general price range, it would make a better addition to your kit than the Oly. The Oly 'may' be a tad sharper and a little cheaper but you would benefit from Image Stabilization which would make up for any slight image quality differences. Sorry I might have given you a bit of a bum steer at the beginning.
The 45-200 is a big, bulky lens that sort of defeats the purpose of the GM1, and it's soft at the 200 end, defeating the advantage of the added length. I've owned both the 45-150 and the 45-175 Panasonic lenses. They are optically equivalent to one another, but I prefer the mechanical features of the 45-175, including the power zoom and the internal focusing, so that was the one I kept. I also would re-itterate, that both of these lenses work extremely well with the cheap, older, front mounted Olympus 1.7x and 1.9x HQ teleconverters, the IS/L C-180 and IS/L C-210. They end up being smaller and cheaper than the 45-200 lens, and are actually sharper at the long end with one of those TCs.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by lhgreengrd1
The 45-200 is a big, bulky lens that sort of defeats the purpose of the GM1, and it's soft at the 200 end, ...
So be it. I should stick with Oly recos. I actually know what I am talking about there.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 4:03 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Panasonic 35-100 (cheap version) - perfect for the GM1, and stabilised.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Got the Olympus 40-150. I now see what all the fuss is about in regards to picking one with stabilisation. Too late to get another one.

Any tips on how to get the best out of this one in regards to holding it still enough?
Old Jul 6, 2016, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by onlysuites
Got the Olympus 40-150. I now see what all the fuss is about in regards to picking one with stabilisation. Too late to get another one.

Any tips on how to get the best out of this one in regards to holding it still enough?
Crank up the ISO to increase shutter speed. With that lens, you want the shutter no slower than 1/300, - 1/500 or 1/1000 is better. Use a tripod when you can. When hand-holding, use good h/h technique and lean against something when possible - tree, vehicle, whatever you can find. Left hand under the lens barrel, supporting the weight, left elbow pressed tightly against body. Press shutter release gently and smoothly, don't jab at it.

https://photographylife.com/tips-on-...lephoto-lenses

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.