Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

Panasonic GM1 need lens recommendation

Panasonic GM1 need lens recommendation

Old Jul 6, 2016, 4:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Boost the ISO. The ISO performance of the GM1 is fine. Look at raw files in a package that has a proper profile for the camera (the software that comes with it, for example) and there's not a great deal of difference between ISO 200 and ISO 800 in good light.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Crank up the ISO to increase shutter speed. With that lens, you want the shutter no slower than 1/300, - 1/500 or 1/1000 is better. Use a tripod when you can. When hand-holding, use good h/h technique and lean against something when possible - tree, vehicle, whatever you can find. Left hand under the lens barrel, supporting the weight, left elbow pressed tightly against body. Press shutter release gently and smoothly, don't jab at it.

https://photographylife.com/tips-on-...lephoto-lenses
Originally Posted by Internaut
Boost the ISO. The ISO performance of the GM1 is fine. Look at raw files in a package that has a proper profile for the camera (the software that comes with it, for example) and there's not a great deal of difference between ISO 200 and ISO 800 in good light.

^
Old Jul 7, 2016, 4:57 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Here's a couple of ISO 800 shots from me, processed in SilkyPix.

[IMG]
What if?
by Jason Hindle, on Flickr[/IMG]

P1000744
by Jason Hindle, on Flickr

When shooting long, be conservative. With good stabilisation, I find I can get crazy low shutter speeds. When shooting long, I go for the fastest shutter I can get.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thank you FT'ers.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Used the Olympus 40-150 for my recent trip. Worked really well and ticked all the boxes for me. It was light and had the perfect zoom.

But it broke after only 9 days of use. The part which clips onto the camera body broke off from the lens side. Is this something Olympus might fix?
Old Jul 22, 2016, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Ok forget about if Olympus will fix it. I am sold on this type of lens. I want better. Budget is around 200-300.

Can you good people please suggest some? Only thing I didn't like about this lens was the close up zoom was sometimes a little too close for group photos.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 10:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by onlysuites
Ok forget about if Olympus will fix it. I am sold on this type of lens. I want better. Budget is around 200-300.

Can you good people please suggest some? Only thing I didn't like about this lens was the close up zoom was sometimes a little too close for group photos.
I'll recommend the same lens I recommended the last time. The Panasonic 45-175mm f4~5.6
Old Jul 25, 2016, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lhgreengrd1
I'll recommend the same lens I recommended the last time. The Panasonic 45-175mm f4~5.6
This one? I feel the zoom maybe too much on this which will spoil basic landscape photos? Ideally now I need my lens for portraits.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

This is one that I took with the Olympus. Really impressive for a 100 lens.

Old Jul 28, 2016, 7:33 am
Suspended

This one? I feel the zoom maybe too much on this which will spoil basic landscape photos? Ideally now I need my lens for portraits.
A long zoom lens is not for landscape photos. It's for shooting distant objects and wildlife. It can also be used for portraits, but it is not ideal for that. An ideal portrait lens is a short telephoto with a fast aperture that can be used to blur the background while keeping the subject in sharp focus.

The Panasonic lens I recommended is similar to the Olympus lens you bought and shot the Rhinos with, but the Panasonic is better constructed so it won't break easily, and it has internal image stabilization that the Olympus lens lacks.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lhgreengrd1
A long zoom lens is not for landscape photos. It's for shooting distant objects and wildlife. It can also be used for portraits, but it is not ideal for that. An ideal portrait lens is a short telephoto with a fast aperture that can be used to blur the background while keeping the subject in sharp focus.

The Panasonic lens I recommended is similar to the Olympus lens you bought and shot the Rhinos with, but the Panasonic is better constructed so it won't break easily, and it has internal image stabilization that the Olympus lens lacks.
Firstly thank you for your suggestions. I appreciate them. ^

I don't have a need for shooting distant objects as of now and would prefer a portrait lens. Could you suggest one of them keeping in mind that I don't want to break the bank as I am just starting out in this hobby.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 7:03 am

I don't have a need for shooting distant objects as of now and would prefer a portrait lens. Could you suggest one of them keeping in mind that I don't want to break the bank as I am just starting out in this hobby.
"Portrait"? Buy the Olympus 45mm f1.8. Get it used. There are tons of them out there on the used market, as they have been sold sometimes with kits. This is the best bang-for-the buck prime lens in Micro Four Thirds. Have a look at David Thorpe's review of it:
:

If you are out and about, this lens also doubles nicely as a short telephoto. I have this lens and from f2.0 and up it's incredible sharpness. For the little money I paid for it used, was a no-brainer.

If you want a wider prime, look for the Panasonic 20mm used as well.

For anyone with a limited budget, Micro four thirds is really ideal because there are tons of used lenses out there for very good prices. There is no need to buy any of this brand new.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

This doesn't have any zoom at all on it though right? Looks very nice though. How do you use yours in situations where you might want the object closer? Walk in ?
Old Aug 25, 2016, 2:04 am

If you want multiple field of view you can get a zoom instead e.g. the Panasonic 14-140 II. What you won't get from a zoom is a lot of depth of field or enough light gathering to take great photos inside without flash.

A fixed focal length prime lens like this, you zoom with your feet or you compose with what you've got. This lens is good indoors in a large room or assembly, gym etc. Not across the table. For that, I say get the 20mm Panasonic.

It's a matter of choices.

Whatever's the case don't be intimidated by brand new prices. Buying very affordable used lenses is one of the great benefits of going with micro four thirds.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by osamede
If you want multiple field of view you can get a zoom instead e.g. the Panasonic 14-140 II. What you won't get from a zoom is a lot of depth of field or enough light gathering to take great photos inside without flash.

A fixed focal length prime lens like this, you zoom with your feet or you compose with what you've got. This lens is good indoors in a large room or assembly, gym etc. Not across the table. For that, I say get the 20mm Panasonic.

It's a matter of choices.

Whatever's the case don't be intimidated by brand new prices. Buying very affordable used lenses is one of the great benefits of going with micro four thirds.
^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.