Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

What type of strap do you use for your camera?

View Poll Results: What type of strap do you use?
Conventional neck strap
24.24%
Shoulder (sling) strap
48.48%
Wrist strap
12.12%
Hand strap
6.06%
Something else or I don't use one or have a preference
9.09%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

What type of strap do you use for your camera?

Old Jun 26, 2016, 9:29 am

Programs: DL,Marriott,Hilton, Avis, SPG
I only travel with the Fuji X system cameras. The only strap I use on them (6 cameras) is the Gordy's strap with pad. They are all custom cut to the length that I want and the strap is flexible enough to be a handstrap if I want.

Last edited by rybolt; Jul 11, 2016 at 1:02 pm
Old Jul 11, 2016, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA Plt Pro, UA Silver, DL, QF; HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
I have a BlackRapid Sport on my Canon 5ds. When I'm traveling light, I use a conventional neck strap with my Fuji x100s.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 7:59 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Dia, AClub Plat, Hyatt Dia, FB Gold, LH SEN, TK *G
I use the spiderlight hand strap

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spiderholster/the-spiderlight-hand-strap?ref=email
Old Jul 13, 2016, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I made my own shoulder strap rig...

I put a key ring ring through the right strap point on my camera, than made two small loops and the ends of the strap. I connect the two with a Carabiner. This way I can hook and un hook it easily if I want, or even take off the strap and hook it to my belt or a backpack.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
I have a on my D750, and it has been great. I wanted a sling style strap, but did not want the tripod attachment, since I often travel with a tripod and I worry about that screw working its way loose while I'm walking around. It's basically the same concept as other sling straps, but with a very secure connection to the camera that doesn't require using the tripod mounting socket. I also love the fact that it's extremely fast to disconnect the camera from the strap. In fact, I usually take the camera off the strap when putting it away, then put the strap in the bag. When taking it out, I do the opposite - leave the camera in the bag while I put the strap over my head and shoulder, and then take out the camera and attach it.

Old Jul 25, 2016, 5:20 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
I don't use one. I hold my camera, make a female companion put it in her bag, or awkwardly juggle it between my elbow+body when I have a lot of things in my hands.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 6:55 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
No longer recommending the Barton 1972 straps. Still beautiful. Not durable. Company knows they have issues and have redesigned them.

Owners of the previous models are SOL.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 10:05 pm

I use the Black Rapid RS-7 Camera Strap. Works great.

Tony
Old Sep 14, 2016, 3:10 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM & 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dascc
I love my Peak Design strap.
I just got mine a few months ago and I've come to love it quite a bit! The seatbelt material is very comfortable and slides nicely. The only downside that I've discovered is that water can cause the rubbery grip that's on one side to start coming off. This can be caused by sweating a ton (yeah, gross, hate humidity!) or I guess walking around in rainstorms.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 8:34 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Peak Design on the a7r.

1Dx - One has a Australian CPS Strap(Crumpler) & the other has a US CPS Strap.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 10:21 pm

Programs: MS AMEX PLAT- Marriott Titanium-HH G- UA Silver-JPM RC . DL-AA-BA
Several years ago a group i was in was meeting at one of our members studios and we went to a waterfall location she often used to shoot some models who were actually her clients. A friend and I who is also a Nikon guy noticed that almost without exception the Canon people were using straps and the Nikon people were not.

When i do use a strap it is an older version of this.

http://blackrapid.com/Straps/Cross-Shot.html
Old Oct 26, 2016, 6:13 pm

Matin strap

On my last Safari trip, I bought a few 'Matin' Fast Access Shoulder straps and was extremely happy with how they worked. After a few hours I stopped worrying that it would break while holding a D5 and Sigma 150-600mm. Even during a few miles of hiking through a game reserve.

Never had an issue and I really liked the quick-disconnect function which made it easy to swap between shoulder and tripod.

https://www.amazon.com/Neoprene-Acce.../dp/B00FFT8E22
Old Oct 27, 2016, 1:46 pm

Programs: most of them
I use the PeakDesign hand strap along with their Capture clip. I put the Capture on my belt most of the time.

I also shoot with an Olympus OM-D E-M1, so it's lighter to begin with
Old Oct 27, 2016, 4:59 pm
Suspended

The OEM Nikon neck strap and sling it across my shoulder.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by glennaa11
I use the PeakDesign hand strap along with their Capture clip. I put the Capture on my belt most of the time.

I also shoot with an Olympus OM-D E-M1, so it's lighter to begin with
IIRC the Peak Design hand strap attaches to the lug on the camera body. The E-M1 has had many reported issues with the lugs separating from the camera and people having to send it in for repair. If you go to the micro four thirds forum on DP Review you will see this posted so please pay special attention to the lug and make sure it is firmly attached to the camera. @:-)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.