Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hope someone can help out with a camera problem

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2016, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Hope someone can help out with a camera problem

I hope someone can help me out here with those who have expertise in cameras. Around 5:00
, the video becomes blurry and clears up after a few seconds. I know its probably a camera feature but I can't seem to pinpoint the issue. I hope someone can help me out! Thanks
Old May 18, 2016, 8:41 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Looks like the autofocus is getting spoofed by the clouds passing by. I'd try locking focus on the edge of the engine nacelle and see if that clears it up. If your camera doesn't have focus lock, try switching to manual focus and setting it yourself.
Old May 18, 2016, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Looks like the autofocus is getting spoofed by the clouds passing by. I'd try locking focus on the edge of the engine nacelle and see if that clears it up. If your camera doesn't have focus lock, try switching to manual focus and setting it yourself.
This. AF is drifting.
Old May 18, 2016, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another vote for the auto-focus losing it's target, although I'm not sure why. You can clearly see the auto-focus hunt for the right focus as it recovers.
Old May 18, 2016, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies gang.

Is anyone familiar with auto focus on Canon cameras? Does anyone know how to turn it off?

And is auto focus the same as image stabilization?
Old May 18, 2016, 4:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by maortega15
Is anyone familiar with auto focus on Canon cameras? Does anyone know how to turn it off?
Generally not possible unless an SLR in which case the switch is on the lens. There are some models (e.g. S110) which will let you set a manual focus, too, but those are also less common than the many which do everything automatic. And I'm not certain that works for video mode even on those.

No.
Old May 19, 2016, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the replies gang.

I don't believe my Canon P&S has a manual focus capability at all. My Nikon DSLR certainly does, though, although I use it extremely rarely.

Image stabilization is a completely different thing, it attempts to compensate for shaking of the camera (as you can't hold it perfectly steady.) The only occasion I can see to turn it off is if you're using a tripod at which point is simply becomes a waste of battery power. A good image stabilizer will let you shoot in a lower light level than you normally could--I've gone as slow as half a second once and got the shot although it's by no means guaranteed. (And that wasn't braced or anything--it had been a long day, it's always hard for me to read the through-the-viewfinder information and I didn't notice what the camera was saying.) In the days before stabilization the slowest I ever shot was 1/8th second, that was braced and most of the shots were bad. (It was shoot that or not at all.)
Old May 20, 2016, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
Generally not possible unless an SLR in which case the switch is on the lens. There are some models (e.g. S110) which will let you set a manual focus, too, but those are also less common than the many which do everything automatic. And I'm not certain that works for video mode even on those.
I had the S120 which was used for the video, but now have the PowerShot 720 HS.
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
I don't believe my Canon P&S has a manual focus capability at all. My Nikon DSLR certainly does, though, although I use it extremely rarely.

Image stabilization is a completely different thing, it attempts to compensate for shaking of the camera (as you can't hold it perfectly steady.) The only occasion I can see to turn it off is if you're using a tripod at which point is simply becomes a waste of battery power. A good image stabilizer will let you shoot in a lower light level than you normally could--I've gone as slow as half a second once and got the shot although it's by no means guaranteed. (And that wasn't braced or anything--it had been a long day, it's always hard for me to read the through-the-viewfinder information and I didn't notice what the camera was saying.) In the days before stabilization the slowest I ever shot was 1/8th second, that was braced and most of the shots were bad. (It was shoot that or not at all.)
Thanks.

So whenever I take videos, just leave it as is?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.