How to handle DSLR when traveling

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to handle DSLR when traveling

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2016, 5:43 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I use my LowePro Pro Runner 350AW. It's a bit large for a carry-on, but I've never had a problem actually using it as one. It even squishes into the overhead bin on a CRJ (I might have to take the battery grip off first though).

I'm the type of person that likes to carry a lot of gear with them, so I usually have a 7D, 40D, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-300 f/4.0-5.6L, and a Canon 50mm f/1.8. The LowePro fits all of this, and I can squish in quite a bit more stuff (such as clothing, ham radio, etc) if I wanted to.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 5:30 am

What do people use when they just want to carry something smaller around on an outing - not all your lenses etc?
Old Apr 12, 2016, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by stingray072
What do people use when they just want to carry something smaller around on an outing - not all your lenses etc?
I use a Ona bag with my Oly.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 5:09 pm

In that case, I'd wear my camera around my neck or put it in a non-camera backpack.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 5:29 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
I normally just put my camera in a padded bag in my personal item / backpack. No damages or anything so far as I handle my own backpack since it also contains my laptop, money, and other important documents.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 9:38 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
I usually travel with 2 large cameras. A medium forma and a Sony A7RII. I use a Thinktank waist bag which goes on with 4 lenses and the SOny and the Pentax medium format is on a strap around my shoulders. Lenses go in my carry on or in the large pockets of my Rohan coat. I can fit 4 lenses in that, two of them large telephoto zooms. Makes the coat VERY heavy, but I won't check in lenses.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by diburning
In that case, I'd wear my camera around my neck or put it in a non-camera backpack.
That's what I've been doing but looking for something to protect it in my non-camera bag
Old Apr 20, 2016, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Troopers
I use a Ona bag with my Oly.
Looks nice-I'll check it out.

Anyone have good strap recommendations? I like to be able to access my camera quickly but still wear it comfortable while being able to do things (i.e. bend over and pick up a kid)
Old Apr 20, 2016, 10:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
That's what I've been doing but looking for something to protect it in my non-camera bag
FWIW I have my DSLR in an insert like the one in the link below and inside a regular Eddie Bauer day bag that has tons of miles on it and is pretty nondescript.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...d_i=3322455011
Old Apr 21, 2016, 3:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
I use this one for both the things you describe above.

http://www.amazon.com/Case-Logic-SLRC-202-Medium-Camera/dp/B001TZWNF0 http://www.amazon.com/Case-Logic-SLRC-202-Medium-Camera/dp/B001TZWNF0
Old Apr 21, 2016, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, Starwood, et al
Slightly OT: I suggest also having a small carrier for your memory cards (and having several), so you can carry them with you when you leave your camera behind (like in a "safe" while going to dinner). Equipment can be easily replaced, not so much the pictures.

Also, on the strap around the next, the first SLR I borrowed had a round metal strap to reduce the chance of someone cutting the strap while grabbing your camera, without regard for any damage to your neck.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
I usually travel with 2 large cameras. A medium forma and a Sony A7RII. I use a Thinktank waist bag which goes on with 4 lenses and the SOny and the Pentax medium format is on a strap around my shoulders. Lenses go in my carry on or in the large pockets of my Rohan coat. I can fit 4 lenses in that, two of them large telephoto zooms. Makes the coat VERY heavy, but I won't check in lenses.
Wow, lots and lots of gear.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 4:42 pm

Looks nice-I'll check it out.

Anyone have good strap recommendations? I like to be able to access my camera quickly but still wear it comfortable while being able to do things (i.e. bend over and pick up a kid)
The Ona is high quality bag, and it doesn't look like a camera bag ^

Strap for the camera or the bag? I usually take the strap off when traveling; that's what the bag is for...I don't mind holding it for bit, or putting it in the bag/pulling it out.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I just toss my 70D in my carryon. Don't really do much to protect it.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 8:39 pm

If you have a camera with a metal body, (40D, 50D, 7D, 7Dii, 70D, 80D, or a full frame body) then protection isn't as necessary unless you care about the cosmetic condition which doesn't affect function or image quality.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.