Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

Inexpensive High-Quality GoPro type cameras - any reviews ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2015, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Hi

I would like something like a GoPro but cheap and decent quality ,

I think the best copy is the sj4000 made by SJcam , there are also may cheaper copies ....

Has anyone used the copy cams ? and good or bad reviews ?

Also how are they in low light ?

what features are a must ?

and is WiFi useful ?

thanks for your ideas , I am sure there are many who do not want to spend GoPro $$$$ and also do not need the better quality to show the videos on your iPad
Old Dec 31, 2015, 11:11 am

I bought a Mecam X through Touch of Modern a few months ago, it's got good quality (I used it to record my Halloween fireworks display) and the WiFi is good when it works - the range seems to be a bit limited but because I was doing "set and forget" I just started recording and didn't worry about controlling the camera.

It came with a wrist control which I suppose could be useful, but I have a hard enough time wearing a wristwatch so having a rubbery band on my wrist isn't something I'm going to do if I can help it.

I haven't been able to get it to mount to desktop on my Macs, so when I need to access the video files I remove the card and use a reader. I have no idea if it will be recognized in Windows.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm going to move this to our Travel Photography forum. It should get some more traction there.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 6:02 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
For a factual yet entertaining comparison of GoPro and cheaper alternatives:

Old Jan 3, 2016, 8:09 am

Xiaomi Yi is the obvious choice, but the GoPro session is tanking in price like crazy and could be good value if it goes down any further
Old Jan 5, 2016, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have an SJCam WiFi, and really like it.

I use it mostly as a helmet cam for motorbike rides, and having the WiFi is very useful for this.

I mount my phone on my handlebars, and I can stream a live image of what the camera is seeing to the phone's screen, and also control (start/stop rec) from the phone.

And it's compatible with all the GoPro mounting accessories.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: status free since 2017
BUMP...

I am sure technology has made some progress in last 3.5yrs. Read about several alternatives on Amazon... wanted to see what to fellow FT'ers prefer.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: BAEC
I'll get the standard gopro. Yes it's more expensive but quality goes somewhere. But by all means check YouTube also
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:31 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
If looking to use in French Polynesia, would you suggest using a) existing GoPro Session, b) cheap Amazon knock-off, or c) new GoPro bundle at Costco?

Am very casual user and only use it in/underwater, but these action cameras have become so commodified am not sure if it’s just a better to get a disposable piece of junk from some scumbag importing these on Amazon marketplace now...
Old Jul 7, 2019, 10:26 pm

I looked at a bunch of knock offs earlier in the year and ended up buying a Hero 5 Black for the trip I took last spring. It worked great for what I wanted. I knew I wouldn't use it a lot after the trip and couldn't justify the $350 ($399 normally) that the Hero 7 Black was selling for at the time. I used the savings to pick up a few accessories for it. The one thing I forgot to' get was an extra battery which meant I had to top it off from one of my power banks after using it for awhile when put and about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.