Search

Nikon 1 or or Sony alpha series

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2015, 7:36 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Nikon 1 or or Sony alpha series

Hi guys,

Can you give me tips & advise on how to get a starter kit for these system? Which one is better? Which body & lenses should I choose? Budget is around 1-1.5k.

Coming from DSLR, I'm looking for a system which give me a capability of DSLR with 50 mm fixed lens (for potrait) and 24-70 2.8 (for walking around). Casual user.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 7:46 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Based on your description, you probably want the Sony Alpha system. Or do you want a compact mirrorless camera like the Nikon 1 cameras? That would be the Sony e-mount or NEX cameras. I'm not sure which way you're leaning here.

I have a Nikon 1 J3 mirrorless and three lenses for it; its a nice little camera and takes very sharp photos but it'll always play backup to my DSLRs with their proper viewfinders and much longer list of features.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 8:00 am

if you just want a DSLR compliment with just 24-70 2.8, I highly recommend the RX100 III/IV

it's extremely more portable and useful than a mirrorless. You'll carry it around more than a mirrorless

if you want to build up more lenses, then ignore this post
Old Nov 3, 2015, 8:04 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
Based on your description, you probably want the Sony Alpha system. Or do you want a compact mirrorless camera like the Nikon 1 cameras? That would be the Sony e-mount or NEX cameras. I'm not sure which way you're leaning here.

I have a Nikon 1 J3 mirrorless and three lenses for it; its a nice little camera and takes very sharp photos but it'll always play backup to my DSLRs with their proper viewfinders and much longer list of features.
My mistake, I'm not really familiar with mirrorless series for Sony. Yes, I'm looking for compact mirrorless camera. If you don't mind, What are your 3 lenses for J3?
Old Nov 3, 2015, 8:23 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
I have the 10-30 and 30-110 zooms, which are probably considered kit lenses for the 1 system, plus I have the 6.7-13 zoom which is more expensive (I needed a wide zoom).

There's also a 70-300 zoom which I'd love to own but can't justify the price. Maybe if I was a nature or sports photographer...

One of the neat things about the mirrorless cameras is you can get adapters and use your old "full size" lenses on them. I bought an inexpensive adapter from Fotodiox so I can use my Nikon F-mount lenses on my J3. Its fun.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 9:58 am

Programs: most of them
I'll throw in a plug for micro4/3. I switched from Nikon DSLR to Olympus OM-D cameras and m43 lenses and have been absolutely thrilled by my choice. It's an excellent system, especially for travel.

I have a Nikon1 V1 as well. My issue with that system is that the lens quality isn't as good as m43 and there aren't as many choices either.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 3:25 am

Ditto on the Micro 4/3. The Panasonic GM5 is very well priced and compact. Predecessor, GM1 is cheaper and also very good, but the GM5 has slightly better controls and an electronic viewfinder.

Another good one is the Olympus E-M10 Mark II. Even the Mark I on closeout is excellent value for money and still a great product despite "discontinued" status.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 11:55 am
Suspended

I own cameras and lenses in both Nikon 1 and Micro 4/3 systems. There's one specific thing that Nikon 1 does noticeably better, and that's continuous tracking AF of rapidly moving subject matter in good lighting. I use it for shooting sports and wildlife. For just about anything else, Micro 4/3 is noticeably better - in terms of value and quality of the lenses and image quality when shooting in low light, as well as a wide choice of good body options with viewfinders and tiltable screens and very customizeable control options.

Basically, the Nikon 1 system is a specialized niche system, whereas the Micro 4/3 system is a highly versatile general purpose system.

I should also add that the current highest end semi-pro-caliber bodies in Micro 4/3, being the Panasonic GH4 and the Olympus OM-D E-M1 (with the latest firmware) are getting pretty competitive in terms of continuous tracking AF performance, but these are not small, and not inexpensive cameras, and the smaller less costly cameras in Micro 4/3 remain less competitive on this particular capability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.