Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

Sony RX100 M1 vs M2

Sony RX100 M1 vs M2

Old Oct 17, 2015, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Sony RX100 M1 vs M2

I can get a pretty decent deal on the M1 right now. I'm just wondering if there's anything from the M2 that's really worth the ~$200 for. [M3/4 is out of the question for now]

I know that there's the
- Wifi / NFC (which I heard is quite wonky and I can live w/o)
- Tilted screen (not really a deal breaker for me)
- Hot shoe (not much accessories available anyways as M1/3/4 doesn't use it)

Last but not least....I heard the M2 uses the new BSI sensor which improves low light photography quite a bit.

Anyone have any personal experience between the M1 and 2? In short, is the BSI sensor really worth the additional ~$200 bucks?

Thanks!
Old Oct 18, 2015, 8:39 am

Programs: *G
ive had the 1. i wouldnt pay 200$ for the upgrade.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 11:40 am

I have the rx100 m1 and m4..

not worth the $200... the quality across the 4 version is very similar - some say that the high-ISO is even worse on the newer models.

each new model just gives you better ways of taking photographs (eg tilt screen, electronic shutter, EVF, wifi etc). they don't give you better quality photographs (other than m3 with the faster lens)
Old Oct 19, 2015, 10:50 am

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
You can find refurbished Mark III for $500ish once in a while. The Mark IV definitely is not worth the upgrade in my opinion, especially since they further bumped the price on it.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chongl
You can find refurbished Mark III for $500ish once in a while. The Mark IV definitely is not worth the upgrade in my opinion, especially since they further bumped the price on it.
Where do you find these refurbished models?

For the M1, I can get it for brand new under $400. Haven't had time to buy it yet.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by JordanWalker
Where do you find these refurbished models?

For the M1, I can get it for brand new under $400. Haven't had time to buy it yet.
bestbuy, cowboom etc

I got my M1 open-box from Bestbuy at $250

http://slickdeals.net/newsearch.php?q=rx100&firstonly=1
Old Nov 11, 2015, 8:41 am
Original Poster

No luck for this year's BF sales.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA/UA/UR/MRP/IHG Plat
I had the M1 and M2, with a time in between using a Canon. I wouldn't pay extra for the M2. My needs/interests were similar to yours. The only item of interest to me was the BSI sensor. But I'm not sure I ever noticed a difference between the two sensors. The M1 was more compact and had a better feel.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Admirals Club, Marriott PLT Premier, Hertz President's Circle
I'm fairly confident this is discussed in another thread, or perhaps in a broader thread about favorite travel cameras. I own the RX100 M2. The main reason I got the M2 was the wireless, which allows me to transfer photos onto my iphone via the app, which to me is really helpful since I like having the pics on my phone to show. Otherwise, I have been very happy with the camera.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by ssafro1
I'm fairly confident this is discussed in another thread, or perhaps in a broader thread about favorite travel cameras. I own the RX100 M2. The main reason I got the M2 was the wireless, which allows me to transfer photos onto my iphone via the app, which to me is really helpful since I like having the pics on my phone to show. Otherwise, I have been very happy with the camera.
true... wifi is nice, but not $200 nice

and the m2 doesn't have the playmemories camera apps (not compatible)

might as well pay more for the m3 (if you don't mind losing the zoom)
Old Nov 18, 2015, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chongl
I disagree - I made the switch from M1 to M2 to M3 and now on the M4. Low light is even better, and the 4K video support is and excellent addition. If you sell your old one quickly, you can essentially upgrade for around $300 each release. Not a bad price to pay for the latest and greatest.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 6:27 am

I used to have an 'M1'. Wonderful for the size, but one irritation which bugged me was the poor close-focussing ability: the M2/3/4 are better.

I actually sold it and invested in a second-hand Panasonic GM1 which is only a little bigger with the smallest m4/3 lenses, but gives much more flexibility (including close-focussing, of which I do quite a lot) and as a backup to my Olympus E-M1 body when travelling (they take the same lenses).

I can't speak for the USA, but there are a lot of GM1s for sale second hand in the UK now. The GM5 doesn't add much IMHO.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.