Wiki Posts
Search

In search of a new Canon camera

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2015, 6:00 am
Original Poster

In search of a new Canon camera

Hey gang,

So I’m looking to get a new Canon camera that’s good for night photos and night HD video. I don’t need all the bells and whistles of a camera as I am a novice in photography and just need it for taking good shots. Of course I want it to be high quality in daytime as well, not just at night or darkness.

My friend currently has the Canon PowerShot SX700 and I am taking a look at that. Anyone know if it’s any good for night photos and videos? He couldn’t give me a definitive answer as he uses it just for daytime shots.

Just to add, my price range would probably be around $USD 350.

Cheers

Last edited by maortega15; Jul 30, 2015 at 7:03 am
Old Jul 30, 2015, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Wondering why it has to be a Canon?

Also, what's your price point? Cameras that are good for low-light photography, such as some Canons and also a couple of Panasonics I can think of, tend to be pricey because they have large sensors (to gather more light), large lenses (to capture more light) or both. Neither of these comes free or even cheap.

The Canon PowerShot SX700 is about 18 months old at this point, which is a couple of decades in digital camera years. The SX710 from this past winter is a minor update. They're good cameras, but neither has a whole lot to recommend itself for low-light shooting. Their major asset is a long zoom lens in a compact package at a reasonable price.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply.

I prefer Canon as a brand since it's much more easy to use for me. Tried alot of brands in stores but Canon is my preferred brand. I had a Sony Cyber‑Shot DSC‑HX9V and I really didn't like it especially in low light.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 9:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by maortega15
Thanks for the reply.

I prefer Canon as a brand since it's much more easy to use for me. Tried alot of brands in stores but Canon is my preferred brand. I had a Sony Cyber‑Shot DSC‑HX9V and I really didn't like it especially in low light.
For low light, watch the Canon website for refurbished models. The Canon S1xx doesn't have much zoom, but the low light is very good. I got one for $100. I got the S100; I think the latest model is the S120.

If you still want big zoom, I strongly recommend the SX280, which I think is a precursor to the SX700 and has been around for a while. I have been so happy with it that I bought a second one (refurbished). Low light is the weak point, but I have the S100 for that.

Note: I've been very happy with the cameras I've gotten from Canon's refurbished website. Particular models come and go and there can be wide variation in price. I got the S100 for $100 (too good to pass up). Currently it's >$200, but prices go up and down.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 9:47 am

Link has camera specs,reviews.
Suggest you search through the Canon PowerShot Talk forum for your information.
Join and ask other users if you cannot find what you are looking for.
http://www.dpreview.com/products/can...specifications
Old Jul 31, 2015, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chollie
For low light, watch the Canon website for refurbished models. The Canon S1xx doesn't have much zoom, but the low light is very good. I got one for $100. I got the S100; I think the latest model is the S120.

If you still want big zoom, I strongly recommend the SX280, which I think is a precursor to the SX700 and has been around for a while. I have been so happy with it that I bought a second one (refurbished). Low light is the weak point, but I have the S100 for that.

Note: I've been very happy with the cameras I've gotten from Canon's refurbished website. Particular models come and go and there can be wide variation in price. I got the S100 for $100 (too good to pass up). Currently it's >$200, but prices go up and down.
Thanks for the suggestions. I sure would like to have a bigger zoom.

Originally Posted by TJR9999
Link has camera specs,reviews.
Suggest you search through the Canon PowerShot Talk forum for your information.
Join and ask other users if you cannot find what you are looking for.
http://www.dpreview.com/products/can...specifications
Thanks for the link. I will check it out.

I had a Canon G9 years ago. The quality in low light was pretty good. Just wish it was in HD and zoom could've been better.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 8:38 am
Original Poster

And anyone know how to take these kinds of shots:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Catha...904ce41262ce5e
and
http://www.airliners.net/photo/South...f9f50ca937f100

It just pains me that I just get any decent shots like the ones above. I'm a noob in photography. Hopefully, I don't have to get an SLR type of camera to get the same type of results.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:52 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
It just pains me that I just get any decent shots like the ones above. I'm a noob in photography. Hopefully, I don't have to get an SLR type of camera to get the same type of results.
I don't want to discourage anyone but the kinds of photos you linked take a LOT of skill, talent and better equipment than some pocket camera. You would do well to set your sights a bit lower until you are no longer a "noob at photography." Work on improving your photo knowledge and experience and practice a lot to improve your skill level. Your photos will improve over time as you learn how to make them better.

A new camera will not make better photos, that is up to the photographer. On the other hand, a good photographer can make good photos with any camera.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 10:56 am

you can't get those two photos with a P&S easily. the second one says "1/30th f/1.4 ISO 2000"

Canon SX700 (1/5 f/3.2 1600 ISO) f/3.2 is the widest aperture
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mkline55/14824585453

You can see the amount of visible noise at 1600 ISO on a P&S

https://www.flickr.com/photos/moniqu...ca/15302576151
1/8 f/3.2 1600 ISO

the Canon G7x P&S might be more capable (larger sensor, less noisy), but it's starting at $450 refurb, and you need to take time and learn how to use it
(automatic mode will likely not give you that kind of shot - you'll need to set widest aperture, shutter speed as low as you can go without blur, and appropriate ISO setting)

g7x 1/50 f/2.2 2500 ISO (probably could have gone lower shutter speed)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/namhdyk/19515941542/

sony rx100 (it's very similar to the g7x)
=> you can get the first version rx100 m1 for under $400, not as good as the g7x, but still worth it.. m1 is about 2 generations older than g7x, but still capable
https://www.flickr.com/photos/133088...2/17492386871/

-> once you understand why, then see if your camera is limiting your photography ability

https://photographylife.com/iso-shut...-for-beginners

What should I do in low-light situations? Use Aperture-Priority mode, set your aperture to the lowest possible number. Be careful if you have a fast lens such as Nikon 50mm f/1.4, because setting aperture to the lowest number (f/1.4) will make the depth of field very shallow. Set your “Auto ISO” to “On” (if you have it) and make sure that the maximum ISO and minimum shutter speed are both defined, as shown in section 3. If after increasing your ISO you are still getting small shutter speeds (which means that you are in a very dim environment), your only other options are to either use a tripod or a flash. If you have moving subjects that need to be “frozen”, you will have to use flash.

Last edited by paperwastage; Jul 31, 2015 at 11:57 am
Old Jul 31, 2015, 12:19 pm

in case you don't want to read the large amount of text above:

quality, zoom, size
Choose two of the three above:

size + quality = Canon G7x, RX100 line

size + zoom = Canon SX710 or Sony HX90/WX350 or Panasonic TZ60/ZS40

quality + zoom = mirrorless/bridge/dSLR
Old Jul 31, 2015, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. I did actually read the text above but the price is off putting for the higher end models!

What Canon camera would be the best if I want to take those shots using automatic mode? I really hate to mess around with the settings. I don't have to take professional looking photos. I just want it to look good when I look at it.

The first image above with the Canon SX700 looks good I must say. I was wondering if there is another Canon similar to the SX700 that can take a slightly better picture? Doesn't have to be alot better. Slightly better would be good.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

As for HD video at night, this is the quality I'm striving for:

Old Jul 31, 2015, 2:05 pm
St.

I would never personally recommend a Canon camera (except for their top of the line cameras) because I think other companies make better products. However, I feel given your criteria, it has to be the G7X. If you don't mind buying from a non-authorized dealer, a quick google shopping search at the time of posting shows it selling for right about $400 new. By buying from a non-authorized dealer your warranty may be voided but by saving ~$200 it might be worth it for you. I know you want a little more zoom but you have to choose which is more important to you: zoom, budget, or night-shots. If zoom and budget are more important I think either the SX700 or SX60HS are really your only options.

To add to what was said about taking night-time photography; all cameras need light to take pictures. Cameras use a couple of things to get more light 1) Take longer collecting light (i.e. low shutter speeds); 2) Collect more light (i.e. f-stop number with the lower being better for this task so f2.8 is better than f3.5); 3) Use higher ISO (makes a photo more pixelated). You can see in the SX700 example given above s/he uses a low shutter speed (if they had a tripod or flat surface with the SX700 you can go down as low as 15 seconds) and high ISO, which is what causes the pixilation you can see at the top left corner.

Without buying a new camera, the easiest way to get better night shots is by using lower shutter speeds. The downside is that the lower your shutter speed the harder it is to keep it steady (your hand vibrates) so you need a tripod or flat surface like a table or windowsill to help steady it. Otherwise you want the biggest sensor (which usually has the best looking high ISO images) with the fastest lens (the smallest f-number) that you can afford.

A 1 inch sensor, like in the G7X, is as big as you can currently go without buying a Interchangeable Lens System (one where the lens separates from the body).
Old Jul 31, 2015, 3:01 pm

As for HD video at night, this is the quality I'm striving for:
Watching on mobile (selected 1080p, but dunno if i'm getting 1080p)

first video, seems like the framerate is set below 1/30 to get more light, (maybe 1/20? looks "laggy")
second video, noisy...... not as "laggy"

from dpreview's search-> http://www.dpreview.com/products/search/cameras?

looks like the sx710 and g7x are the only recent (<= 1year) canon P&S with 1080p
canon G16 is old (aug 2013), but has larger sensor than sx710. do some research on this one?

Originally Posted by St.
A 1 inch sensor, like in the G7X, is as big as you can currently go without buying a Interchangeable Lens System (one where the lens separates from the body).
panasonic lx100 (if you still consider it a P&S) sensor size is larger than 1", fixed lens. (physical sensor is 4/3, but actual image area used is smaller due to lens choice)

dont think OP would want that... $700...
Old Jul 31, 2015, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
And anyone know how to take these kinds of shots:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Catha...904ce41262ce5e
and
http://www.airliners.net/photo/South...f9f50ca937f100

Sorry, but you will. I usually tell folks that learning how to effectively take photographs and use the capability of your camera is much more important. I can take better photos, in most situations, with an iPhone, than a "noob" can with a $9K 1DX.

But those are situations where the gear actually will be required to get the shot. Those aperture/ISO/noise characteristics just aren't available at $300. (They require the photography skills on top of that).

G7X or T3i if those aren't out of your range. I don't know enough about the less expensive P&S cameras.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.