Community
Wiki Posts
Search

In search of a new Canon camera

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2015, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by St.
I would never personally recommend a Canon camera (except for their top of the line cameras) because I think other companies make better products. However, I feel given your criteria, it has to be the G7X. ............
+1
Old Aug 1, 2015, 6:07 am
Suspended

Canon camera is the most useful photography way.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 6:59 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
To take those night shots, you are looking at a tripod, shutter release, good lens and good dslr. And lots of money. You might be able to get a somewhat decent shot like that using a hand held point and shoot if you are keeping the image size small and posting on the web. And it takes a fair amount of knowledge to know what you are doing. I'm a Canon person and I'd stay away from their cameras if I were buying completely new gear. They just aren't up to Nikon and Sony's DSLRs right now. I think the lenses are very good, though.

Photography is always a trade off. And if you want to take really, really good pictures you need to know what you are trading off to get the photo you want.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by allset2travel
+1
Yikes at the price! I was just going to use my camera for my Hawaii holiday and that's probably it!!

I might stick with the SX7** series if anything. If anyone has other suggestions that are much more "price friendly", please let me know.

Thanks everyone.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 8:47 am

I found a good deal on an open box special for a SX-170HS about a month ago. I am not impressed with the image quality considering the price range of the camera. I have seen much better images taken with the better cell phone cameras. The images are soft and a bit low in contrast. It looks as if there is a thin haze on front of the lens. For the sensor size and pixel count, the images just should not look like that. I have decided it must be that the lens is sub par on this model. The photos can look OK after some processing in a photo editing program, but for the price these cameras go for, I cannot recommend this model.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Sorry to bring this thread up again, but I've narrowed my choices down to the following cameras:

*Canon PowerShot S120
*Canon PowerShot S110

What would be the best between the two?

And would it matter if I purchase new or refurbished or they will probably be the same?

Thanks
Old Oct 12, 2015, 7:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by maortega15
Sorry to bring this thread up again, but I've narrowed my choices down to the following cameras:

*Canon PowerShot S120
*Canon PowerShot S110

What would be the best between the two?

And would it matter if I purchase new or refurbished or they will probably be the same?

Thanks
Personally, I almost always buy refurbished cameras when they are available and the cost savings is noticeable - so long as the refurb. comes with at least a 90 day manufacturer's warranty.

The main advantages of the S120 and the S110 are faster autofocus, a better LCD screen, and it's generally faster. Image quality is slightly improved. How much that matters depends upon what you shoot - and only you can decide if the S120 is worth the price premium. When I last looked closely at them, the S110 was selling on clearance for just over $150 while the S120 was generally not discounted from $350. Your money, your decision.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-Po...PowerShot-S120
Old Oct 13, 2015, 6:00 pm

fyi, attempted some night plane photography with my rx100 IV. wasn't sitting by window, limited by 70mm + f/2.8, couldn't do a video (it'll be very choppy/unstable)

you can tell that the main cabin lights were off... had to go above 3200 ISO

(6 photos on plane)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/133088...57657589417826

Old Oct 14, 2015, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paperwastage
fyi, attempted some night plane photography with my rx100 IV. wasn't sitting by window, limited by 70mm + f/2.8, couldn't do a video (it'll be very choppy/unstable)

you can tell that the main cabin lights were off... had to go above 3200 ISO

(6 photos on plane)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/133088...57657589417826

Quality looks pretty good. I'm still unsure if I should get the S110 or S120 new or refurbished.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 11:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Quality looks pretty good. I'm still unsure if I should get the S110 or S120 new or refurbished.
Go with refurbished. Prices go up and down (I got my S100 for $100).

I don't think you'll really know if it's the right camera for you until you take it on vacation and try it out. If you get refurbished, that minimizes your expenditure while allowing you to try out a camera to see what is actually most important to you.

I like the S100, but for my purposes, it is very limited. I find it too slow for wildlife and I use zoom a LOT. I'm glad I didn't pay full price to find out that it isn't the ideal camera for my needs.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 3:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, United Plat
You might want to check this out.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/ca...igital-cameras

I usually buy my lenses from Canon's refurb site and I have never been disappointed. When I do use a P&S, I use a Sony RX100 II.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Has anyone tried both the Canon S110 and S120? I'm still deciding what to get.

I'll most likely rather get brand new instead of refurbished.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 11:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Has anyone tried both the Canon S110 and S120? I'm still deciding what to get.

I'll most likely rather get brand new instead of refurbished.
If you get refurbished, you can probably get one of each for the same total cost at getting one of them new.

This is second-hand information. I met someone travelling who had the S120 and was not happy. We both had the S100, he had upgraded to the S110 and now the S120. He preferred the S110. Unfortunately, I don't remember the details why.

For me, the problem is the lack of zoom. I didn't realize how much I use it until I didn't have it.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, FM Prem, SPG gold
I have been a Canon PS/s series user since about 2003.

PS S400
PS S410
s90
s95
s120

By far the best of the bunch was the S120. I have since moved to a FF 5DIII and while it is night and day it really has made me appreciate a few things about the s120.

-The F1.8 lens is magnificent.

-I never gave IS much though but have learned that shooting at 2.8 on my L lenses now I wish I had IS. It makes a world of difference when I shoot on my travels. I often don't like to stop walking and just snap a quick photo in passing. Many more keepers with IS.

-I can't recall if there was wifi on the s120, (or s110) but being able to (reasonably) easily transfer files to my phone is great on my travels as I want to share a daily photo with family friends.

That being said I am a firm believer in the refurb tech world. Computers, Cameras, Speakers
Feel free to ask any specific s120 questions.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
If you're still thinking about the S120, also consider the just announced G9 X. Which is somewhere between the S120 and G7 X.

Last edited by rkkwan; Oct 17, 2015 at 10:28 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.