Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

Embarrassed of taking pictures for trip reports at lounges, hotel lobby ... etc?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Embarrassed of taking pictures for trip reports at lounges, hotel lobby ... etc?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2015, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Being embarrassed only happens if you care about what people think of you...and trust me, I don't pay any attention to the guy snapping away

How often do you see someone taking pictures and think 'what a clown! how could he?!'

Plus, it's not like you'll ever see these people again (ever...) so snap away!
Old May 23, 2015, 8:01 pm

Programs: Discretely with AA-G AFFB-C2 UA-EP LHLX-S HH-D
Originally Posted by xcalibir
Hey guys,

I am going on a trip next month and would like to provide my own trip report. Does anyone get embarrassed when taking so many pics at lounges, hotel lobbies etc...?

If so, how do you guys do "stealth pictures"

If you ever dare to even think of taking my photo, I shall a) biff you one b) arrest you c) have you deported d) despise you as a low-life species and e) blacklist you.

Seriously. What a horrible, nasty, intrusive person(?) you are. Go away.
Old May 24, 2015, 12:49 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by PaulRO
If you ever dare to even think of taking my photo, I shall a) biff you one b) arrest you c) have you deported d) despise you as a low-life species and e) blacklist you.

When you make a joke in the forum, it is customary to attach a "smilie" icon so people know you are using humor, albeit clumsily. If by some ridiculous chance this is in any way serious, I can only say that YOU should go away. Public space photography is completely legal and in no way "horrible, "nasty" or "intrusive."

As for you or anyone attempting to "biff" me one, I would caution extreme care. That old law enforcement training hasn't completely worn off since my retirement. The only "arrest" being made would be of the aggressor, not the innocent photographer.

Last edited by abmj-jr; May 24, 2015 at 3:07 am
Old May 24, 2015, 1:27 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
The only "arrest" being made would be of the aggressor, not the innocent photographer.
Exactly the highlights of taking two classes out for shooting labs was once in Times Sq where a street vendor tackled one of our female students and broke her camera & another was getting a mustardy hot dog thrown at one on at the Nathan's near the Coney Island stop.
The first one the police report was fun, the second one I warned them that sometimes we've run into this older woman who is a bit off her rocker (my very first day of class she came up and told us we owed her $50 with mustard all over her mouth) and be wary.
Old May 26, 2015, 9:28 am

Programs: most of them
My trip reports don't include any lounge photos or airplane photos or food photos. And people seem to like them just fine. There's no rule that says your trip report must include these things. My reports are about the destination and not about the airplane. And anyway how many times does some one need to post a photo of an airplane seat or airplane food or a lounge?
Old May 26, 2015, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by glennaa11
My trip reports don't include any lounge photos or airplane photos or food photos. And people seem to like them just fine. There's no rule that says your trip report must include these things. My reports are about the destination and not about the airplane. And anyway how many times does some one need to post a photo of an airplane seat or airplane food or a lounge?
People have different interests, amazing right? I personally find the trip reports that focus on the planes and journey fascinating and oftentimes extremely helpful.
Old May 26, 2015, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by PaulRO

This is a very fast way to end up in jail. Unless you're kidding. Which I hope you are. In any case, say cheese.
Old May 26, 2015, 10:19 am

Programs: most of them
Originally Posted by mikekelley
People have different interests, amazing right? I personally find the trip reports that focus on the planes and journey fascinating and oftentimes extremely helpful.
Sure. I'm just saying the OP shouldn't feel obligated to include photos of these things.
Old May 26, 2015, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I find the TRs the best where they post a healthy balance of airport, plane, hotel, destination, etc.

There's plenty of airlines and lounges I won't visit but would like a little peek inside...however, I have seen plenty of yogurt sitting in a half melted bowl of ice I don't really need 4 photos of that or a direct flash macro photo of your steak cut open.

In my own TRs I try to offer what I like but you'll see the image quality and style varies between each category where the "nice" photos are usually the destination, followed by some "pretty" Instagram photos (out the plane window, night market, champagne bubbles) and then finally followed by just descriptive/matter of fact photos (lounge shower, in flight food, hotel room) hastily snapped with my phone.
I think part of it is just the internal struggle of being a professional photographer that when I take a photo I'm used to doing it for my own work and not write about traveling on an internet forum...so I do the good ones when I can and then just don't give a hoot for much of the rest.
Old May 28, 2015, 6:30 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
Well to answer the OP, I like to take interior shots especially if it is a nice hotel lobby and lounge. What I usually do is find the quietest corner I find and try to take a shot with the minimum distraction.

Over the years, I have had people confronting me about taking photos in public areas (usually train stations and street-side). I think it is right for people not wanting to appear in photographs but have you ever wondered that some photographers might not want you to be in the photo at all in the first place? Some things I try to do is I use a lower shutter speed, and place the camera along a lounge table, or armrest and point it to areas with movement (like the reception counter or buffet counter in lounges). This way the movement of the people blurs out the details and creates a nicer photo.
Old May 28, 2015, 6:48 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by quirrow
Some things I try to do is I use a lower shutter speed, and place the camera along a lounge table, or armrest and point it to areas with movement (like the reception counter or buffet counter in lounges). This way the movement of the people blurs out the details and creates a nicer photo.
Totally agree, this is a great technique.
Old May 28, 2015, 8:06 pm

Where I get most embarrassed is on the plane. I love taking pics of the seats, the meal presentation, etc., but it's a little awkward, especially when you can't help getting other pax, or crewmembers, in the frame.

-- Patrick Smith
Old May 29, 2015, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
Just remember, there's no reasonable expectation of privacy in a public place.
That is certainly true in the U.S., but not necessarily so in some other countries.
The only thing you cannot do in the U.S. is use pictures of people (and sometimes their property) commercially, unless you obtain a model release.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.