Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

Camera Body vs. Lenses

Camera Body vs. Lenses

Old Apr 11, 2015, 3:00 am

Programs: QF
This is going to sound like heresy but I've taken to carrying a Canon 700D+18-55mm STM kit lens rather than the 5D3+24-70mm simply because the former is so much lighter. The quality of the "kit" lens is acceptable in anything but low light anyway.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 9:39 am

Camera Vs. Lenses

I do a LOT of photography, landscapes mostly, but I do shoot some people as well.

IMHO, If you're not going to be getting into photography seriously, then just purchase a quality point and shoot camera. You can get one that shoots RAW in order to have the best editing control and options.

I was looking into purchasing a P&S to take on some of our trips because it is a PITA lugging all my gear sometimes. I shoot full format Nikon and with a few 2.8 lenses, plus all the other stuff, my bag gets heavy.

Anyhow, when I was looking, I had pretty much decided on a Canon S120. Another (excellent, actually) option is the Sony RX-100...That camera gets rave reviews and is considered by many to be the best P&S on the market. They have newer versions out now that are quite a bit more expensive than the MK 1, but I'm not sure of all the differences and if they are worth the extra cost.

If you want a DSLR, the Nikon D5300 is a great entry level DSLR camera and would allow you to attach all sorts of lenses.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Digital-...keywords=d5300

That's a nice "kit" lens, too.

Honestly, it really isn't the camera or the lens...It IS the photographer. Knowing how to use your gear and how to edit images is the most important aspect of digital photography. I've taken some amazing shots with an iPhone 4, an old twin lens Lubi, a plastic Holga, etc.

Fast, quality glass is expensive. Sometimes even more than the camera itself. If you do go for a DSLR I can totally recommend Tamron's lenses.

Their "anniversary" 70-300mm lens is one of the best I have ever shot with. It's not a 2.8 but it is ticky tack sharp! http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-70-300m.../dp/B003YH9DZE

Nikon's 50mm 1.8D (aka "fast-fifty") can be purchased used for less than $100 (I got mine on CL for $85) and one of the sharpest lenses they produce.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-50mm-Nik...nikon+50mm+1.8

Do your homework, decide what type of camera meets YOUR needs now, and in the future. If you thoroughly enjoy taking photos, then I'd go with something you can grow with like a DSLR. If you just want a good quality camera in order to capture photos of the sights, the family, etc., then I'd go with one of the P&S cameras listed above.

Notice I didn't mention anything about the mirrorless 4/3's...That is because they are pretty limited with respect to lens range and, for that kind of cost, you can get a DSLR for less money and more capability. That's my experienced opinion, anyway.

Whichever you choose, learn to use your camera and edit!! READ THE MANUAL and HAVE FUN! Go out and shoot all sorts of things to get the hang of it. It's not rocket science, but there is a learning curve.

Good Luck!
Old Apr 11, 2015, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by CitizenWorld
This is going to sound like heresy but I've taken to carrying a Canon 700D+18-55mm STM kit lens rather than the 5D3+24-70mm simply because the former is so much lighter. The quality of the "kit" lens is acceptable in anything but low light anyway.
Anymore, some of these kit lenses are pretty nice pieces of glass!

Also, I've been impressed with Tamron lenses and kind of have an obsession with them lately, lol. I bought their 70-300mm anniversary lens, their 28-75mm 2.8 and just picked up an E+ used 11-17mm on CL that's 100% compatible with my Nikon FX and I am 100% happy with all of them.

Especially the 70-300mm. It's heavy, especially on a FX body w/grip, but it takes some amazing images and the sharpness is just incredible!

When I purchase primes, I go with Nikon. But some of these 3rd party manufacturers have upped their game. Sigma's new Art line is a great example of this. Wish they'd lower the cost a bit though, lol.

Glad I joined FT! So many threads on just travel photography makes me happy!
Old Apr 11, 2015, 10:02 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Most kit lenses are not glass, but plastic,

Just check the edges of your pictures, for waves lines and color changes.

Focus on a framing square and check out the lense...

No lense is perfect, you just need to be aware of the sweet spots..
Old Apr 12, 2015, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
A photographer makes a shot exciting, not a camera body or lens. That said there is no question that having the right equipment opens up possibilities for the shot to exist in the first place.

If you are interested in going the DSLR route, cameras go obsolete every year while lenses evolve much more slowly. So in general I'd agree with the notion of investing in a decent body and better lenses.

You did not give any indication of your budget, even a ballpark. Without an idea of that, it is hard to provide specific recommendations.

One thing I think you will quickly find, if you are used to point-and-shoot cameras, is that wide angle photography can prove difficult with DSLRs, especially if you are using an APS-C body (as most are) instead of a full frame. Something like a Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS is a very versatile, high quality lens and can be obtained as part of a kit or through certain retailers at a substantial discount compared to MSRP. On an APS-C camera though, this is not really wide angle as 24mm really looks more like 38mm on a full frame/35mm camera, so you may be wishing you had a wider lens in many situations especially in urban settings. Here again, an idea of your budget would help drive recommendations.
Old May 31, 2015, 2:37 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Platinum, Hilton, Sheraton, Best Western
I started out with a D80 and a 18-200VR lens, plenty of batteries, a lightweight tripod, and some filters. This made it very convenient to travel (camera and lenses on the plane, everything else checked in bags). However, eventually I moved to much better lenses (11-16 tokina and a 17-50 sigma) and camera D7100 for the extra speed, better image quality, etc. I am now considering going with primes because I found I was always using lenses at one focal end or the other. Also i just didn't like the long range zoom photos I took - the shots were boring.
I would also suggest shooting as often as possible in different locations. Use this to find out what photos you like and which you don't like.
Invest time in viewing other photos on flickr for the places you plan to visit.
I would also suggest you read at least one book on composition - they helped me tremendously to find photos I like.
Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.