Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

points question on buying a camera

Old Mar 27, 2015, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Here's the question
I'm Highly considering purchasing a new camera - but I want to get the biggest bang for the buck.
I'm considering ordering the camera through Amazon -
I would buy amazon gift cards to cover the cost - with my Chase +5 points cards at staples.

Question is - is there a limit on how much/many Gift cards I can add to my amazon account.

The camera is approx. $4,000 If I bought $4,000 worth of amazon gift cards, added them to my account, then purchased the camera --- will it work or is there a limit?
For me that would be 20,000 frequent flyer points - I'd like those points.

Jam
Old Mar 27, 2015, 3:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm not aware of any limits but I'm guessing the folks in the Manufactured Spending forum know more about this sort of thing. I've asked the mods to move the inquiry over that direction.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

thanks.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 2:25 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, EZ Pass Plat, Starbucks Gold, Whatever flight is cheapest
I only buy things with Amazon with existing gift card balances that I've purchased on credit cards. Grocery stores around me give cents off/gallon rewards that rack up by buying gift cards for stores where I'm going to spend $ anyway. Periodically, they bump up from 10 cents off per gallon per $100 spent to 20-40 cents.

Doesn't look like there's any limit in the T&C's.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 3:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
That's an interesting approach. I didn't know Chase had Amazon gift cards.

But one thing to consider, you can order from a site like Adorama or B&H and unless you live in NY or NJ, you don't pay sales tax, which you would at Amazon.

So 8-9% sales tax on $4000 is a nice chunk of money. Are the points worth that much?

Other thing to consider is that if you purchase with gift cards, you may not get the extended warranty or the purchase protection that credit cards offer you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.