Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Selfie Sticks

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2015, 5:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PradoC
I once flew on a flight to ICN and this girl pulled out her selfie stick stretching to the aisle to take pictures when everyone is trying to get seated / place their items on the overhead.
Ehh probably less annoying than people who take 5 minutes to put their baggage in the overhead.
Old May 27, 2015, 6:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I hate these things with a burning fire. What sort of person actually totes one of these monstrosities around?
What sort of person? Having noticed them many times on a recent trip to London my empirical observations suggests they are used more often by women than men. They are younger with a disproportionate number of Asians.

I had to dodge several selfie-stick wielders on Westminster Bridge who just couldn't go home without a shaky picture of them and Big Ben. The thought of grabbing the stick and phone and pitching them into the Thames did cross my mind.
Old May 27, 2015, 10:16 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
It's not the sticks, it's the whole selfie phenomenon.

But that's not new either, people always take pictures of themselves against a famous attraction in the background.

Smart phones have just enabled this kind of narcissism to the nth degree.
Old May 31, 2015, 4:59 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by wco81
It's not the sticks, it's the whole selfie phenomenon.

But that's not new either, people always take pictures of themselves against a famous attraction in the background.

Smart phones have just enabled this kind of narcissism to the nth degree.
Time to create a Anti Selfie Squad whose members will actively photo bomb the Selfiers with Sicks !
Old May 31, 2015, 10:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
I just never understood how this stick became so popular. The point of smart phones getting smaller is because girls in particular (who are the biggest buyers of the selfie) are willing to carry the selfie stick around which may be in a way bigger than there phone.
They are willing to carry a selfie stick but not anything else other than an wallet for 10+ years.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 2:44 am

Programs: SPG Plat, A3 *A Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by justforfun
I think it's obnoxious and a sign of the apocalypse, but it makes my trips with her so much nicer. The stick is here to stay.
Yes, the apocalypse is right around the corner.

Last edited by sthubbar; Jun 1, 2015 at 2:54 am
Old Jun 1, 2015, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by shuigao
I don't understand the hate at selfie sticks. Even if you're 40 or 50 don't you want at least a couple of photos together with your whole travel party? Before selfie sticks you'd hand your camera off to some other person asking for help only to invariably find the composition is absolute sh*t. Doesn't it make sense to buy a selfie stick so you can then do the job yourself?
The hate isn't really about selfie-sticks; it's about the narcissistic and selfish behaviour that is often exhibited by people wielding them. I'm sure there are plenty of people who use them sparingly, and are careful to avoid ruining other people's views and whacking other people with them; unfortunately the selfie-stick owners who aren't as well behaved with them are a plague.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by TMM1982
Facebook may or may not be around in 40 years. But computers and the internet aren't going away anytime soon. As long as they're saved in space somewhere, they will be there for viewing.
But what if Al Gore decides to shut down the Internet ?
Old Jun 2, 2015, 1:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by HMPS
But what if Al Gore decides to shut down the Internet ?
Valid point
Old Jun 2, 2015, 11:33 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
But computers and the internet aren't going away anytime soon. As long as they're saved in space somewhere, they will be there for viewing.
Hard to say. I can think of many sites which I used to use to host photos that have disappeared over the last ten years. It could happen to Photobucket, Imageshack, Smugmug, Flickr.... Who knows who's next.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 1:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
Hard to say. I can think of many sites which I used to use to host photos that have disappeared over the last ten years. It could happen to Photobucket, Imageshack, Smugmug, Flickr.... Who knows who's next.
Sure. Businesses come and go but the places you mentioned aren't fly by night operations. I suppose if you just save the pics to SmugMug and then try to login in 50 years to check them again, you may have some issues. But you'll get notices about organizational changes and you can move pics if necessary. Point is, you won't lose your pics, unless you're a total clown about it.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 1:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I don't do online backups but who knows, decades from now, the USB and Thunderbolt hard drives may not work with computers of that time.

Of course we'll have to migrate to new medium.

Then again, decades from now, I may not care as much for pictures taken so long ago. Especially with digital you can capture and store so many cheaply, compared to film and old photo paper.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 4:29 pm

Sure. Businesses come and go but the places you mentioned aren't fly by night operations. I suppose if you just save the pics to SmugMug and then try to login in 50 years to check them again, you may have some issues. But you'll get notices about organizational changes and you can move pics if necessary. Point is, you won't lose your pics, unless you're a total clown about it.
Have you not seen businesses go insolvent and close down overnight ?
Old Jun 3, 2015, 2:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by HMPS
Have you not seen businesses go insolvent and close down overnight ?
Old Jun 3, 2015, 9:38 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
I think I can safely say that most of those stick-wielding selfie-shooters we're complaining about in this thread aren't doing anything special to ensure their selfies are around to enjoy in fifty years. Just a hunch, but I'm sure I'm right.

Its been said, that with the switch to digital we're seeing an era where less and less photos are printed or archived in any way, than ever before. In the old days, everyone had drawers of negatives and boxes of color slides or prints which lasted more-or-less forever. Now, increasingly, everyone's pics are saved on an SD card (which could get lost), in their phone, or in their computer. Does everyone remember to save everything when they buy a new phone? How about ten phones from now? One very BIG concern is that its very easy to lose entire years worth of photos all at once.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.