Selfie Sticks

Old May 12, 2015, 5:44 am

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by shuigao
I don't understand the hate at selfie sticks. Even if you're 40 or 50 don't you want at least a couple of photos together with your whole travel party? Before selfie sticks you'd hand your camera off to some other person asking for help only to invariably find the composition is absolute sh*t. Doesn't it make sense to buy a selfie stick so you can then do the job yourself?

I'm 54 and have traveled my whole life. And mysteriously, I have photos of myself, my family...incredibly the whole group... in all of the places I ventured. And ....are you sitting down?....without a selfie stick! Amazing, huh?

I do realize we were pioneers of our time, bordering on Super Hero abilities, but hey, I've always been special.

Old May 12, 2015, 6:11 am

Actually, I find it beneficial to ask others to snap my (our group, etc.) picture. It is a mutual benefit in many cases (exchanging cameras), and it might even lead to a short conversation (e.g.: where are you from?, or other helpful hints about where you are touring). This camera exchange can be done despite any language barriers, and I will bet that the resulting photo, in most cases, will be better composed than a selfie stick photo.
Old May 12, 2015, 6:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pepsi38
...and it might even lead to a short conversation (e.g.: where are you from?, or other helpful hints about where you are touring).
I actually try and avoid this at all cost. In general, I find that I'm almost always better prepared and more organized for a trip than the people I encounter. Inevitably these exchanges lead to people just trying to bleed me dry for information. I was willing in my 20s, now I'm a bit over it.

...and I will bet that the resulting photo, in most cases, will be better composed than a selfie stick photo.
Usually it's not. Also with the selfie pic, you can see how your smile looks and then snap. You don't have that luxury with someone else taking the pic and you're not going to tell them, "Oh I don't like my smile, can you try again."
Old May 12, 2015, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982
To the people complaining about selfie sticks, would you rather people bother you to take their picture and then checking to see if you did a good job?
Yes! Interacting with other human beings is one of the things that makes travel fun.
Old May 12, 2015, 8:34 am

Programs: American AAdvantage
Actually, I find it beneficial to ask others to snap my (our group, etc.) picture. It is a mutual benefit in many cases (exchanging cameras), and it might even lead to a short conversation (e.g.: where are you from?, or other helpful hints about where you are touring). This camera exchange can be done despite any language barriers, and I will bet that the resulting photo, in most cases, will be better composed than a selfie stick photo.
While on vacation over the years, I've had fellow tourists ask me to take their photos. Because every manufacturer is different, all I can do is press the shutter button and hope the appropriate settings are correct.

I recall one time the person was trying to explain that I had to press the button half way, wait until the camera focuses, and press further. Due to our language difference, the instructions had to be shown and not spoken.
Old May 12, 2015, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by chucko
They ought to be banned by international convention.
If I ever use one of them...just shoot me. the ultimate in narcissm.
Old May 12, 2015, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by Hisgirl
I'm 54 and have traveled my whole life. And mysteriously, I have photos of myself, my family...incredibly the whole group... in all of the places I ventured. And ....are you sitting down?....without a selfie stick! Amazing, huh?

I do realize we were pioneers of our time, bordering on Super Hero abilities, but hey, I've always been special.

Hahahahahaha! Thanks for the laugh.
Old May 12, 2015, 11:19 am

I'm 41 and own a Camera Extender aka Selfie Stick but I have only used it a few times in Maui and when I was walking alone on the beach at sunrise a few years ago, funny thing happened though, another human being actually walked by and asked if she could help me and I said no thank you because I was ok with me taking my own picture. And we were only two people on this stretch of beach.

Yes we have people around that could help but this is the same people that can't answer a smart phone, forget easily, so yes we do get bad photos at times but if someone is taking my picture now I say take 3 please.

The stick is used by silly people, but know your surroundings at all times. People are careless in the world, sticks, cars or even walking, better yet using their phones while walking or driving.

Btw, have taken my stick to places but never use it anymore.
Old May 12, 2015, 4:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
After spending three days in London this week I believe selfie-sticks should be use to flog the people using them.
Old May 14, 2015, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Salmontes
Yes we have people around that could help but this is the same people that can't answer a smart phone, forget easily, so yes we do get bad photos at times but if someone is taking my picture now I say take 3 please.
I always take 3-4 pictures when helping out someone else, and then ask if they're okay before wandering off. I'd feel bad about leaving them with a crappy picture, which is much easier to do with a phone than a proper camera.

Also, front cameras do tend to be lower quality than the rear cameras, so you are better off asking someone else if you want a better resolution photo.
Old May 20, 2015, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Selfie PSA

Old May 20, 2015, 4:54 pm

Perhaps its because I don't spend a lot of time at tourist-heavy locations, but I admittedly have very limited exposure to selfie sticks. The first time I saw one was during a backpacking trip through the Wind River Range in Wyoming.

Me: "Hey Dad, what's that?"
Dad: "Its a selfie stick, everybody is using them nowadays."
Me: "So you're just going to stick your phone on the end of that"
Dad: "Yup, I just tighten it right here so it doesn't fall off."
Me: "Didn't you break your last phone like two weeks ago?"
Dad: "Yeah, but that was before I had the selfie stick. Say Cheese."

I say "Cheese," the phone falls, tumbles about 10 feet down a rocky slope. The screen is broken and it won't turn on. In silence he shortens up the selfie stick, puts his phone in his pack, and we start hiking again.

No, I don't think I'll be getting one anytime soon
Old May 22, 2015, 1:46 pm
Used to be 'Scooter'

Programs: Free Agent
While I don't own one and I would never use one, I don't understand the vile hatred of them. Humans have been taking pictures of themselves since the camera was first invented so I'm really surprised to see the backlash.

Yes, they look stupid, but they allow for some really unique (and cool) photos.
Old May 22, 2015, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SANspotter
While I don't own one and I would never use one, I don't understand the vile hatred of them. Humans have been taking pictures of themselves since the camera was first invented so I'm really surprised to see the backlash.

Yes, they look stupid, but they allow for some really unique (and cool) photos.
In my opinion, it's the fact that people walk around waving those things in the air staring at themselves on a tiny screen several feet away from their faces, rather than actually watching where they are going and looking at what they presumably went there to look at.

Too much of a good thing, as they say.
Old May 22, 2015, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
In my opinion, it's the fact that people walk around waving those things in the air staring at themselves on a tiny screen several feet away from their faces, rather than actually watching where they are going and looking at what they presumably went there to look at.

Too much of a good thing, as they say.
This - I got a selfie stick in the head last yr near the Colosseum. I was standing and the guy was not even paying attention as he started waving it around to get a good angle

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.