Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Selfie Sticks

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2015, 6:54 pm

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by abmj-jr

If those stupid sticks are permitted at a venue, then my tripod should be. And the tripod is not a menace to others around me.
My thoughts exactly! ^
Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:07 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Thank goodness they will be banned at Wimbledon I am sure that most of the attendees are not the selfie stick crowd but I'm glad they are banning them just in case,
Old Apr 28, 2015, 2:17 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive- Blue, Lifemiles, AA Advantage, VIA Rail Preference, Iberia Plus
I'm 33 and I got a selfie stick earlier this year, but I use it to get angles (and reach) I normally wouldn't be able to get with just my arms.

I did try a few times to get a "selfie" with a camel and it sort of worked but I used my reg digicam as I was too paranoid about potentially dropping my camera into the sand.

I also have a tripod (and a mini one as well) so depending on what type of "picture" I'm looking to do, I'll switch b/w the 2. I normally only bring around my smaller "gorilla" style mini tripod though.

Can't really say I take too many pics of myself though. I just ask people to take pictures of me when I'm travelling around.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Don't hate the tool. Hate the person that acts like an inconsiderate fool when using it.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:49 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by javabytes
Don't hate the tool. Hate the person that acts like an inconsiderate fool when using it.
Wouldn't such a person also be known as a tool?
Old Apr 29, 2015, 11:16 am

With all the selfie stick bans, pretty soon Selfie Shoes won't be just an April Fool's joke anymore. Then instead of being poke in the eye, it would be a kick in the face.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 3:19 pm

Programs: Priority Club Plat
I'm going to ask a stupid question. I have never actually seen or held one so how does a "selfie stick" actually work ? I mean it looks like its similar to something you put your phone or gps on to stick to your car dash, your device just rests in there and then for this there is a "stick" attached so you can hold it away from you and get your picture. I can picture/get that but how does it actually work? How do you take the actual picture? With your phone so far away from you how do you push the button to take the picture ? Also are these things really secure? People feel comfy putting there $600 iphone or whatever on this with no fear of it falling out and breaking ? Just curious.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by darkhunter
I'm going to ask a stupid question. I have never actually seen or held one so how does a "selfie stick" actually work ? I mean it looks like its similar to something you put your phone or gps on to stick to your car dash, your device just rests in there and then for this there is a "stick" attached so you can hold it away from you and get your picture. I can picture/get that but how does it actually work? How do you take the actual picture? With your phone so far away from you how do you push the button to take the picture ? Also are these things really secure? People feel comfy putting there $600 iphone or whatever on this with no fear of it falling out and breaking ? Just curious.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selfie_stick
Old Apr 29, 2015, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
I use a selfie stick for my go pro while diving, with the camera pointed outwards of course...Good tool in that situation.
Old May 2, 2015, 5:10 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
I use a selfie stick for my go pro while diving, with the camera pointed outwards of course...Good tool in that situation.
Me too, except I have only dove once... The GoPole is good though, it works on land and in water.
Old May 5, 2015, 1:58 am

I don't get this stuff! What for do u need it? No really. If you want a good picture of yourself why on Earth would u do a selfie? This thing is ruining the whole concept of photography! And now they do this stick...it just blows my mind...
Old May 5, 2015, 2:49 am
Suspended

I can't even get the damn selfie stick to work with my android. I feel like all this equipment is made especially for iPhones.
Old May 5, 2015, 3:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Lesyk
I don't get this stuff! What for do u need it? No really. If you want a good picture of yourself why on Earth would u do a selfie? This thing is ruining the whole concept of photography! And now they do this stick...it just blows my mind...
What concept of photography is it ruining?
Old May 7, 2015, 11:53 am

Programs: American AAdvantage
When did they start calling them "Selfie Sticks"? It was called a pocket camera extender when I bought mine a couple years back. It was perfect for taking photos against a backdrop (e.g., Darling Harbour) when no one was nearby. In the past, I had to place my camera on something.

It's called having some common sense. I would never consider using it indoors or a crowded area. If someone accidentally bumps into it or me, my camera's going to drop.

The same folks who are irresponsible with a selfie stick would most likely be irresponsible with other aspects of photography. For instance, ignoring signs about flash photography being forbidden.
Old May 8, 2015, 1:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sant
For instance, ignoring signs about flash photography being forbidden.
I've thought about this phenomenon and I think it's just that people don't like to be told "no" on a vacation. They simply don't accept "no" as a possible outcome.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.