Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Selfie Sticks

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2015, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982
To the people complaining about selfie sticks, would you rather people bother you to take their picture and then checking to see if you did a good job?
Yes! Then there's no danger of getting my eye poked out by someone waving their stick about.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 2:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by west49th
Yes! Then there's no danger of getting my eye poked out by someone waving their stick about.
That's true but then there are the annoying people who tell their camera man to space out about 20 feet and then you feel obligated to wait for them to snap before you walk through it. I truly hate that.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 2:57 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
To the people complaining about selfie sticks, would you rather people bother you to take their picture and then checking to see if you did a good job?
Um. Yes? Have helped people about a gazillion occasions, never a problem.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 3:00 am

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
Yes! In fact, I usually offer first, if I see someone taking a friend's photo at a good site...but I'll never help someone struggling with a selfie stick, which has the phone so far away they can't check the focus, etc.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 3:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lskohn
Yes! In fact, I usually offer first, if I see someone taking a friend's photo at a good site...but I'll never help someone struggling with a selfie stick, which has the phone so far away they can't check the focus, etc.
From the perspective of the people wanting the picture though, it's a bit tricky. In my case when I've asked strangers to take a picture, 80% of the time the pictures suck. And I really hate to ask if they can take it again as I feel that's a bit rude. So I end up with a crappy picture at an important site.

I actually find that my selfies are normally much better but of course I can't get my whole body in the shot. Which is why I like the sticks.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 3:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
A good friend I often travel with wants her picture taken every 2 minutes. I essentially was her personal photographer. But then came the selfie stick and now I have peace and quiet and can enjoy the sights. I have a love/hate relationship with it, though. I think it's obnoxious and a sign of the apocalypse, but it makes my trips with her so much nicer. The stick is here to stay.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 6:53 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by justforfun
A good friend I often travel with wants her picture taken every 2 minutes.
Wow! That sounds like everything I'm NOT.

My goal is to die with as few photos of me in existence as possible.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 7:26 am

A good friend I often travel with wants her picture taken every 2 minutes. I essentially was her personal photographer. But then came the selfie stick and now I have peace and quiet and can enjoy the sights. I have a love/hate relationship with it, though. I think it's obnoxious and a sign of the apocalypse, but it makes my trips with her so much nicer. The stick is here to stay.
I agree. Selfie sticks are getting more and more popular in the US. When I was in Japan and Korea, they were every where. And here I am seeing them more often. Just last weekend, there were a table of 6 girls sitting next to us at Pinkberries. Between the 6 of them, they have 4 selfie sticks. The entire 15 minutes we were there, they were taking selfies. My niece got a selfie stick for X'mas last year.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 8:39 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Yes. What's wrong with being social? If I wanted a photo of my group I would definitely rather ask a passer by to help out rather than spend the day with a long stick like some self-obsessed teenager.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 8:40 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I'd suggest to instead revisit your good friend list or at least recommend she undergoes therapy.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 9:05 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
Wow! That sounds like everything I'm NOT.

My goal is to die with as few photos of me in existence as possible.
+1. My rule is that (other than the occasional artistic reflection) I NEVER want to actually appear in any of my images. I don't have control over other people's shots but try to avoid those as well.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 10:00 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by Need
Between the 6 of them, they have 4 selfie sticks. The entire 15 minutes we were there, they were taking selfies.
That's because photography IS selfies! There is no other kind!

Old Mar 19, 2015, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
More famous locations' prohibition:

Forbidden City in China joins selfie stick ban over fears of damage antiques
Old Mar 19, 2015, 11:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
+1. My rule is that (other than the occasional artistic reflection) I NEVER want to actually appear in any of my images. I don't have control over other people's shots but try to avoid those as well.
So how do you prove that you actually went somewhere? No pic, no proof.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 11:59 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
So how do you prove that you actually went somewhere? No pic, no proof.
I don't have to prove anything. I enjoy the places I go. I work hard at the photography and then share what I hope are unique, non-touristy photos with family, friends and others, who never question whether I was actually there. And some of the best are sold to stock image banks or publications, none of which have ever questioned whether I was actually there or actually the one who made the shots. Likewise with copyright filings. I don't need to actually be in any of the images to get them registered as my images.

What kind of friends do you have that you have to "prove" such things??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.