Wiki Posts
Search

enlarging photos

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2015, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

enlarging photos

Hello,

I have some photos taken years back with a really low end canon pocket camera (which had the resolution settings set to the lowest) and going through them now I realised they are all too small to do anything with.

So, my question is if there is any magical trick to enlarge these without losing (too much) quality...?
Old Feb 17, 2015, 6:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronzeish
Generally speaking, no. However it depends upon how small they are now and how large you want them to be. There are many programs that offer the world but it would be best to try first to see if they can do what you need.

A good resource is http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...nlargement.htm

Alas, some of those small digital jpgs are destined to stay small until or unless someone invents better programs than we have now.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 7:53 am

I have had luck in using Photoshop CC and "Image Size" found under "Image" when I have older digital photos that I had to crop and then wanted to enlarge.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Great article that one, thanks Caronahill! And thanks ND Sol, I was going to reply that I dont have Photoshop and cannot afford it, but apparently theres a free trial: https://creative.adobe.com/products/download/photoshop, perfect! I'll have a go tonight if my old laptop can handle it.

...it depends upon how small they are now and how large you want them to be.
They are 800px wide at the moment and apparently need to be 1100px at 300 dpi says the print place (http://print24.com/uk/)

Lets see how this works. I guess I wont know until its all done.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by twost
Great article that one, thanks Caronahill! And thanks ND Sol, I was going to reply that I dont have Photoshop and cannot afford it, but apparently theres a free trial: https://creative.adobe.com/products/download/photoshop, perfect! I'll have a go tonight if my old laptop can handle it.

They are 800px wide at the moment and apparently need to be 1100px at 300 dpi says the print place (http://print24.com/uk/)

Lets see how this works. I guess I wont know until its all done.
Good luck. Also you can get LightRoom, LR Mobile and Photoshop CC all for a total of $10 per month on a subscription basis. That makes Photoshop much more affordable. Nowadays I do use LightRoom for most of my processing, but certainly use PS on an as-needed basis (which is becoming less and less). For example, needed to access the Liquify filter last night for a change that I couldn't possibly do in LR.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Sorry ND Sol I didnt notice your reply until now, but thanks, monthly charge does sound quite good actually.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by ND Sol
Good luck. Also you can get LightRoom, LR Mobile and Photoshop CC all for a total of $10 per month on a subscription basis...
If you have any affiliation with an educational institution, you may be able to do a lot better. As a university faculty member, I pay $9.99 per year (not month) for the entire Creative Cloud suite. I don't know if every school has a similar arrangement with Adobe, but it's worth checking.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I'm wondering if this is possible (although perhaps pricey)

1. print the photo in a (small) size that maximizes its maximum potential clarity at current resolution after adjusting the color, tone and other features to your preference
2. take the print to a professional photo lab - have the lab take a very high resolution photo or scan of the small print and save digitally
3. make a print of the newly higher resolution digital negative or scan in the desired size
Old Mar 14, 2015, 3:48 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I'm wondering if this is possible (although perhaps pricey)

1. print the photo in a (small) size that maximizes its maximum potential clarity at current resolution after adjusting the color, tone and other features to your preference
2. take the print to a professional photo lab - have the lab take a very high resolution photo or scan of the small print and save digitally
3. make a print of the newly higher resolution digital negative or scan in the desired size

I think it really just depends how low the original resolution is. You're never going to gain resolution. You might kinda mask the individual pixels by going through the steps of printing, scanning, printing because each analog step introduces more "noise."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.