SD vs. MicroSD

Old Feb 8, 2015, 8:01 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
SD vs. MicroSD

Is there any reason not to use a microSD + adapter in a camera that only accepts SD cards? I have a camera and a GoPro, it would be convenient if they all have the same type of cards so I can swap them around.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
I am all on MicroSD with the exception of older cards.

I like the idea that I can use them in camera with adapter and all my other devices: smartphone, Blackberry passport, tablet, kindle, etc.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by agp423
Is there any reason not to use a microSD + adapter in a camera that only accepts SD cards? I have a camera and a GoPro, it would be convenient if they all have the same type of cards so I can swap them around.
Given cards with the same specs and cost, and if you're not the sort to lose microSD cards, no particular reason not to.

There are still advantages to regular SD, but they don't apply to most people:
* They're available in really huge sizes (up to 512gb) albeit at a huge price
* The largest microSD (128gb) are still a bit pricier than the comparably sized SD cards; at more normal sizes (32-64gb seems to be the sweet spot for both) there's pretty much no price difference anymore.
* The very fastest cards (95mbps, UHS-I/U3) were until recently only available in SD; there are now some microSD cards that fast. OTOH, unless you're doing high bit-rate video (if you are, you know already) the difference between that and a 45mbps UHS-I/U1 card (tons available) is unlikely to matter, and for both SD and microSD there is a non-trivial price premium between the U1 and U3 cards.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 6:18 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
It seems like there is no reason not to use microSD+adapter for the everyday camera/GoPro use. Thanks!
Old Feb 13, 2015, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by agp423
It seems like there is no reason not to use microSD+adapter for the everyday camera/GoPro use. Thanks!
It does involve an extra set of connections (between the micro SD card and the adapter) that can go wrong. Simpler is better.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 2:24 pm

Location: SFO, SJC, OAK, LVK AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, LUV A-List, Hyatt Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Commercial Pilot (not employed by airlines)
SD & MicroSDs are too slow for my work which is why I am all CF. If speed's important to you then you may want to give CFs a look.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by pushback
SD & MicroSDs are too slow for my work which is why I am all CF. If speed's important to you then you may want to give CFs a look.
Kind of just a matter of what your camera takes; there are a few pro cameras that take both but for the most part it's one or the other. Suggesting CF isn't useful if the OP doesn't have a camera that can use it.

(If you want really fast, there's C-Fast but as far as I know, no camera yet takes it.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.