Search

The Daily Shot

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2016, 11:08 am

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU
Rose petals on the table are so romantic
Old Jan 14, 2016, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by JohnRain
For my birthday dinner last Saturday we went to 114 Faubourg at the Bristol, one of my favourite restaurants in Paris as regular readers know. I was keen to try the new evening menu, which was introduced just a few days prior.
It was a wonderful dinner with great food and lovely staff, as always.
We visited here in October for my girlfriends birthday. I knew the (now ex) Director of Rooms from his time at The Connaught, so we stayed at Le Bristol for the weekend at his invite and had a wonderful time. Sadly I was actually disappointed with 114 and didn't particularly enjoy it, even though the staff were absolutely wonderful and they ended up presenting my girlfriend with her 3rd cake of the day(!). However, just as hope was being lost, they brought out their desserts and all was forgiven. I ended up ordering the same dessert twice as it was just that good. I would now go back again, yet just have 6 desserts.....I'm now starting to see why I put on so much weight over Christmas.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 1:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Originally Posted by MacMyDay
We visited here in October for my girlfriends birthday. I knew the (now ex) Director of Rooms from his time at The Connaught, so we stayed at Le Bristol for the weekend at his invite and had a wonderful time. Sadly I was actually disappointed with 114 and didn't particularly enjoy it, even though the staff were absolutely wonderful and they ended up presenting my girlfriend with her 3rd cake of the day(!). However, just as hope was being lost, they brought out their desserts and all was forgiven. I ended up ordering the same dessert twice as it was just that good. I would now go back again, yet just have 6 desserts.....I'm now starting to see why I put on so much weight over Christmas.
MacMyDay, 6 desserts sounds like a bit much...
I'd suggest you have the artichoke soup with foie gras as starter and the sole as main, both are outstanding.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 7:47 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Terrace & Private Pool of The St Regis Bangkok Penthouse

This looks great!
Old Jan 24, 2016, 7:50 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
To celebrate my mother's birthday, we went to 2 Michelin star Anne-Sophie Pic at the Lausanne Beau-Rivage Palace. It was a wonderful lunch and I'll let the photos do the talking...

What a decadent meal!!
Old Jan 26, 2016, 1:22 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your comments, NYBanker! On Thursday I'll post a few pics of my upcoming dinner at Epicure, Paris.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 4:16 am
Original Poster

Game season is over soon, the perfect excuse to go back to my favourite restaurant in the world, the amazing 3 Michelin star Epicure at the Bristol in Paris.
To be honest I'm not happy with the pictures below and this is due to the fact that I'm a poor flash photographer. I'd appreciate any comments on how to improve this (especially the shadow in the lower middle part of the photos is annoying and I don't know how to get rid of it). I hope you'll be able to enjoy the pictures nonetheless...

Amuse-bouche

Black truffle, artichoke and foie gras macaroni

Purple sea urchins

Venison

Cheese selection

Priceless Nyangbo Chocolate: liquid cocoa, thin tile wafers and gold gilded sorbet

Lemon from Menton: frosted with limoncello, with pear and preserved lemon

It was a perfect dinner as the food was superb, the staff very friendly and we were also able to visit the kitchen, which is always fascinating. Next time I'll bring my camera along...
Old Jan 29, 2016, 9:04 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
The shadow is from the front part of the lens. It means the flash is too low on the camera, the lens is too long for flash use or both. Try shooting with a shorter focal length or with another, shorter lens and no lens hood. Best would be to get the flash off the camera but that may not be possible depending on what camera/lens combo you use.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 3:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
The shadow is from the front part of the lens. It means the flash is too low on the camera, the lens is too long for flash use or both. Try shooting with a shorter focal length or with another, shorter lens and no lens hood. Best would be to get the flash off the camera but that may not be possible depending on what camera/lens combo you use.
Thanks for your comment, abmj-jr.
I thought along the same lines, but my camera is a Sony RX 100 III, which means I can neither change the lens nor the flash. I'll experiment a bit with the focal length though.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 11:38 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Found this for you. Looks like you need to change the camera from "W" to "T" and change your position a bit. The relevant part is at the bottom of the page in the "notes."

http://docs.esupport.sony.com/dvimag.../04/03/03.html
Old Jan 31, 2016, 6:02 am

Miam miam. Did you eat the top part of the dessert before taking the picture ? Hihi
Old Feb 1, 2016, 3:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Found this for you. Looks like you need to change the camera from "W" to "T" and change your position a bit. The relevant part is at the bottom of the page in the "notes."

http://docs.esupport.sony.com/dvimag.../04/03/03.html
Excellent information, thank you very much for sharing it, abmj-jr!

Originally Posted by CGRA
Miam miam. Did you eat the top part of the dessert before taking the picture ? Hihi
Haha, it takes a real connaisseur to notice that... ^
The other half of the chocolate sphere was indeed removed and placed on a separate plate by the waiter before I could snap the photo.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Impressions from a recent seasonal lunch menu at L'Auberge d'Hermance, Geneva.

Pumpkin amuse-bouche

Topinambour salad

Fried duck liver with apples, balsamico and brioche

Wild boar ravioli with quince

Slow-cooked beef with mashed potatoes and winter vegetables

Deconstructed egg white, elderberry and kiwi

Apple strudel with vanilla ice cream

And a baby chocolate Gugelhupf to close off this great lunch.

Old Feb 17, 2016, 3:21 am
Original Poster

What better way to end a Valentine's Day than a cocktail followed by a Tchaikovsky concert in the beautiful Jacquemart-André museum in Paris.

First a visit of some of the museum's rooms...

...including this one with a few Rembrandts on display

And then to the concert room with great acoustics due to the very high ceiling.

Old Feb 17, 2016, 10:27 am

Niceeeeeee))

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.