Where to buy a Nikom D610 in Tokyo?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to buy a Nikom D610 in Tokyo?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2014, 1:39 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

You need to have a Visa card for it to work... http://www.visa-news.jp/visitjapan/en/
Old Dec 14, 2014, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by LH4116
Does MAP Camera also do taxfree?
Yes they do, you must have your passport with you and in typical japanese fashion there's an extra 20 minutes for filling in a mass of paperwork. It's no problem though, I've done it a number of times and it's a process all the staff know well.

I have been looking at the cameras they have on offer, and I did notice that used D600's were sold for as little as 85-90K Yen. Would it be worth getting a used one instead of a new one? I know that the D600 had issues with oil and dust, so I'm wondering if the used ones that the stores sell also suffer from this issue, or if they check to make sure that they're 100% working. I guess getting a used one would leave some extra money to pick up a lens.
All the second hand gear will be there so the best thing to do is take a look. To get a good rating that means it will have all the original accessories, packaging etc
Old Dec 15, 2014, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I noticed that MAP Camera accepts 16 different credit cards, but MasterCard is not listed among them. Is this a typo, or do they not accept MasterCard? I find this very strange considering how common MasterCard is. I'm guessing this poses some major issues since very few ATM machines accept foreign cards.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 8:55 am

Lucky Gift Bags

Thanks for the advice! I guess I'll just go for a factory new one from Yodobashi if the price difference isn't that much. 139K Yen is a very good price compared to Scandinavia. Does anybody know if they have boxing day sales at these camera stores? I'm visiting Tokyo over Xmas and New Year's.
One thing to keep in mind if you're there for New Year's is the Lucky Gift Bag ("Fukubukuro"), where many stores will sell mystery bags of merchandise at discounted prices. Although I don't know what camera stores are likely to do (and you probably shouldn't depend on it to buy a camera!), Apple traditionally offers some unbelievable lucky bags that have included things like MacBook Airs or iPads at incredible prices. Maybe someone here knows what camera stores in Japan are likely to have in their lucky bags.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 11:38 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I noticed that MAP Camera accepts 16 different credit cards, but MasterCard is not listed among them. Is this a typo, or do they not accept MasterCard? I find this very strange considering how common MasterCard is. I'm guessing this poses some major issues since very few ATM machines accept foreign cards.
They show sixteen logos, none Maestro debit or other card, nor MasterCard. It doesn't look good, but there's a link at the bottom of the page you can use to contact them. I'd try that.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 11:55 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

And even though most ATM's don't accept foreign cards, there are plenty that do. Look for 7-11's or Postbank. Better yet get a visa card for that extra 5% discount.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 6:32 pm

Can't remember if I've used a master card there to be honest, it would surprise me if they didn't. It's only a 2 minute walk from yodobashi so if they don't just walk to their shop and buy it from there (take a printout from the map website though)
Old Dec 24, 2014, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
A small update: I went for a 2nd hand D610 from MAP Camera. It was practically new, as it had only been returned by a previous customer. Got a 28mm 1.8 lens to go along, with the price totaling 166K JPY with the tax discount applied. That's a bargain price considering you can't even get the body in Sweden for that price. And yes they did accept Master Card.

Last edited by LH4116; Jan 5, 2015 at 11:46 am
Old Dec 25, 2014, 3:04 pm
Suspended

I have been looking at the cameras they have on offer, and I did notice that used D600's were sold for as little as 85-90K Yen. Would it be worth getting a used one instead of a new one? I know that the D600 had issues with oil and dust, so I'm wondering if the used ones that the stores sell also suffer from this issue, or if they check to make sure that they're 100% working. I guess getting a used one would leave some extra money to pick up a lens.
Sadly, the very reason that D600s cost so much less than the D610 for what is virtually the same camera - is the uncertainty over whether or not you might have an issue with stuff flaking off of the shutter onto the sensor, and whether Nikon would make it right for you if in fact you did - especially if you were to have it serviced in a country other than where you bought it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.