Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

Some of the best aviation photos you've seen should have never been taken

Old Dec 12, 2014, 8:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

How do you balance the awesomeness of having spectacular views out the front of an airplane with the responsibility of making sure that plane operates safely? The law says you ignore the awesome and focus on the responsibility. For a number of pilots, however, thats not the decision being made. The photos they produce are spectacular. Gorgeous shots of landing approach lights, sunrises & sunsets and other situations which only a pilot will see. And they want to share these AvGeek photos. That could be a problem.

http://qz.com/233165/the-pilots-of-i...es-of-the-air/
http://blog.wandr.me/2014/12/spectac...uld-not-exist/
Old Dec 12, 2014, 9:13 am

There's nothing unsafe about taking those images, especially when there are multiple crew members in the cabin.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Yes, there is. A pilot not attending to his responsibilities and doing something non-flight related increases the risk to the aircraft. Unless you believe his/her activities are absolutely zero value added to flying the plane.

There can be various opinions on the level of risk increase, but saying it's none is simply false, IMHO.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA dirt... and btw, THE innovator of the phrase 'gate lice'. Yeah, that's right.
Originally Posted by CPRich
Yes, there is. A pilot not attending to his responsibilities and doing something non-flight related increases the risk to the aircraft. Unless you believe his/her activities are absolutely zero value added to flying the plane.

There can be various opinions on the level of risk increase, but saying it's none is simply false, IMHO.
Agreed 100%.

s4popo, you may wanna take another run at your take.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 9:32 am

> There's nothing unsafe about taking those images, especially when there
> are multiple crew members in the cabin.

+1

Good grief. Too many self-loading baggage types here, sharing their ignorance. The "rules" are considerably nuanced.

Unless jumpseaters are Type Rate'd in the equipment, they are only a little bit more than the self-loading baggage. Their ID90 pass identifies them as trusted enough to allow sitting in the pointy end. They are not "crew" for the operation of the flight. If they are Type Rate'd on the equipment, I have the discretion of assigning them crew duties.

>> But taking photos, or using most any electronic device, while piloting a commercial aircraft is
>> prohibited by American and European regulators. Pilots for airlines large and small, flying
>> planes of all sizes, seem to be violating the safety rules.

Whoever authored this [cough] gem is grossly uninformed.

There is considerable latitude re: the use of PEDs in the cockpit.

In the USA, the "rules" are canonized by the FAA's Operating Certificate for each airline/operator and in the FAA Operating Handbook that is approved for a specific aircraft model/type, for each specific airline/operator.

It's not that unusual for two airlines/operators flying essentially identical aircraft ... to have different (conflicting?) rules. If the Operating Certificate/Handbook is not specific re: PEDs, then the default rule in the USA is: Captain's discretion

Those documents are regulatory. If I color outside the lines, I am subject to enforcement/certificate action and get to plead my case (stupidity) to a (Administrative Law) Judge.

Last edited by gqZJzU4vusf0Z2,$d7; Dec 30, 2014 at 10:25 am
Old Dec 30, 2014, 4:57 pm

Programs: *G
trash authors/writers just trolling for views.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.