X100/X100s/X100t

Old Mar 23, 2015, 9:39 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
Originally Posted by barte
Great you like it.
Would love to try the x100t though
I believe the T has the same EVF as the X-T1. I'm deliberately avoiding the T so I won't be tempted to upgrade the S.

Tempting to consider the T + Instax combo though for the ultimate in travel snapshots and currying favor with subjects.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 3:37 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by sea_jeff
I believe the T has the same EVF as the X-T1. I'm deliberately avoiding the T so I won't be tempted to upgrade the S.

Tempting to consider the T + Instax combo though for the ultimate in travel snapshots and currying favor with subjects.
very diferent. X-T1 is a large-sized purely EVF. X-T1 has a hybrid optical/electronic viewfinder in smaller magnification with a novel overlap/picture-in-picture type mode
Old Apr 6, 2015, 10:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Diamond, Avis PP. Dropped UA*G.
Originally Posted by deniah
-*lens is quite soft at 2.0 negating that nice big aperture
-operation is fussy and slow... even newest iteration of X100s with newest firmware
--if you like the idea of the camera, buy a used X100 with updated firmware
-battery is horrendous
-some say the 12MP CMOS sensor of X100 renders more favorably than the 16MP X-Trans sensor of X100s and X100t........ i really cant tell TBH
I disagree with this commentary - I found it nice and sharp wide open, and thought the battery life was OK. I thought the 16MP sensor of the S was great.

I did have some different downsides - the autofocus is way too slow on the S and the RAWs sometimes come out a little 'paint'ish or pastel-hued when sent through Lightroom. You desaturating a tiny bit deals with that nicely.

It takes a lot of getting used to, but it is possible to get used to it.

Why do I talk in the past tense ? Mine hit a watery end in a ramen stall in FUK. :-( I replaced it with the XE-2 as I wanted to have more flexibility than offered by the X100s (namely, an even faster lens, and something around the 50mm @35mm equivalent). The XE-2 is great, essentially I wanted a camera that gave me as many options as my usual 5D but at a fraction of the weight for trips which I take for reasons other than photography.

I wish it was smaller though so might buy a used X100S again as a P+S.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by andyd
I disagree with this commentary - I found it nice and sharp wide open, and thought the battery life was OK. I thought the 16MP sensor of the S was great.

I did have some different downsides - the autofocus is way too slow on the S and the RAWs sometimes come out a little 'paint'ish or pastel-hued when sent through Lightroom. You desaturating a tiny bit deals with that nicely.

It takes a lot of getting used to, but it is possible to get used to it.

Why do I talk in the past tense ? Mine hit a watery end in a ramen stall in FUK. :-( I replaced it with the XE-2 as I wanted to have more flexibility than offered by the X100s (namely, an even faster lens, and something around the 50mm @35mm equivalent). The XE-2 is great, essentially I wanted a camera that gave me as many options as my usual 5D but at a fraction of the weight for trips which I take for reasons other than photography.

I wish it was smaller though so might buy a used X100S again as a P+S.
I coincidentally just taken the x100s for a big trip camping through the northeast. I took 3 cams (1 full frame and 1 m43)....just fell back in love with the 35mm eFOV and used it most the time. Easy because its landscape and theres no AF to consider.

Its still fiddly. Power switch gets knocked easily coming in and out of the bag. Doesnt fully power or does funny sleep thing (because of aforementioned problem) or otherwise not quick to start.

Battery still horrible. Always carried backups and charged it in the car.

Obviously whether you like cam or not you cant shoot ultra wide or tele so that is one hard limitation of the cam as a primary device. (The adapters go to 28 and 50 which is still standard).

And the lens diameter isnt really made for filters

I like it... Just wouldnt recommend it as a main camera
Old Apr 27, 2017, 8:13 am

Programs: AA Plt Pro, UA Silver, DL, QF; HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but have any of you "upgraded" to the x100f? I've got one on order right now...
Old Apr 27, 2017, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by AussieExPat
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but have any of you "upgraded" to the x100f? I've got one on order right now...
I gave in to GAS and went with an X-T2/X-Pro2 combo with a full complement of lenses. It's a great sensor. AF is a massive improvement over the S.

Sure you'll love the F.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 4:03 pm

Normally a Nikon DSLR user, but I recently did a trip to Italy with a new X100F as I didn't want to lug around all the gear. Thoroughly impressed with the handling, sharpness and colours of the X100F - really happy that I took the plunge. I could see myself only travelling with the X100F on future trips where the main focus is not photography.
sea_jeff likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by stargold
Normally a Nikon DSLR user, but I recently did a trip to Italy with a new X100F as I didn't want to lug around all the gear. Thoroughly impressed with the handling, sharpness and colours of the X100F - really happy that I took the plunge. I could see myself only travelling with the X100F on future trips where the main focus is not photography.
X100 series are awesome to travel with. Esp the T and F as they are newer. I've always enjoyed carrying my X100T wherever I go; the battery life stinks but otherwise very compact and takes great photos. Also forces you to zoom with your feet so good practice for composition.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 12:26 pm

X100V Thread Revival

Anyone tempted by the new lens and WR? Looks really good but I just love the flexibility of an ILC.
My ancient X100S still makes great images but I also miss the Bluetooth connectivity of the modern Fujis.

Arg. GAS.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA Plt Pro, UA Silver, DL, QF; HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
X100V Thread Revival

Anyone tempted by the new lens and WR? Looks really good but I just love the flexibility of an ILC.
My ancient X100S still makes great images but I also miss the Bluetooth connectivity of the modern Fujis.

Arg. GAS.
I've sold my x100f on eBay, and I'm currently contemplating the same issue -- whether I want to buy the x100v or go with the lens options on an x-t3 or similar. I already own a Canon 5ds with a few L lenses, so I'm leaning towards the x100v.
sea_jeff likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by AussieExPat
I've sold my x100f on eBay, and I'm currently contemplating the same issue -- whether I want to buy the x100v or go with the lens options on an x-t3 or similar. I already own a Canon 5ds with a few L lenses, so I'm leaning towards the x100v.
The struggle is real!

My hesitancy is because I have the X-T30 and the kit zoom/Fujicrons and would typically grab it over the X100S. But the V being WR and connecting well is definitely tempting.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 12:04 am

I'm holding on to my F for now, but if I had an earlier model, I think I'd upgrade to the V. The temptation for me is the X-T4 for the bigger battery and stabilization.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
I've been traveling with only my X100F more, instead of also bringing along my 6D, since I've been more and more shooting with mainly 35mm and trying to pack lighter. I'll definitely still miss having full frame f/1.4, but that's a compromise I'm pretty happy with. What I'm less happy with is not having a real camera when it rains (and phone cameras get even more annoying to use when its raining all over the touch screen).

As the X100V adds weather sealing, I'd say it's almost perfect for me. I'll wait a while for firmware kinks to get ironed out, and probably get one.
sea_jeff likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 9:48 am

X100V Thread Revival

Arg. GAS.
im on an XH1 which is modern'ish Fuji, and the smartphone connectivity of that thing is clunky and janky as all hell.

ive given up on using it for remote shots and file transfers and such.
Old May 28, 2021, 10:30 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, Bonvoy LTTit
I have the F, I don’t find the battery to be a problem, read all the reviews, bought 2 extra batteries, never had to use them. Go out for the day, take pictures, charge it at night, all good. Found it to be the best for taking good pictures and not lugging around a big camera/lens.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.